Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

15% Nitro 18% oil PowerMaster Fuel.....!

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

15% Nitro 18% oil PowerMaster Fuel.....!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:46 PM
1ofmyfuns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15% Nitro 18% oil PowerMaster Fuel.....!

Just wanted to share something Itried in my Backdraft 3.5

Ipicked up a gallon of the 15% Nitro 18%oil PowerMaster Fuel the other day and wow what I difference it made in how well my Backdraft runs........!

I had been running Maxy's 20% Nitro mix & alsothe PowerMaster 20% Nitro 13% oil Fuel and neither of these fuels ran as good in my buggy as the 15% N. 18% Oil does......

What's wierd about all this is that I was expecting to loose some power and acceleration when I dropped down to the15% Nitro mix but instead my buggy actually runs better and it is very noticable in throttle response especially, now if I let it just sit and idle for very long it does tend to load up a bit quicker than with the 20% N. but once it clears it makes very nice power.....this is all I will ever run in this Buggy again for sure.......

Iknow I may get some response that says what I have discribed just isnt possible and that the 20% N 13% oil mix will produce more power but I can tell you from experience with my buggy that this 15%N. 18%oil mix will run circles around how it ran with the 20% N. ect...mix

Now Imay not have this same results in my Nitro Sport Trucks with them having the little .15 engines, Idont know about them yet, one has a dirty carb that wont tune right nowand the other is waiting on a rear shock tower to be replaced after a severe upside down landing on a big jump..... these smaller engines may be affected in a negative way with the increase in oil and decrease in Nitro.....I run these truck a lot so I will know very quickly if they are gonna like this mix or not...... I wish Redcat would come along with some 2WD Nitro Stadium Trucks Iwould buy one if they would hold up to as much abuse as My Traxxas Nitro Sports do......they just go and go with very little trouble.!

A Redcat 2WDStadium Truck with the SH .18 would be a very cool set up or maybe even the SH .21 and a dang good wheelie bar on back....! that would be wicked fast...........

Anyway... just thought I would share info onhowmuch my SH .21 loves the PowerMaster15% N. 18% oil mix

Oh....and my LHS sells the 15% fuel for $7 per gallon less they for the 20%...!

$19.95 a gallon vs $26.95
I know they buy way more of the 15% than they do the 20% most people around these parts dont run the land vehicles, they fly planes so the 15% is much more popular, the owner told me he buys around60-70 cases of the 15% at a time so I guess he gets a good discount for doing so, thus the $7price difference.

Peace
Old 03-04-2011, 09:33 PM
cswtornado

Default RE: 15% Nitro 18% oil PowerMaster Fuel.....!

That's weird how that works.... You seem to work real well with the low nitros, and over in the Savage forums everyone is going on about the benefits of 30%! To each is own, I guess. Maybe your old %20 was just crappy fuel? It defies logic that a low nitro high oil fuel runs faster than a higher nitro...
Old 03-05-2011, 06:51 AM
1ofmyfuns

All I can figure is that the extra oil in the mix is allowing me to tune slightly leaner which may very well be where I'm getting the extra response.

Temps are good, and it is possible that I have lost a tad of top end speed...if so I haven't noticed that, it runs like a scaulded dog from idle to WOT.....!

20% fuel I have is not crap fuel, 2 gallons 2 brands and it has ran good, no issues.... My SH.21 just seems to like this other mix better.

The TraxxasStadium Trucks may be another story, they may not like it and I may have to stick with the 20 in them yet to be seen....windy and raining here today so I'm stuck inside......Dang-it

I have read on theNitro FuelThread that some are Running a 20/20 mix and liking it, so I might even give it a try at some point and see how it does, just playing around with things a bit.....part of the fun...!

back to the top speed stuff........., with the quickness and response I have now I can afford to loose a tad of topspeed, quickness will alway beat top end on a short coarse and lend more fun for bashing IMO, good throttle response is where it's at for me, top speed is OK but as an old school drag racers quickness is gonna spank top end all day long if it take to long for the top speed to be reached, Ilike thunder out of the hole..... and this thing has it with the 15%/18% mix........!

Peace

Old 03-05-2011, 12:33 PM
1ofmyfuns

Imay have found the reason for my added throttle response on the 15/18 fuel mix.....

Found this info. on the Nitro Fuel thread, posted by an ole Pro..... seems logical....... shrug!

:Partial Quote:
(entire quote not listed being it was about other things as well and about different aircraft engines)

A much better oilratio for some enginesis 17%-20% if you're using a traditional US model oil such as Morgans or Klotz.

One effect of using more oil is that it effectively raises the compression ratio.

Unlike air, or fuel-vapor, oil is incompressible so effectively reduces the volume of the combustion chamber which means that the ratio of swept volume to combustion chamber volue (ie: the compression ratio) goes up.

If you use more than 18% you're probably just throwing money out your exhaust pipe.

I justusea high quality oil at these ratiosandIn effect, it's like running an extra 10% nitromethane but without the cost and without the negative hit on fuel consumption.

Seems plausablethat this mayexplain my better performanceresults......and Iknow mine does run better on the bottom end thru WOT on the oil increase and a 5% decrease in Nitro.