Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

whta's model is best for jumping off ramp?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

whta's model is best for jumping off ramp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Luv_nitro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whta's model is best for jumping off ramp?

i have a EQ 3.5. i bashed the heck out of it. it's pretty durable but everytime i jump off the ramp, the servo saver break! ( even on perfect landing jump) this is the only thing that break. so i quit jumping but today temptation got the best of me. guess what? now i'm on my 4th servo saver. i also have a tornado s30, forget about jump this thing. i did one time and broke a dogbone.( first and last time ). but i like jumping off ramp. so what's the best redcat's model for jumping?? thank
Old 04-02-2011, 06:27 AM
Luv_nitro

Default RE: whta's model is best for jumping off ramp?

I'm in the market for a jumper. Any suggestion would be considered. ( preferably redcat 's nitro)
Old 04-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Goatcrapp

well - people won't like this answer.. but i've glued my servo saver on both of my aftershocks. Now it handles hard landings and pole-hits without issue.

Had probably about 30 hours of bashing on my 3.5, and about 6 hours so far on my 8e.

I DID have to replace a servo once on this 8e... but that was before I glued the saver, and was due to the previous owner tightening the crap out of the horn screw (servo clicked when turning - stripped something inside)

The concept of the servo saver is a good one.. but in practice - its the single weakest point in the redcat steering design, ow that they've fixed the c-hubs and steering arm so they don't shatter in a hard turn lol. (last steering kit i ordered had an aluminum piece as stock - i DIDN'T specifically order it - i ordered the same part number i had been ordering. I'm assuming this is the fix - otherwise they just made a mistake.. lol. either way - haven't had to touch it since.. and i was replacing them every few runs prior to that.

a little crazy glue and its good. The stock steering has so much slop in it anyways - there's plenty more to flex before you kill the servo from an impact.

For comparison - the servo savers on other vehicles i've run (MGT 8.0 for instance) are much much stiffer.. like barely able to twist them by hand stiff... the stock redcat design is certainly inteneded for it to be the sacrificial lamb.. but its too sacrificial.. like you observed - they break too easily.they're so loose, that they twist quickly, while absorbing the impact... but so quickly that they hit their stop point, and just shear off.

***as always - this is merely what I have done. If you wish to do the same - you do so at your own risk.

As for good jumpers - the aftershock works well... i like the 8e becauseit has more metal bits, stock (unless that's changed.. my 3.5 nitro aftershock was an early model)

My MGTand friends who have savages will handle huge air... but like anything else everythinghas a weak point. on these its not steering components but control arms. RPMarms to the rescue - problems solved. It's too bad rpm doesn't make parts for redcat yet.

but what you have should also be a good jumper.. Part of owning an RCis modifying it - so take it down to a hobby shop if you can, and try and see what else fits. you might have to drill a few holes.. go with a different design (the MGTuses an under-mount servo, longitudinal mount, for instance) or etc...

check out other companies servo saver units and see if something comes close... or simply try gluing it (i make no warranty on your servo lol) - if you do break your servo - best timeto replace with a stronger one.. ebay is loaded with good, beefy and strong servos

Old 04-05-2011, 03:41 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i had a tornado epx pro that i jumped alot!

i had the upgraded shock towers, as the stock ones would bend.

and the wing mount would need to be upgraded as well, as the stocker breaks.

the rest of the buggy i had all stock. i ran it on a 2s lipo and would hit ramps at 35-40mph and not break anything.

the tornado s30 shares much of the same parts as the electric version.

IMO, electrics tend to be more durable for jumping. there is simply less wieght and less to break.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Luv_nitro

Thank guys.. i will definitely try the glue. I got some bondo cement mix laying around. i might try that also.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Dragonii

I think you can get carbon fiber chassis and shock towers for the Tornado too. You have look for them under HSP parts. I know you can find the shock towers at rufaster.

Those should make it a lot lighter.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:43 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dragonii

I think you can get carbon fiber chassis and shock towers for the Tornado too. You have look for them under HSP parts. I know you can find the shock towers at rufaster.

Those should make it a lot lighter.

redcat has the carbon fiber shock towers. but i think the billet alloy ones(2 times thicker than stock one) are better for bashing.