Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Shocks/Suspension Dropping

Old 03-04-2011, 03:09 PM
nazUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks/Suspension Dropping

<meta charset="utf-8" />
<meta charset="utf-8">
Hi
I need some advice from you guys who have come across the same problem, if any and how you experienced RC guys over came it all.
Right basically as I have upgraded my 18cxp engine to a big block 28cxp the back right side where the engine sits seems to drop and is prettynoticeable. My shocks are adjustable but it doesn't seem to help even when I adjust them. Alsobaringin mind the left side is always higher so it'stilted if you know what I mean.
What do you guys think is the best way to fix this?
I've also bought some pre-load spacers which will probably arrive Monday if not Tuesday not sure if it will help
The other thing I noticed as well is I have lost the bounce - do you think another avenue I could pursue is firmer or maybe softer springs?
Anyway love to hear your ideas
Thanks
</meta>
Old 03-04-2011, 04:58 PM
JTuepker1

Default RE: Shocks/Suspension Dropping

Softer will just make it droop more. Firmer will help out on springs. I would try adjusting the oil weight a bit and a slightly stiffer spring and set your rear drive shafts after a 6 to 8 inch drop so it rebounds parallel to the surface your dropping on. You might with the new motor have to adjust the one side more. Bigger is nice but also means more weight.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:02 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

agreed, use a stiffer spring and a higher weight(thicker) shock oil.
you should be able to find both things at any hobby shop
Old 03-04-2011, 05:46 PM
foxys

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What model is this, If it's an Earthquake, Aftershock, or Backdraft Traxxas Revo Spring fit.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:17 PM
nazUK

Thanks for the detailed explaination JT thats really useful stuff.... exactly the sort of specific answer I was looking for
I knew the softer springs were a no no and I didn't really think about changing the oil. Nitro mentioned thicker oil and I know there are different grades of shock oils - do I just go for the thickest or is it a matter of trial and error?
Foxys to your question it's a Landslide, I bought this as a Landslide LT which had a 18cxp Team Infinity engine and I'm a bit break apart put together make it better sort of guy, from what I have read best way to learn about nitro's
It's sick fast now does wheelies, has a SH. 28 / 6-port engine

Sorry about the light it's dark right now and it was taken with my smartphone some pics for you guys to look at......

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52292.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1573401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38878.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1573402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30986.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1573403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16329.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	1573404  
Old 03-04-2011, 08:27 PM
JTuepker1

My old savage i went from the 18 to a 26 on it and went and used about a 50 weight i think it was, been looking for my old set up sheets and cant find. hard drive crashed a few months back and dont think i recovered everything. But 50 is middle of road . Try that and adjust from there with spring if you cant get what your looking for there step up either a slightly stiffer spring or try 55 or 60 weight. Some carry 55 some dont so dont be afraid of the 60 either though.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:34 AM
nazUK

Ah cool some sound info thanks JT has giving me an idea of what direction to go and how and which grade to use.......
Old 03-11-2011, 06:22 AM
nazUK

Hi everyone

OK I bought thicker oil for my shocks and because I couldn't find springs for my Truck I'm also using pre-loads.
Seem's to have done the job but one side of the spring is quite low with the combination of using my already fitted adjustable shocks and adding pre-loads to make it go higher, doesn't really bother me but I was thinking ideally does anyone know what brand springs will be compatible for my Truck, obviously I need stiffer springs.
I bought a pair before but the size meaning width and length was all wrong, although they were Hard in strength when compared to my stock springs they seemed pretty much the same in strength.... so I am thinking I need Super or Very Hard Springs.
The problem I am facing is the stock springs are and correct me if I am wrong 70mm x 18mm part #60002 and basically I just can't find Super/Very Hard Springs that are compatible so if anyone knows which springs I should be looking at please give me a heads up.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-11-2011, 09:24 AM
JTuepker1

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/6746/

Purple super firm hpi springs may be a little longer so might not have to preload as much. Take the part number to your lhs and see if they can order or you can order it online.

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/6745/

Next step down if you dont want the super firm these are thier firm springs and should still help out.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:24 AM
nazUK

I seen these but I noticed they are 14.4mm wide, the length I can deal with.But isn't the width on these too small?!.... as mentioned before the Redcat stock springs are 18mm wideSo I'm a bit confused why you think these are correct
Old 03-11-2011, 10:56 AM
JTuepker1

They are sorry was thinking something else. Ok ill look around for the 18 mm.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:21 AM
JTuepker1

http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-REVO-Spe...item5642c1df1d

Traxxas Spring set not bad for the price since you get 2 of each color and spring rate can adjust from there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RDLogics-Color-S...item1e622bc31c

another set and this add shows the spring rates for each color of the sets.