Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

aftershock 8e differential oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 07:18 AM
brew99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftershock 8e differential oil?

So I just received a new aftershock 8e, opened the box, and noticed some oil stains on the inside of the cardboard box (3 diff spots). Thought that was odd, and started looking at the truck. All three differentials casings seemed to be soaked in a clear oil on the plastics. Since this didn't seem right to me (and I'm no expert), i decided to open the differentials, and they were dry (no grease). They did seem to have some residual oil, but not much.

As I opened the front and rear differential i added grease, so I should be good there, but i couldn't get the centre out as the set screw on the diff cups was so secure it just stripped the screw (both cups are like this). I'm assuming I need to remove this to get at the differential as I couldn't see any other way.

Is Redcat filling these with oil now, and mine just happened to leak everywhere? What else could this be? i did check the shocks and they seemed clean and worked properly.

What do you guys think?

Old 04-05-2011, 07:26 AM
JTuepker1

Default RE: aftershock 8e differential oil?

Diffs are the first thing i change when i get a new rc no matter what. Currently on my back draft, same set up as aftershock im running 5k front 5k middle and 3k rear, i run on hard packed clay, depending on might change a bit as lose dirt you might want more or less bite. Good rule of thumb i carry 5k 4k 3k diff oils.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:14 AM
brew99

Nice info on the oils, but this shouldn't leak out of them should it? What's up with that, all three of them are like this.

ORIGINAL: JTuepker1

Diffs are the first thing i change when i get a new rc no matter what. Currently on my back draft, same set up as aftershock im running 5k front 5k middle and 3k rear, i run on hard packed clay, depending on might change a bit as lose dirt you might want more or less bite. Good rule of thumb i carry 5k 4k 3k diff oils.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:20 AM
JTuepker1

check make sure the orings in the diff seal up. Also make sure the little gasket on the ring side is in place and no cuts.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:02 PM
brew99

So I filled out the warranty claim form, and with 1/2 day, Billy from redcat has shipped me a new centre differential! I've heard many people posting about redcat's customer service being very pro-active, but now I've had the chance to experience it first hand. Bravo for Redcat
Old 04-11-2011, 05:02 PM
masterhacker1989

Im going to fill all mywith Bad horsie diff locking grease, except for the center, that is getting locked up
Old 04-11-2011, 08:13 PM
All-or-Nothing

ORIGINAL: masterhacker1989

Im going to fill all mywith Bad horsie diff locking grease, except for the center, that is getting locked up

What would be the benefit to locking up the center diff?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:49 PM
masterhacker1989

Well mine is a earthquake, so its a little different, and when you give it full throttle, the front end pops up and the front tires balloon uncontrollably,  so if I lock the center diff, then in theory i will get a 50/50 power distribution I'm just not a fan of center diffs, I like "full time" 4wd, not where it transfers power to where its not needed (Ie the front tires ballooning, and the rear getting hardly any power). So basically the point of doing it is to get better traction by decreasing the efficency of the differentials (by putting super thick grease and locking the center), which basically equates to it handling different, it tends to slide around corners more, because all four tires are getting power (well the grease lets them slip a little), instead of the differential transferring power to the ones that are slipping. I use mine like a monster truck, not a buggy, I climb up stuff, jump it, drive up steep hills, take it mudding all that fun garbage, So it benefits the way I drive my vehicles, its a acquired taste
Old 04-11-2011, 11:44 PM
All-or-Nothing

OK.........thanks for the explanation.

My friend has pre packed diffs from 10k to 3K that he swaps out for different tracks around here. With the price so cheap I might try the same thing.