Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

which would you guys recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:18 AM
electricrc68
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which would you guys recommend?

well im thinking of getting a nitro over the summer. i was thinking between the shockwave and volcano s30 since they are single speed and i only want a single speed. which one do you guys think i should get? also, how much louder is the volcano s30 than the shockwave since it has a tuned exhaust?
Old 04-17-2011, 09:24 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: which would you guys recommend?

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

well im thinking of getting a nitro over the summer. i was thinking between the shockwave and volcano s30 since they are single speed and i only want a single speed. which one do you guys think i should get? also, how much louder is the volcano s30 than the shockwave since it has a tuned exhaust?
the volcano s30 has a 2 speed tranny.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:26 AM
electricrc68
Banned

oh. then i guess i will go with the shockwave it didn't show two speed tranny on their site, so thats why i thought it was a single speed tranny.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:35 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

pic taken from the redcat site:
s30 also has a bigger motor.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92538.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	1595055  
Old 04-17-2011, 09:56 AM
RCToysNh

You asked about the Volcano,
The Volcano s30 is single speed not 2 speed.
The tornado s30 is 2 speed.
Sound is about the same on the shockwave and the volcano.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:05 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: RCToysNh

thanks for catching my mistake. just assumed he was asking about the tornado s30.
yes, the volcano s30 is single speed, like the shockwave.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Hack u 2

Based on quick looks they both share the same motor and chassis. The valcano would have better radio since it's not AM. Valcano has better clearance and runs through grass and fields better. Shockwave is also heavy on jumps and hard on landings. Driving up and down street the shockwave is a winner. Any where else I would do Valcano. They sound real good!!! I m not sure why you want a 1 speed tranny because you have settings on 2 speed and can keep from shifting.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:37 AM
electricrc68
Banned

okay thanks guys i guess i will look at the volcano s30 then.

hack u 2: i want a single speed because im not very good when it comes to gears, and i just think that with this being my first nitro, im going to get a single speed.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Hack u 2

66 don't be scared you got us! Go to the support videos on redcats site and see how easy the tornado s30 is to change tranny shift points....But I agree you are better with the valcano s30.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:03 PM
electricrc68
Banned

thanks hack u 2. this is why i feel comfortable buying redcats because everyone in the redcat forum is nice. i asked a question about my bandit in the electric off road forum when i just got into this hobby, and it was a real simple thing but i had no idea cuz i was new, and everyone just kinda went off on me.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:45 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: RCToysNh

okay so there should be no noise problems between the two? because i don't want it to be too loud.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:12 PM
ThePenguins

How loud is too loud? Noone makes a fuss in the neighborhood when I run my nitros but I get about 10 kids that swarm me.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Dragonii

Dude, this is what your third post about thinking about going nitro? The first two you ended with "I'm sticking with electric" and I have a dozen messages from you answering your nitro questions. It's starting to feel like you are just playing with us.
Don't get me wrong, if you are really going back and forth on it we are all here to help. But please, s#!t or get of the pot man.

Just buy a Shockwave. It's cheap, simple and one heck of a good car to break into nitro with. For your first nitro, keep it simple. Stick with a single speed.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Dragonii

As for noise, they aren't as loud as most people seem to think.

My Avalanche has a big block SH.28 and a tuned Dynamite pipe in it and no one has every complained about it being too loud.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:28 PM
electricrc68
Banned

okay thanks. i may get the shockwave just cuz the price is a little less. my dads trying to teach me "smart shopping" so i thought it would be a better choice.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:30 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: Dragonii

Dude, this is what your third post about thinking about going nitro? The first two you ended with "I'm sticking with electric" and I have a dozen messages from you answering your nitro questions. It's starting to feel like you are just playing with us.
Don't get me wrong, if you are really going back and forth on it we are all here to help. But please, s#!t or get of the pot man.

Just buy a Shockwave. It's cheap, simple and one heck of a good car to break into nitro with. For your first nitro, keep it simple. Stick with a single speed.
sorry i just keep changing my mind and then im really hesitant because of what happened before. i admit i had no idea what i was doing then, but i want to give it another try after i have gotten some knowledge from you and others.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:44 PM
catbob007

Avalanche XP Bro is the best built truck for me and countless others... been there done that with the s3.0's not for me
Old 04-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Dragonii

That's cool.

Just do it. Get a Shockwave. It's a good car, good price and will be he easiest to deal with as someone that is starting out in nitro.

I have one, I love it. I also have a $300 1/8th scale Avilanche, I like it too, but honestly... I find the Shockwave to be more fun. It can speed around a parking lot doing donuts and hook hard turn a lot easier than the Avi.

You can always upgrade it later if you want. I put the Tornado motor and two speed tranny in mine. Even with the speed and power that it has now I have never flipped it on a flat surface from turns and such. Grassy, bumpy dirt areas are another story.
What I am trying to say is that it is very stable.

Unfortunately it currently has to be rebuilt. A friend 9 year old daughter drove it into a concrete barrier at full throttle. It broke one shock, a C hub, a steering nuckle, bent the shock tower, bent the chassis, broke a wheel and scraped a chunk off of the bumper. Not bad concidering how hard it hit. We found the front dog bone about 15 feet from the crash site.

So it;s getting rebuilt with aluminum steering parts and carbon fiber shock towers.

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability... "
Old 04-17-2011, 05:02 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: Dragonii

That's cool.

Just do it. Get a Shockwave. It's a good car, good price and will be he easiest to deal with as someone that is starting out in nitro.

I have one, I love it. I also have a $300 1/8th scale Avilanche, I like it too, but honestly... I find the Shockwave to be more fun. It can speed around a parking lot doing donuts and hook hard turn a lot easier than the Avi.

You can always upgrade it later if you want. I put the Tornado motor and two speed tranny in mine. Even with the speed and power that it has now I have never flipped it on a flat surface from turns and such. Grassy, bumpy dirt areas are another story.
What I am trying to say is that it is very stable.

Unfortunately it currently has to be rebuilt. A friend 9 year old daughter drove it into a concrete barrier at full throttle. It broke one shock, a C hub, a steering nuckle, bent the shock tower, bent the chassis, broke a wheel and scraped a chunk off of the bumper. Not bad concidering how hard it hit. We found the front dog bone about 15 feet from the crash site.

So it;s getting rebuilt with aluminum steering parts and carbon fiber shock towers.

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability... "
okay thanks i will get a shockwave. that sucks that you gotta rebuild it.....especially the chassis. that must be a pain!

Old 04-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Dragonii

It's mostly a pain because I have to bleach all of the aluminum. I don't like the colors that are stock for the shockwave. I have bleached all of the aluminum so it is silver and the car is black and blue. Mine was the older model that came in purple and yellow. It looked like a clown car.

the new one looks cool with the black and blue flames.

It's all good. My friend is paying for the parts since he said "let her drive it, I'll pay for whatever she breaks". I am actually upgrading the parts with the extra money he is giving me to buy my Tamiya for her because she is hooked on RC's now. lol

Old 04-17-2011, 05:53 PM
electricrc68
Banned

haha wow you got a little girl hooked onto rc cars. never thought that would ever happen. yeah the shockwave comes with the purple aluminum parts, but i actually kinda like how it looks with the blue body.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Dragonii

My 12 year old niece like them too. She told me yesterday "RC's are more exciting than kites"... that was our old hobby together.

The new colors on the Shockwave look good. The purrple fits with the black and blue just fine.
This is what mine originally looked like.

This is what it look like right before the 9 year old wrecked it.

This is after.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:34 PM
electricrc68
Banned

it did look like a clown car before. and then the black and blue looks nice!!!! i love those tires!!!! and then the wreckage at the end.....isn't so pretty. i have to agree with your niece though, kites do get boring.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:35 PM
electricrc68
Banned

and also in the second picture, what is that blue muffler thing for?
Old 04-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Dragonii

It's just an exhaust deflector. It dirrects it to the ground to help keep the side of the car clean. They are mostly used for planes.
You can pick them up at just about any rc shop for $3-4.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.