Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

volcano s30

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 01:14 PM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default volcano s30

looking for a basher and thinking of the s30 just looking for some info thats more then "redcat blows stayaway" whats some common problem parts and of course is it worth it have a hpi firestorm my first rc but im looking for a 2nd car to bash with so i dont run 1 car to death not made of money so im looking at alittle cheaper rc as they all break anyway

Old 03-04-2011, 01:17 PM
rccrazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: volcano s30

dude its truely a great car. more than enough power and plenty of run time. suprizingly durable i think it was totoaly worth every cent.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:09 PM
johnr2604

I personally would go with the caldera If you want a redcat 1/10 Monster truck. It can be had for close to the same price and is far better IMO. It dosn't have as many hop ups as the volcano but is better built stock. It uses big bore shocks, a slipper clutch and almost all the drivetrain is the same as their 1/8th scale stuff. Not saying the volcano is bad but I just think you get more for the money with the caldera. I've had to replace far less stuff on my caldera than my tornado s30 which uses a lot of the same drivetrain as the volcano. I bought the tornado and the caldera at the same time.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:23 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a lot of the "redcat sucks" comments are from those who bought a nitro, and didnt know how to breakin the motor or run a nitro.
if you already know how a nitro motor works, you will have few problems with the volcano s30 or the caldera 3.0
Old 03-04-2011, 09:37 PM
cswtornado

Caldera > Volcano. I know this is total flaming but my Tornado broke like crazy, and the Volcano is the same car. Get a Caldera... I wish I did!
Even better yet, get the 1/8 scale pro... They are really good.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:45 AM
echthelion

caldera huh is it that much better? most hop up are worthless anyway how is the trans in it.  i know 2 speeds mean just that much more parts that can break
Old 03-05-2011, 07:24 AM
1ofmyfuns

I dont have a Volcano or a Caldera truck but Ihave the Backdraft 3.5 1/8 scale and it has the 2 speed tranny, I've had ZERO..! issue with the 2 speed tranny, works great.

The Caldera alsohaving the slipper clutch will for sure help with saving the spur gear when jumping the truck around which takes some of the beating off the tranny also.

From what I've read If Iwere to but a 1/10 Redcat 4wdTruck it would be the Caldera, more for the $'s IMO.......!

just my 2 cents

Peace
Old 03-05-2011, 08:55 AM
echthelion

does the caldera have metal gears in the front and rear dif?
Old 03-05-2011, 09:06 AM
1ofmyfuns

Yep, all the gears in the diffs are steel/metal.......they are the same gears as used in the AFTERSHOCK 3.0, AFTERSHOCK 3.5, AFTERSHOCK 8E, BACKDRAFT 8E, EARTHQUAKE 8E, BACKDRAFT 3.5, CALDERA, EARTHQUAKE 3.0, EARTHQUAKE 3.5

Just need to pull the diff's and check the spacing to see if they need to be shimmed IMO, not always needed.....but good insurance on thediffs easy to do and doesnt take much time and alsogives a chance to add some good diff oil and greasethe ring &pinion gears with some high quality grease.

If Ihad of done this to my Backdraft it would have saved me a couple of headaches in the begginning, thats the good thing about the Caldera, it shares many of the same parts as the 1/8 scale trucks and Buggies.................

here's a link to the diff gear set-up listed on www.rufaster.com 's web site..........

Old 03-05-2011, 09:16 AM
johnr2604

Yep as stated it has metal gears. The only thing I have broken on my caldera is the spur gear and only after a half day of doing this so you could say its my fault LOL
www.youtube.com/user/jetskiking
Old 03-06-2011, 03:59 PM
echthelion

hmm sounds like the caldera is a 1/10 version of a 1/8th lol
Old 03-06-2011, 06:15 PM
1ofmyfuns

Yep pretty much it is...
Old 03-11-2011, 03:59 PM
punchritch

Anyone out there know of any engines that will fit the Volcano S30?Looking for more power!
Old 03-12-2011, 02:58 PM
mugwart
My Feedback: (3)

i have the volcano and wenr through all the neccessary steps to brake in the motor but i am wondering if there is a 2 speed transmission available for it
Old 03-20-2011, 05:22 AM
Scheeringa

I have a volcano S30 and have pretty much replaced everything on it. It's been great in the sense that I learned a lot about the hobby in a short amount of time. With either of them you just need some time to find the weak links and buy enough spare dogbones and other little parts to minimize your downtime. My fiance wants to get a truck so she can play with me, and after reading this forum maybe I'll buy a caldera, and move my engine and radio into that, then give her my Volcano...hmm

For the other posts, any .18 standard shaft engine with a rotary carb should fit. I've heard the the O.S. engine's CV line is a direct bolt-in with the exhaust and everything. I got a TZ coming for mine, but it was also a additional 120 bucks for the new header and pipe. Ouch!

The 2 speed tranny, I heard nothing but bad things. I got the Shockwave direct drive trans and it gives me a few more options with clutch bells and gearing.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:15 PM
cswtornado

The two speed was the only part on my Tornado that didn't break. Now you wanna talk about tempermental, think about the Savage's three speed. [:@]