Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Spur Gear (wheels spinning tight and running hot)

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Spur Gear (wheels spinning tight and running hot)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 05:30 AM
auribe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spur Gear (wheels spinning tight and running hot)

I have two Volcano S30's and one is running just fine, the other is smoking and running hot. I configured both exactly the same. The second one seems to have the wheels that spin much tighter than the other. When I run it, the car seems to run real hot and smoke is starting to come from the spur gear area. I've removed the engine and when I spin both the front wheels or back wheels together they are much tighter then the other S30 that is running fine.

I can't see where I can adjust the tightness of the gear. It's brand new so I can't imagine I have to replace it but if I do I just need to know that it can't be loosened up and I need to get an entirely new one.

Thanks,

Adrian
Old 04-10-2011, 07:25 AM
electricrc68
Banned

Default RE: Spur Gear (wheels spinning tight and running hot)

that doesnt sound too good......about the spur area, is the spur gear too tight?
Old 04-10-2011, 08:02 AM
auribe

When you say 'too tight' it makes me think we're talking about the process of setting the gear mesh (or the play between the clutch bell on the motor and the spur gear). If this is what you mean I have ruled that out because I've removed the motor completely and the wheels still spin much tighter than my second one.

This is most likely why I can't find out how to adjust the spur gear because all of the things I find online are about this. I think its the gear itself or somehow it's become much tighter than it's supposed to be. All that I can tell is that it's not loose enough like my other one which is running fine. I don't know if that answers the question or not. Thanks for responding.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:13 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its possible that the diffs' pinion gear is meshed too tight with the ring gear. its possible there may be a shim or washer you could remove.

its also possible that its in the 2 speed tranny itself. i would start there, take it apart and look for any signs of wear.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:35 AM
auribe

Could any of those two been caused by the car running into something? The car is pretty new and the only thing that may have caused the problem could have been a slight collision it had with a wood pole (yes, I am one of those who started up the car and didn't have the remote powered up). The collision wasn't seriously bad but it could have caused this issue. I'm wondering if it jammed something in there that I need to pull out and rebuild or replace.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:06 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL, running any car into a wood pile can always do damage.

you said you had smoke near the spur gear. if something is bound up in the center tranny, then the wheels would turn hard. that would also cause the motor more strain, thus it would run hotter.