Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

My Aftershock 8E Build thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 04:21 PM
electricrc68
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My Aftershock 8E Build thread.

ORIGINAL: Goatcrapp

i don't have a job yet. im only 14.
14 is a tough age... old enough where you can't be completely reliant on your parents for liesure items... but not old enough to work (in some states) or be taken seriously.

Set goals for yourself. If you want something - price it.. and set your goal. Shop wisely... don't bother with the big dollar items that make only the smallest differences.

Then figure out ways to earn some extra cash. Obviously - neighborhoods have changed since i was that age.. so this may not be possible for you, but I used to hit up my neighbors for grocery runs.. a couple of bukcs here and there for each trip i made on their behalf.. the standard lawn mowing, garbage, yrd organizing, etc etc jobs.. also stock up on chores.. see if your parents will chip in a little extra if you take on a heavier chore load. On the flip side - at your age chores are typically free.. ie: you're expected to earn a small fraction of your keep.

If you're good in school - you can do some tutoring.

Whats a current fad? I made the most moeny at that age by selling the various trading cards that were hot - marvel comics cards (the holograms lol) - magic, the gathering, etc. I'm completely out of touch with what's in phase right now, so you'd have to be the best judge.

Its a tough age.. i remember, lol. money definitely didn't come easy.. or not easy either.. it just wasn't there.

finally someone who understands! i am smart in school, but what i do to make money, i am an apple developer. i make applications for the iphone/ipod/ipad. im about to launch my very first application soon for 99cents. i can tell you, its tough to build an application.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:41 PM
ThePenguins

Got my FS-Gt3b the other day and I love it. I ordered a few extra receivers to go with it but channel one quit working on the one that came with the transmitter. I used the live chat option on hobbypartz and they are sending me a new one, free of charge, no questions asked. +1 for them. Great transmitter so far.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Goatcrapp

finally someone who understands! i am smart in school, but what i do to make money, i am an apple developer. i make applications for the iphone/ipod/ipad. im about to launch my very first application soon for 99cents. i can tell you, its tough to build an application.
Well, good luck with it, then! app development is sometimes a thankless and not-so-profitable venture, but keep at it. Always have a back up plan - but don't slack on developing.. eventually it will pay off if you have good dieas, and provide good support on your product.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:57 PM
JTuepker1

Any update on the steering alum bell cranks.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Goatcrapp

i'm thinking of getting one of those fly sky remotes...   what are some opinions on them?
Old 04-29-2011, 12:29 PM
masterhacker1989

Do it, NOW! they are awesome
Old 04-29-2011, 12:44 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: Goatcrapp

Well, good luck with it, then! app development is sometimes a thankless and not-so-profitable venture, but keep at it. Always have a back up plan - but don't slack on developing.. eventually it will pay off if you have good dieas, and provide good support on your product.

yup. i also cut my dad's grass for $20.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Goatcrapp

ORIGINAL: masterhacker1989

Do it, NOW! they are awesome
quoting rebecca black - "which one should i take" lol.

There's the model in this thread (gt3b), and for about 25 more, there's a larger, more featured one (gt3). A lot of it seems plane-centric, so wouldn't apply.. but is there an appreciable difference in range, or other road-use features i would see with the bigger one. or is the concensus that the gt3b is the one to go with for our uses? (edit - or do i have it backwards? Is the gt3b the better one?)

thanks!

Old 04-29-2011, 01:47 PM
Goatcrapp

yup. i also cut my dad's grass for $20.
Is that the going rate now? I am out of touch, lol. I think I was paid 3 bucks for mowing and clean up.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:51 PM
electricrc68
Banned

3 bucks? wow. the going rate now is $20 for all that.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:58 PM
All-or-Nothing

ORIGINAL: JTuepker1

Any update on the steering alum bell cranks.

The Aluminum Bell cranks will be a custom job as I need to shorten them and some other things. This will be an on-going process but I will put up pics in a few days showing the differences and what needs to be done.

The MG996R Servo worked great and i had no problems with it. It might have been a tad bit slower than the Hitec but nothing that would have you constantly correcting the steering just to go straight. For budget racers this will work just fine, however lot's of people will tell you to avoid them like the plague but I think the price alone is worth giving them a shot. You decide....

However, I slapped a Hitec 5805MG Servo in it and it is like night and day. Well maybe not night and day but I was better. Instant centering, holds the wheels straight no matter what rough stuff it's going over. Lightning fast steering responses. Just this better Servo has made the truck drive even better. With this Servo there really is no need for the Bell Crank upgrades but I could see all the torque wearing out the plastic Bell Cranks.

I'll keep posting.........
Old 04-29-2011, 07:27 PM
ThePenguins

I think the gt3b is the newer of the models. As far as why it is cheaper, I don't know.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Goatcrapp

The MG996R Servo worked great and i had no problems with it. It might have been a tad bit slower than the Hitec but nothing that would have you constantly correcting the steering just to go straight. For budget racers this will work just fine, however lot's of people will tell you to avoid them like the plague but I think the price alone is worth giving them a shot. You decide....

However, I slapped a Hitec 5805MG Servo in it and it is like night and day. Well maybe not night and day but I was better. Instant centering, holds the wheels straight no matter what rough stuff it's going over. Lightning fast steering responses. Just this better Servo has made the truck drive even better. With this Servo there really is no need for the Bell Crank upgrades but I could see all the torque wearing out the plastic Bell Cranks.

I'll keep posting.........

How was the centering on the 996? I don't race mine at tracks - mainly basher/parking lot racer with friends. The hard to center, wandering quality of the stock servo drives me nuts, but i'm not sure i want to drop the bucks on the 5805 yet.

Really i just need something that will hold a steering trim when screwing around with the car. is the 996 more up my alley? how is it's speed compared to stock?

Old 05-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Goatcrapp

I got the 996.

Comparing it to brand new stock servo - its about the same speed - maybe a little slower.

BUT its also firmer and more linear..   turning the wheel 1/4 way keeps it there, instead of it being vague.  Centering is better too.

I was expecting a little quicker turning, compared to stock, but even without that - the increased control and more linear action is worth the price anyways.

Main thing i didn't like - it uses a split screw hole, instead of solid.  It comes with sleeves - but they won't work with the aftershock screws - they are meant for thinner ones.   I was able to use the rubber cushions however.  Anyways - with the split screw holes - you can't torque it down without spreading the hole. 

as it stands - i'll probably make a mount for it - without being able to tighten it TIGHT, it moves a bit in the stock situation.

Still worth it IMO.   Just a little review for anyone considering this servo.