Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

any better diffs. available?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 03:17 PM
rsw007
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any better diffs. available?

Well got my sons volcano epx truck running with the 8.5t brushless motor and 7.4 lipos. now it sounds like the gears are jumping teeth when u first take off, but i dont see it happening on the pinion to spur. so i took the diff out and packed it tight with some thick grease. i think the gear noise is coming from the diff ring gear to to driveshaft pinion. what should i do, or can i shim it or any upgrades? something else i should mention is i currently dont have the front axles in. waiting on the upgrade ones with the u.joints to arrive any day. currently running the stock 17t pinion, i tried a 16t but the driveshaft was dragging on the motor when i got the mesh tight enough. should i try a 18 or 19 tooth to remove some of the torque?

thanks in advance from a rc newbie.
scott w.

can take video if it will help.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Allnighters

Default RE: any better diffs. available?

Does the diff have "slop" between the ring and pinion? The earthquake 8E suffers from this. I shimmed the short shaft the pinion is on so it is tighter. Also lube these up good. It is the week point. When you power on it moves the shafts and diff with large amounts of force so you need tight tolerances. Someone posted a vid on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2foA1XOyxc8  see if this helps
Old 03-21-2011, 03:51 PM
rsw007

heres a quick vid its getting dark here. http://www.youtube.com/user/rrssww007#p/u/0/AMEB8pDhxRE

guess i will have to tear the diff back out and see if theres any sisde to side play. Is the upgrade diff housings made to not deflect with the torque or just stronger for crashes? http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/Redcat-Parts/02051T
Old 03-22-2011, 03:37 AM
rsw007

I did notice when repacking the diff that this truck only has one set of spider gears unlike all the rc diff vids i saw online had two sets of spider gears.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:06 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its possible that either the diff pinion/ring gear are slipping on eachother do to some play in the diff pinion.
shimming it may help.

its also possible that spider gears in the differential are damaged. i would open it up and check. if any are, you could just replace them.
or, you could use JB weld to "lock" the rear diff. it will make it stronger and locking the rear diff will give better traction.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:08 AM
rsw007

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

its possible that either the diff pinion/ring gear are slipping on eachother do to some play in the diff pinion.
shimming it may help.

its also possible that spider gears in the differential are damaged. i would open it up and check. if any are, you could just replace them.
or, you could use JB weld to ''lock'' the rear diff. it will make it stronger and locking the rear diff will give better traction.
well i opened up the diff cause i read were some were dry or lightly lubed. i cleaned out the yellow grease that was in it and packed it tight with some thick royal purple racing grease i had in my shop. this helped it to spin both tires more often. i did consider packing it with play doh to lock it.

do you know the difference in the 02024 diff and the 02024t upgrade diff? how ablut the difference in the 02030 pinion and 02030t pinion or even the 02051 and 02051t housings?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:12 AM
formula87

ORIGINAL: Allnighters

Does the diff have "slop" between the ring and pinion? The earthquake 8E suffers from this. I shimmed the short shaft the pinion is on so it is tighter. Also lube these up good. It is the week point. When you power on it moves the shafts and diff with large amounts of force so you need tight tolerances. Someone posted a vid on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2foA1XOyxc8 see if this helps

Thats my vid!!!....... LOL....................... I would check the diff "slop" most def................... but I read you have no front DS? that would make problems as you need all the shafts in place to get power to all wheels and the diffs need to be in proper working order. But if the front DS is out I would put that back in and see where you are.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:46 AM
rsw007

ORIGINAL: formula87

ORIGINAL: Allnighters

Does the diff have ''slop'' between the ring and pinion? The earthquake 8E suffers from this. I shimmed the short shaft the pinion is on so it is tighter. Also lube these up good. It is the week point. When you power on it moves the shafts and diff with large amounts of force so you need tight tolerances. Someone posted a vid on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2foA1XOyxc8 see if this helps

Thats my vid!!!....... LOL ....................... I would check the diff ''slop'' most def................... but I read you have no front DS? that would make problems as you need all the shafts in place to get power to all wheels and the diffs need to be in proper working order. But if the front DS is out I would put that back in and see where you are.
driveshaft is in, just waiting on the cvd axles to come in for the front. may just wait and see what it does when i put them in.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:20 AM
formula87

ORIGINAL: rsw007

heres a quick vid its getting dark here. http://www.youtube.com/user/rrssww007#p/u/0/AMEB8pDhxRE

guess i will have to tear the diff back out and see if theres any sisde to side play. Is the upgrade diff housings made to not deflect with the torque or just stronger for crashes? http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/Redcat-Parts/02051T

Watched that vid that sounds like the typical chatter that brushless motors make but when you are on the gas does it make noise? From that I think you are okay and sorry I was wrong about the DS you don't have the frnt left and rht CVDs in but where you running it w/o those in?
Old 03-22-2011, 09:39 AM
rsw007

yes i was running it with out them in. just got off the phone with derek at redcat and he said that if it only does it on start up it might just be cogging in the brushless system. can timing or punch settings on my ezrun programmer help this? or will changing pinions help? i tried a 16t pinion but the motor hits the driveshaft knuckle. does anyone make a 68-72t spur to replace the stock 64t ?
Old 03-22-2011, 04:30 PM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats what Iwas thinking also... sounds great after ittook off. That is normal with sensorles. Sensored is way much smother..
ORIGINAL: formula87

ORIGINAL: rsw007

Watched that vid that sounds like the typical chatter that brushless motors make but when you are on the gas does it make noise? From that I think you are okay and sorry I was wrong about the DS you don't have the frnt left and rht CVDs in but where you running it w/o those in?
Old 03-22-2011, 05:00 PM
basketballfan60123
My Feedback: (2)

That's nothing compared to what Savage Flux makes; talking about that loud chatter sound.
It sounds okay to me; my Aftershock 8E makes a similar sound like that.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:01 PM
rsw007

Well I filed 1.5 mm off the side of the motor housing and got the steel 16 tooth pinion on it now without it touching driveshaft. That helped a little, now I need to know if anyone knows if more or less timing or punch is best.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:24 AM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is Kurts flux and this thing in an animal!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rewG4dhjWM
ORIGINAL: basketballfan60123

That's nothing compared to what Savage Flux makes; talking about that loud chatter sound.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:58 PM
basketballfan60123

ORIGINAL: billymare

As a matter a fact I bought my Flux from Kurt; mine is a beast on a pair of 2s and I can only imagine what it will be like on 3s.
For now 2s is enough for me.
I saw on one of the running videos on your youtube that he had blow out too; was he running on 3s when he did the back-flip and had the blowout ?
I dread the day when that happens too me because it has already happened to my Aftershock 8E.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:07 PM
basketballfan60123

ORIGINAL: billymare

As a matter a fact I bought my Flux from Kurt; mine is a beast on a pair of 2s and I can only imagine what it will be like on 3s.
For now 2s is enough for me.
I saw on one of the running videos on your youtube channel that he had blow out too; was he running on 3s when he did the back-flip and had the blowout ?
I dread the day when that happens too me because it has already happened to my Aftershock 8E.