Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Anyone have one of the New Recat Trucks or Buggies yet?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Anyone have one of the New Recat Trucks or Buggies yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:40 PM
1ofmyfuns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have one of the New Recat Trucks or Buggies yet?

Just curious to whether or not anyone has one of the new Redcat Twister Stadium trucks or one of the new Buggies yet.....?????

I would really like to hear some first hand info. on these, I'm considering the S. Truck possibly, but I'm a little gun shy until I see something on them more than just a picture and a price tag.....!

Old 02-28-2011, 04:52 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Anyone have one of the New Recat Trucks or Buggies yet?

ORIGINAL: 1ofmyfuns

Just curious to whether or not anyone has one of the new Redcat Twister Stadium trucks or one of the new Buggies yet.....?????

I would really like to hear some first hand info. on these, I'm considering the S. Truck possibly, but I'm a little gun shy until I see something on them more than just a picture and a price tag.....!

considering redcat just got them in today, id doubt anyone has one. maybe a dealer has them, but doubt they have run them yet.
hard to go wrong with a $170 brushless stadium truck tho. considering is a full 540 sized can, 3930kv, it will be quick on nimh, and stupid fast on lipo. will pull a wheely with lipos for sure.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:53 PM
1ofmyfuns

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

considering redcat just got them in today, id doubt anyone has one. maybe a dealer has them, but doubt they have run them yet.
hard to go wrong with a $170 brushless stadium truck tho. considering is a full 540 sized can, 3930kv, it will be quick on nimh, and stupid fast on lipo. will pull a wheely with lipos for sure.

Ididnt know that they just came in today, I got an email a couple days ago from Redcat saying they were available for purchase... or at least that what I thought it said......probably just my bad...! and I didnt read the fine print or something.

Now on to the "stupid fast" ............

Nothing at all wrong with that, I,m curious about the actually specs of the vehicles, like do they have any known weak areas in the suspension, the not so goods pics I have seen shows what looks to be a real light duty front end, but I could be completely wrong on that, Ijust compared what Isaw to what the front suspension on my Nitro Sports looks like and hoping that they will hold up at least as good and hope that we will have a good supply of parts and upgrades for them.

And YES...! $170 for a brushless ST or Buggy is a great deal if they prove to hold up well, all I own as of now is Nitro's and I like them very much...but I'm thinking of getting my first electric and figure that Twister S.T. might be the one.

I really would like to see soem in depth specs. though, I want to know what wheels will interchange with these vehicles and the size of the tires because if Ido get one those stock tires and wheels will be the firstthing I will want to change if possible, it would be great to have the Red & Blackbodied ST with some Red wheels on it, like maybe some of the Traxxas dyable wheels that are used on the Nitro sports and such.

Iknow some of my questions may be premature but Iwill wait to get some of them answered before I will buy one of these, I want something I can upgrade the tires and wheels on and something I know Ican get all the parts for as well...

Thanks for the info. Nitro

Peace
Old 02-28-2011, 06:09 PM
foxys

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing that concerns me is that you won't be able to get most LiPos in the battery compartment. Duratrax does make some 4000mAh 30c ones that are shaped like a 6 cell NiMH pack, so you could use those for sure.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:21 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

i contact redcat soon and get some more detailed specs.
i think its safe to say it has rims with a 12mm hex. thats pretty standard for 1/10. the only thing ill have to check is if the front rims differ from the rear, like on the nitro sport or a duratrax evader which both have ball bearings in the front rims.

the a-arms, both front and rear look really beafy to me! the upper camber links are metal. should they break, im sure you could find ones from other brands that are the same length and maybe thicker.

the shock towers also are very thick.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:52 PM
1ofmyfuns

Here is a link that will get us the specs on the twister Stadium Truck, found it on the Redcat site

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1r8...-XTG-Brushless
Old 02-28-2011, 08:28 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Here is a link that will get us the specs on the twister Stadium Truck, found it on the Redcat site

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1r8...-XTG-Brushless
ha, i didnt think to look at the manual...lol
90amp brushless ESC, 3s capable with a cooling fan. pretty decent stuff.

the slipper clutch looks similar to the evader.

standard 3 gear tranny...simple and reliable design. gear diff, not ball(which is good as ball diffs cant handle brushless power)

the battery tray is a really neat feature. thats different from most any 1/10 2wd. looks like it would make swapping batteries nice and easy.

hard to be certain from the manual, but looks like the front wheels use ball bearings instead of a 12mm hex. still, nitro sport rims and many evader rims will fit. and any 2.2 tires can be put on those rims.

the rear chassis block and tranny mount are also kinda like on an evader. same with the rear tranny plate.

the rear wheel hubs also look to be thick like the a-arms.

the servo/bellcrank setup is also a pretty common design. lookes sturdy, yet easy to work on if you wanted to drop a different servo in.

only time will tell, but i think redcat has a winner with the brushless versions. speed, simple/sturdy design and good price point. 2wd trucks have less parts, which always means less to break/wear out. i personally prefer 4wd, but i am certain that both the buggy and stadium truck will be fun to drive.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:04 PM
1ofmyfuns

yeah to all you said here Nitro.....

One thing I did notice on the rear wheels is that the wheel looks to have a slot for a drive pin instead of having the 12mm nut with a pin slot, this may not be an issue if a 12mm drive nut will work and allow other wheels to be used on it and not have us limited t the factory wheels.

If the 12mm nuts will fit..........then all we will have to hope for is that the axle is long enough to get a Nyloc nut on it to hold the wheel on.

I'm also curious about the ALL PLASTIC diff. gears........who knows that might be pretty tough...!

Oh well all of this will be known soon and for the price it looks like this may be a homerun for redcat, now if we only had a Nitro version of the truck with the SH .18 engine......wow that would be some real competition for the Nitro Sports or The Nitro Rustler, HPI....ect. Stadium Trucks
Old 03-01-2011, 05:53 AM
iluvny081

i was really pumped about the stadium trucks whenI first saw them but after review I'm not so sure. with the transmission being made up of entirely plastic gears I cant see it lasting with brushless power. I hope I'm wrong thought. you guys were wondering about the wheels. wheels from a t4, losi xxxt, and evader st are all interchangeable with eachother. I would be willing to bet that any of these wheels would fit just fine on the twister. I would like someone to post up first impression and keep us updated when they get one to see how it lasts. just my .02
Old 03-01-2011, 10:17 AM
1ofmyfuns

ORIGINAL: iluvny081

i was really pumped about the stadium trucks whenI first saw them but after review I'm not so sure. with the transmission being made up of entirely plastic gears I cant see it lasting with brushless power. I hope I'm wrong thought. you guys were wondering about the wheels. wheels from a t4, losi xxxt, and evader st are all interchangeable with eachother. I would be willing to bet that any of these wheels would fit just fine on the twister. I would like someone to post up first impression and keep us updated when they get one to see how it lasts. just my .02

Your questions are also my question on all things you mentioned, I know there are types of plastic that will actually hold up better than stell in some uses but, in my experience China hasntdiscovered those plastics yet..LOL!

But seriously, from what I have seen the brushless set up has wicked power from a stand still to the top endso I know that tranny is gonna have to be pretty darn tough to handle that power, Iwould think that the first thing anyone who gets one of these trucks or buggies needs to do is pull that tranny and check it over well and then use ahigh grade lube in that diff. and make sure all the gear mess good.

Now, on the plastic gears if they are as good as thegears in the Backdraft 3.5tranny Ibet they will do pretty good, Ihave actually had to replace the metal geras inthe diffs but have yet to have an issue with the plastic gears in the tranny, they have given me zero trouble, I just added some high Tack premium grease to them and have over a gallon of fuel through it now with never a glicht in the tranny, Ihope these diff and tranny gears are as good, if they are they'll hold up well IMO

On the wheel issue....Ihope you are right about having some options because Ithink changing from those black wheels to something with some color or chrome would make those vehicles really perk up in the looks department IMO....the black is OK but the bodies look fairly dark so a brighter wheel would look better than the all dark look to me....!

Peace
Old 03-01-2011, 10:40 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

look on youtube, and see all the brushless powered tamiya lunchbox's. they have all plastic geared tranny, yet have little issue with a brushless motor on lipo. but the plastic is good and the gears are thick

if the right plastic is used, and the gears are thick enough, then they will hold up just fine.

BTW, the all steel gears in the rustler vxl........i chewed them up once in mine.

metal SHOULD be better than plastic, but again it matters WHICH metal is used and how thick the gears are.

use the wrong type of metal or plastic, and dont make the gears thick enough(which spreads the load) and they will fail.

i just bought a bunch of models this week, otherwise i would pick myself up the brushless buggy. maybe in a few weeks i can get one.
while i would prefer to see metal gears, im not that worried that the plastic ones wont work well.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:44 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a killer buggy, yes they use pins on the rear wheels like associated, it holds up great to a brushless system, excellent buggy for bashing or on the track, i highly reccomend it. I dont see any problem getting any 7.4 2s lipo in the compartment, also makes for easy and quick battery changes.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:58 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

just got off the phone with redcat, to confirm some details.

the battery tray will fit a 2s 3200mah hardcased lipo(the ones that come with the 8E models) this means that most 3s softcased lipos will also fit!!! as well as a 2s 5000mah softcased lipo.
and the battery tray door makes changing batts nice and easy. no more removing the body and losing body pins[:@]

the brushless version comes with deans plugs, yay!

the ESC is a 90amp, 3s capable.

the front tires have ball bearings, the rear use pins, as mentioned by others. and there will be other tires options out there that other companies use that have the same rims.

also allum capped shocks(good for bashing) with multiple shock mounting holes for adjustablility.

adjustable slipper clutch.

fully adjustable suspension(camber on rear, camber and toe on front)

Old 03-01-2011, 11:46 AM
iluvny081

look on youtube, and see all the brushless powered tamiya lunchbox's. they have all plastic geared tranny, yet have little issue with a brushless motor on lipo. but the plastic is good and the gears are thick

if the right plastic is used, and the gears are thick enough, then they will hold up just fine.

BTW, the all steel gears in the rustler vxl........i chewed them up once in mine.

metal SHOULD be better than plastic, but again it matters WHICH metal is used and how thick the gears are.

use the wrong type of metal or plastic, and dont make the gears thick enough(which spreads the load) and they will fail.

i just bought a bunch of models this week, otherwise i would pick myself up the brushless buggy. maybe in a few weeks i can get one.
while i would prefer to see metal gears, im not that worried that the plastic ones wont work well.
I agree that plastic gears "can" work well. my first losi xxxt had all plastic grears in the transmission and I would run it on 3s quite often, after a while I did strip the idler gear thougH(as expected) my concern is not really on the 3 main grears. my concern lay's heavinly on the 4 plastic planetary gears in the differential. even if they are made if high quality urethan/plastic/or even delrin. I really feel they are too small a peice to be able to handle a high amount of power without failing. someone had mentioned taking the transmission apart and making sure the diff. is properly lubricated before your first run. that is a great idea but I think the gears might fail due to stress alone. I guess it could be avoided if you set the slipper loosely. but either way, i'm definitely interested in seeing how they work out.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:51 AM
foxys

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget the Associated RC10B4 uses pins, in fact these cars and the duratrax evader models all seem to be quite similar... So finding wheels really should not be an issue.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:17 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

i hear you foxy, on the plastic planitary gears.
a properly set slipper clutch is must whether you have metal or plastic gears.

one could always lock the diff, making it a solid unit would hurt the turning but aid in traction.

it may be that steal gears will be an upgrade option? talked to redcat today and they said hop-ups will be availible in 2-3 weeks.

but as i mentioned before, the tamiya lunchbox uses all plastic gears, including the planitary gears. even tho that chassis was designed WAY before brushless was out, the plastic drivetrain can handle brushless even on 3s lipo.
it really comes down to material quality and thickness as to whether it can handle the power.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:10 PM
1ofmyfuns

i hear you foxy, on the plastic planitary gears.
a properly set slipper clutch is must whether you have metal or plastic gears.

one could always lock the diff, making it a solid unit would hurt the turning but aid in traction.

it may be that steal gears will be an upgrade option? talked to redcat today and they said hop-ups will be availible in 2-3 weeks.

but as i mentioned before, the tamiya lunchbox uses all plastic gears, including the planitary gears. even tho that chassis was designed WAY before brushless was out, the plastic drivetrain can handle brushless even on 3s lipo.
it really comes down to material quality and thickness as to whether it can handle the power.
You said it right there Nitro.....if the material is good they should do just fine......dang I want to order one of these trucks right now but I just spent $100+ today getting my wife computer fixed and that cut into my play money a bit.....

But I will have on ein a couple of weeks......now Ijust have to figure whichcolor Iwant.....oh well probably wont matter because Iplan to strip the factory paint and make it my own....like Idid my Backdraft.......

Agree 100% Nitro/Electroand thanks for doing the checking into stuff for us......

Peace
Old 03-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Hack u 2

Ordered both in standard brushed, and ordered buggy in brushless. Will be here friday. Will drive and report ASAP. So I have three on the way!!!!
I am a new Redcat dealer so I have been buying all cars except for 1/5th scale. The brushless states 7.2-14 volts so that should give some wicked speed options!
Old 03-04-2011, 08:15 PM
1ofmyfuns

Bump.......thats all hoping someone will post something on these new ones.....
Old 03-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Hack u 2

Ok got cars yesterday...here goes... XB , XB pro, and XTG. The bodies are typical redcat ( not a fan of there lexan) the buggies wings are very thin and brittle and the tires for the rear are horrible on all three cars.....Now everything else is a home run....I love the frames and electronics...talk about micro recievers! These cars are fully adjustable and can compete at race level without a doubt..kinda up in the air with the underside battery release only cause its new and different. There is no way a rock or clump of dirt can release this tray so no worries...they are pinch together pins. if you put a Team associated T4 next to the XTG you can see some serious similarities...infact they copied LOL. Same goes for th XB and B4. I am not saying these are replicas...but very very similar! Best bang for buck without a doubt....you cant find a better cheaper car on the planet. You can find better and you can find cheaper....but not better and cheaper! My grade A
Old 03-08-2011, 02:44 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Hack u 2

Ok got cars yesterday...here goes... XB , XB pro, and XTG. The bodies are typical redcat ( not a fan of there lexan) the buggies wings are very thin and brittle and the tires for the rear are horrible on all three cars.....Now everything else is a home run....I love the frames and electronics...talk about micro recievers! These cars are fully adjustable and can compete at race level without a doubt..kinda up in the air with the underside battery release only cause its new and different. There is no way a rock or clump of dirt can release this tray so no worries...they are pinch together pins. if you put a Team associated T4 next to the XTG you can see some serious similarities...infact they copied LOL. Same goes for th XB and B4. I am not saying these are replicas...but very very similar! Best bang for buck without a doubt....you cant find a better cheaper car on the planet. You can find better and you can find cheaper....but not better and cheaper! My grade A
sounds like good stuff there. brushless and RTR for the price of those models in brushed form!
kinda figured the tires were not top notch. look kinda soft to me. but then, if you are gonna race any buggy/stadium truck you would probly upgrade the tires and any RTR.
i already have several fast brushless truck, one being the redcat earthquake 8e. but im still considering getting one of the xb pro's for myself!
Old 03-08-2011, 06:22 PM
1ofmyfuns

I wonder if the associated T4 bodies will fit on the XTG ST?

If so this might be a good upgrade for when the original body gives up the ghost......

What didi you  mean buy MICRO RX Hack u 2?

Will a standard RX not fit in the RX compartment of these vehicles?
Old 03-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Hack u 2

Yes the b4 and t4 bodies fit (exact) just need to move holes..As I stated these are clones...lol..the recievers are the size of quartes thats what I ment by micro....I recomend getting these you can pm me or nitrosportsandrunner for sweet deals!!