Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

hard cased lipos?

Old 03-18-2011, 04:33 PM
electricrc68
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard cased lipos?

hey guys well im thinking of getting some lipos so that when i get the twister xtg pro (and also for my bandit) i will have some. how do you know when they are puffed up? also, how can you tell that they are not able to be used anymore?
Old 03-18-2011, 04:55 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: hard cased lipos?

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

hey guys well im thinking of getting some lipos so that when i get the twister xtg pro (and also for my bandit) i will have some. how do you know when they are puffed up? also, how can you tell that they are not able to be used anymore?
lipos that get puffed up wont stay balanced.
while a lipo charger will charge them, a blinky balancer(which will show the voltage of each cell) will show that both cells are not holding the same voltage.

to be honest, i have 2 packs that are puffed that i still use all the time. still work fine.

the only way to puff up a pack is to use it with LVC not on and run them below 3.0v per cell.
or to run them in something they shouldnt have been used in in the 1st place. like running a 2s 1000mah pack in a 1/10 brushless truck. the drain on the lipo will be to great and can cause them to puff up.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:36 PM
electricrc68
Banned

okay thanks. well im going to get a 9.6v NIMH before i get a 2s lipo.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:32 AM
electricrc68
Banned

omg....my fear of lipos keeps coming back and then going away again!!!! geez idk how to get rid of it completely.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:35 AM
electricrc68
Banned

.....man......my lipo fear is gone for 5 minutes.....now its back.....again....
Old 03-19-2011, 08:59 AM
twobnvd
My Feedback: (1)

With all the new charges spend some time to reasearch and as long as you charge them correctly there is no need for worries. Most chargers you tell them how many cells = voltage most auto cut off and have a set charge rate which is adjustable if you want but to be safe just stick with factory settings if you want to charge fast do your research and buy a lipo bag. No need to worry everyday the cahrgers get safer.

Heres a good artilcle. education is the key take the time to learn what you are doing and you will love the power and the savings of not having to buy Nitro every week with the price of fuel these days...
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html
Plus no tuning it is a plug and play thing...

Basics
Cells = voltage each cell is 3.7 volts the more cells the more voltage

C rating is discharge rating and also determines how many amps can be used to charge the battery. 3500C for example can be charged at 3.5 amps max. I stick to 3 amps myself but some push it to charge faster I am about being safe. How much puch the battery has . Lets say how fast 0 to top speed is achieved

MAH - How long the battery will run for the higher the MAH the longer you can run your vehicle

I hope this helps I was real hesistant at first as well
Old 03-19-2011, 11:07 AM
electricrc68
Banned

okay thanks. so lets say i have a 5000mah lipo, 2s. do i charge at 7.4v and 5a? would that take a maximum of 1 hour? and also, is the thunder ac6 a good charger to charge with? 
Old 03-19-2011, 05:54 PM
ThePenguins

Liposreally do make the hobby that much more fun and theyare nothing to be afraid of. Buy a charge bag and charge them outside your first time if you think it will help break your phobia. I would check with someone a bit more knowledgable about running lipos on the XL-5 in your bandit. I do not believe the XL-5 has a low voltage cutoff, but I think you can purchase an alarm that will do something when it's time to stop running the car.

I have not used the thunder ac6; however, prior to purchasing my charger the majority of the reviews I read on it were positive. It should do a fine job, and the numbers you posted were correct.It should take just shy of an hour to charge.

Edit: Forgot to mention you can charge the batteries at less than 5 amps if you feel safer doin that.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:36 PM
electricrc68
Banned

okay thanks. yeah well im thinking of getting a BL system with my lipos. the ezrun 60A esc and a tacon motor.