Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

My Aftershock 8E Build thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 02:10 AM
All-or-Nothing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Aftershock 8E Build thread.

Well I decided to go all out on my Aftershock and I will keep my updates in this thread.

I will do Cosmetic upgrades as well as things to just make the truck a better overall performer.

Here is my first Mod..........Better looking wheels.

Here is my truck as stock as it can be.

I didn't really like the fake beadlock look, so I decided to just paint it to match the truck. I know.....some will hate it and some won't but I like them well enough, especially for some light bashing duty.

Paint is Tamiya Modeling Paint red.

These are strictly going to be my Light bashing wheels as the stock tires had zero grip at our track so it was pointless to try and keep them for when I race.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:39 AM
rsw007
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: My Aftershock 8E Build thread.

i like it. im still torn between the aftershock and the earthquake.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:37 AM
All-or-Nothing

Next thing I have done is swap the white springs from my Earthquake 3.5 with the black springs on the Aftershock.

They are the same height and I can barely see the difference in thickness but I think the white springs are a little thicker.

I wanted to get as much ride height as possible so I moved the shock points from where they came from the factory. All the way inside on the bottom and all the way outside on the top.

We have some pretty large jumps and it lands a lot nicer now, however I think i need some stiffer springs then i can back-out on the pre-tensioners some.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:13 AM
JTuepker1

instead of spring try using a little thicker shock oil. or set your rebound to where the shock reacts and pushes back when compressed.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:58 AM
brew99

Nice detail with the pics................Have you run/raced with that aftershock body? If so, i bet it won't last long. I've added washers to the body mounts, but find that the body is still a very weak point.

What have other people run for a body on their aftershock? I'm trying to find one were the wheels will be tucked in, as that's a track rule for me.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:41 PM
All-or-Nothing

ORIGINAL: brew99

Nice detail with the pics................Have you run/raced with that aftershock body? If so, i bet it won't last long. I've added washers to the body mounts, but find that the body is still a very weak point.

What have other people run for a body on their aftershock? I'm trying to find one were the wheels will be tucked in, as that's a track rule for me.

I don't have another body to run right now but the stock body has been holding up quite well. I have done some crazy cartwheels and landed on the roof several times and it is still holding up.

When I ran the truck yesterday the traction with those stock tires SUCKED!!!!! I couldn't go past 1/4 to 1/2 throttle or it would just light up the tires and spin-out. Although it did help the truck rotate quickly in the turns. I got some new rims and tires coming so I hope they help out.

Even severely traction limited I was easily out-driving a Blitz and a SC10 that was also there practicing. This makes me want to get this truck running even better now. The guys seemed impressed when I let them check out the truck. They want to help me get it running better also. I should have a few more updates later this week.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:15 PM
brew99

OK, sounds like you are having better luck with the body than I did. I hope it stands up to your bashing/racing.

Ya, the stock tires suck, I'm looking at the proline gladiators, and will probably just get a set of wheels also, just to make it easier. I wanna take this to the local track, but just need to get the nerve-up so the guys don't laugh me out, as they are all Traxxas, HPI types. It'll be fun though, and I honestly don't care what they think.

Keep us updated on how it works on the track, as I think there are many of us who have this truck, but aren't sure about racing it.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:01 PM
All-or-Nothing

ORIGINAL: brew99

OK, sounds like you are having better luck with the body than I did. I hope it stands up to your bashing/racing.

Ya, the stock tires suck, I'm looking at the proline gladiators, and will probably just get a set of wheels also, just to make it easier. I wanna take this to the local track, but just need to get the nerve-up so the guys don't laugh me out, as they are all Traxxas, HPI types. It'll be fun though, and I honestly don't care what they think.

Keep us updated on how it works on the track, as I think there are many of us who have this truck, but aren't sure about racing it.

This truck is plenty durable and easily out powers every other 4x4 Short Course truck available. 90% is driver but it has all the right ingredients to make it a winner. I will keep tinkering and putting my results in here.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:11 PM
All-or-Nothing

I do have some gripes with this truck.

First is the stock steering Servo. It is complete CRAP. I have to make constant corrections because it doesn't self center sometimes. This will be an easy fix with a higher torque servo however.

Second, I wish there was an overtray or a shield for the spur gear. Little rocks are drawn in like a magnet. Maybe an overtray would fix this but the hard part is finding one that can be modded to fit.

Third, a heatsink and fan is a must with this truck. Especially if you plan to race it. I have had 1 thermal shutdown and that was during a long practice session. This was after running several packs back 2 back but I would hate to not finish a race because of overheating.

Everything else I feel can be fine tuned to run with the best trucks out there. Redcat did a great job with this truck.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:22 AM
All-or-Nothing

WOO HOO.....................I got my new rims in today. $14 for all four rims brand new. They are the AKA Pro-5 1/8 scale black with chrome rims. I am going to be running the 17MM hubs also.

Also my body has been holding up fine to some fairly harsh crashes along with everything else on the truck. Here are the only cracks besides some scratches on the roof.

I did one small mod today also. Those battery holddowns are a real pain in the butt so I clipped one of the side pieces off. It slides right in now without having to fight with the battery anymore. It will be short lived as I am going to use velcro straps when ever they come in. Here is what i did.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:11 AM
All-or-Nothing

here is a video of how weak the stock servo is. Notice how it won't center itself.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1cIqDyd-Xc[/youtube]
Old 04-19-2011, 07:40 AM
brew99

Those are some good observations. I've noticed the same things, but most are easy fixes. Throw up some pics with your new wheels/tires when you have them mounted. i think I'm gonna order a proline Ford Raptor body and see how that holds-up.

I think if redcat was to look at fixing one thing with this vehicle, it should be the body mounts. Seems as though many people have issues with the small hole supports(?) and that the mounts seem to snap.

The only other thing I've noticed is that the ESC fan seems to get somewhat plugged with grass/dirt, and I'm thinking of making somekind of shield to try to keep most of it out, but still allow adequate air flow for the fan. Would have also been nice if the flimsy plastic side sheilds were made of a somewhat stronger plastic or possibly alum. as during racing, there are many side hits and the aftershock has nothing to absorb the impact.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:43 AM
JTuepker1

i used a piece of screen around mine and little bit of duct tape on the 2 open sides and over the top of my esc.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:05 AM
electricrc68
Banned

that is a weak servo......
Old 04-19-2011, 02:22 PM
All-or-Nothing

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

that is a weak servo......

It sure is. Even with the constant corrections needed to go straight I can keep up with most of the guys here. Bad part is I can't get full throttle because the corrections cause me to spin out. I have some High torque ones on order and I will posts results when they arrive.

On my Serpent buggy, when I come out the corners I can hammer it because the steering centers itself. God I want to get this truck running right. Slowly but surely I will make it a winner.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:30 PM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let us know how those wheels fit and what tires you use. they are buggy wheels and look a little thin ifI wanted touse them on a monster truck.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:11 PM
All-or-Nothing

So my next project. It seems like when the plate over the Servo Saver is tightened down it may cause some slight binding so I am going to try to replace the brass bushings with bearings and put some spacers so I can tighten it all the way down but still let the bearings keep the Servo Saver completely smooth and free.

I wish I had the measurements but i will have to take a bushing to the LHS and do a comparison.

I also ordered the Aluminum Servo Saver set. Hopefully I can get it to work and it will take some of the slop out of the steering.

Here is the Aluminum parts i ordered. Might work, might not but I will give it a shot. hey you never know till someone tries right.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Goatcrapp

Which servo did you order?
Old 04-20-2011, 03:15 PM
All-or-Nothing

ORIGINAL: Goatcrapp

Which servo did you order?

I ordered 2 MG996R's, 2 Hitec 5955's and some other cheap Ebay High Torque Servo.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Goatcrapp

looking forward to your experience with them.

I'm in the middle of upgrading other things, but at some point i'll likely replace the steering servo as well.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:49 PM
All-or-Nothing

Got me some goodies in the mail from RUFaster.....

12MM to 17MM parts...

Diff and Shock fluids also

Old 04-22-2011, 08:09 PM
JTuepker1

NIce choices on the shock oil, im running 45 up front and 40 in the rear of my backdraft, did upgrade to a ofna swaybar on the rear though to help out.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:34 AM
All-or-Nothing

Well I changed all the shock fluids and swapped over to 17MM hubs. I only drove it around in my basement for a little bit but I am going to be putting some springs that are a little stiffer. Jumps are more level now and landings are not quite as severe but I do want a little more rebound. Overall there is a noticeable difference as far as stance and shock performance. I will keep tinkering and posting my results. Here are a few more pics....

Old 04-23-2011, 04:56 AM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What happend to the AKA wheels?
Old 04-23-2011, 06:04 AM
All-or-Nothing

ORIGINAL: billymare

What happend to the AKA wheels?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.