Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Two speed for avalanche?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 01:38 AM
firestetz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two speed for avalanche?

I'm in the market for a new truck and really like the avalanche because it's a great upgrade from my 16 year old stampede and fits in my budget but I was really wanting a two speed truck and like the earthquake 3.5 but from everything I have read and seen the avalanche is allot stronger and holds up to more punishment. I started thinking about atwo speed mod for the avalanche and was wondering if anyone here has attempted it or seen it done and what parts were used if it has been done? Don't get me wrong I'm not going to buy a brand new truck and start cutting it up as soon as I get it but I do plan on trying this in the future.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:59 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Two speed for avalanche?

i did a google and youtube search and came up with no 2-speed conversions.

i did find a couple of comparisons of the avalanche to trucks with t 2-speed trannies, and it was said the avalanche was the same speed. one guy said he owned a revo and the avalanche. said he liked both, that they were both just as durable and the same top speed.
he said the avalanche's advantages was being alittle easier to work on and costing $300 meant it was $150 less than the revo.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:43 PM
firestetz

Speed is cool but I was thinking more of durability. Most of the problems that I've read about are drivetrain issues and a two speed would be stressed less and therefore lower stress on other parts.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:49 PM
foxys

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having owned both 2-speed models and single speeds, there's a reason that in off road racing you never see a 2-speed. They break down more and are another adjustment to make. Ipersonally won't buy a car with a 2-speed. A 2-speed means it needs a bigger motor, but doesn't have it.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:52 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: foxys

Having owned both 2-speed models and single speeds, there's a reason that in off road racing you never see a 2-speed. They break down more and are another adjustment to make. I personally won't buy a car with a 2-speed. A 2-speed means it needs a bigger motor, but doesn't have it.
gotta agree with ^^^
big motor means big power, and no need for a fancy tranny. in fact, if it had a 2 speed all that power would likely just cause it to break. put alot of power through a complex tranny and something will give. the single speed tranny is simple and durable.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:05 PM
firestetz

That is what you normally see in rc vehicles under powered engine and two speed transmission but the same idea can be used to lessen the stress on the spur gear and transmission and put the stress on the parts that are repaired easier and should be designed to handle it.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:22 AM
Dragonii

I have an Avalanche and have a buddy with an Earthquake 3.5. Go Avi! The single speed is a lot less complicated and will be more durable. As for speed, he has yet to best my Avalanche. Not to mention that the overall truck is just built so much better.

A bit of insight...    This is what makes the Avalanche system better in my eyes. It doesn't have an actual transmission at all. What it has is a center differential, just like what you have between the front wheels and between the back wheels. What this means is that you have only one speed, but you get evenly distributed power. With a traditional two speed tranny set up you will get more power to the rear of the vehicle leading to popping wheelies, flipping etc. With a center dif you see something different. When you punch it the power goes to all four wheels more evenly. If the front wheels do start to come off of the ground power is diverted from the rear to the wheels in the front causing it to drop back down on all fours, therefore keeping all four wheels on the ground. So what you get is a truck that doesn't waste energy. It may not do the wheelies or backflips that look so cool in Youtube videos... but it will handle well and does a pretty good job of keeping up with a two speed. All that speed does no good if you are your back like a turtle.