Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Earthquake 8e Motor overheating

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 06:57 PM
masterhacker1989

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Earthquake 8e Motor overheating

So, Igot my new redcat motor, charged up my batteries, Threw em in my earth quake, and i was driving for about 15 minutes, and Idecedid to check the temp of my motor. I checked it, and it was at like 178. So Itook it over my my air compresser and blew air on it to cool it (it didnt burn anything, at least Ididnt smell it) So did some research and I found that lowerig the motor timing can drop the temps, so Ilowered it from 15 Degrees to 3 degrees, then I went and tried it again. this time it got to 170, and I stopped driving it. So my next thought is to buy a heatsink and fan as well as dropping a tooth on the the pinion gear. Im wondering if the hobbywing Xerun Esc is more powerful than the stock one or somthing Has anyone else had problems with this, and is this the correct thing to do to try to lower my temps?

THANKS!
Old 04-21-2011, 06:59 PM
masterhacker1989

Default RE: Earthquake 8e Motor overheating

My Esc isnt getting hot, just the motor
Old 04-21-2011, 07:29 PM
masterhacker1989

I suppose I should probally buy a second pinion that is 1 tooth bigger also

Old 04-22-2011, 04:06 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a smaller pinion will decrease temps. larger pinion will only increase temps.

i ran my E 8e the other day and had temps in the same range....just over 170.

i have the stock ESC and motor and gearing.

i ordered the heatsink and fan. should have them next wednesday.

my vxl motor has run as high as 195 without doing damage. 170 is OK, but i prefer my motors to run 160ish. so the heatsink and fan combo should drop temps at least 10 degrees.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:25 PM
masterhacker1989

Ill try the heat sink/fan first and see what happens. if that doesn't work. ill try the smaller pinion. my earthquake is plenty fast, and if i lose some top speed, whatever, i don't drive it going flat out that much anyways. Anyone have any idea hop much top speed ill lose by dropping a tooth on the pinion?
Old 04-22-2011, 03:03 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: masterhacker1989

Ill try the heat sink/fan first and see what happens. if that doesn't work. ill try the smaller pinion. my earthquake is plenty fast, and if i lose some top speed, whatever, i don't drive it going flat out that much anyways. Anyone have any idea hop much top speed ill lose by dropping a tooth on the pinion?
not sure how much 1 tooth difference will make in top speed.
but im pretty confident that the heatsink and fan will drop temps 10-15 degrees.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:59 PM
masterhacker1989

So I took my motor out to go pick up a new pinion gear, and I was curious as to how hot the motor would get not in the vechile, so I took it out and I was running it at like 1/4-1/2 throttle on my work bench, and It reached 165, Is that normal, I would think it should run a hell of a lot cooler not having a load on it, or was it because it had no load on it that the temp was there?
Old 04-25-2011, 03:25 PM
masterhacker1989

Im wondering if the Xerun Esc is too power for the ezrun motor, from what Ive seen the Xerun motors look like they are built alot better than the Ezrun ones
Old 04-25-2011, 05:52 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

So I took my motor out to go pick up a new pinion gear, and I was curious as to how hot the motor would get not in the vechile, so I took it out and I was running it at like 1/4-1/2 throttle on my work bench, and It reached 165, Is that normal, I would think it should run a hell of a lot cooler not having a load on it, or was it because it had no load on it that the temp was there?
yes, running a motor with no load on it will cause it to heat up really quick! i have done it before with several motors, brushed and brushless. temps will never get too hot, but the temps rise VERY quickly.

dont ask me why/how this happens. it does seem backwards. i think it just has to do with the RPMs the motor turns with no load. even tho you had only 50% throttle, the motor was spinning much faster than if you had a load on it.

i cant say if the Xrun motor is any better than the ezrun version in the 8E's. but compared to other BL motors i have run it runs very well. considering how heavy the truck is and that its running on 4s and how fast it can go for the temps it hits(that may be a run on sentence there) it does very well.

do you have the heatsink/fan yet? mine will arrive wednesday. should bring temps down around 150. but again, most brushless motors can run 180-190 without damage.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:59 PM
masterhacker1989

I haven't got the heat sink yet, I ordered a new pinion gear thought to try to get the temps down, Ill try that first (i needed a new pinion gear anyways), Im thinking on getting one of the Xerun motors If I manage to cook another motor, I was talking to a guy at my Lhs, and he told me that the Xerun motors are beter than the Ezrun ones, he said they have more power, and run cooler, Im not sure if he was talking out of his @$$ or not, but it looks like they build the Xerun motors better, they have nice flexable wires on them, and you can open both sides of the motor
Old 04-25-2011, 08:53 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

did he quote you a price on the xerun motor?
i found em on hobbypartz.com for $90 shipped.
thats a bit more than a stock 8e motor tho. you can buy a replacement for $70
Old 04-25-2011, 09:14 PM
masterhacker1989

No, I was just talking with a guy about them, Im not going to get one unless I manage to kill another motor
Old 04-27-2011, 08:18 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

just got my new parts.

its a good sized heat sink, and a massive fan! no doubt it will lower temps alot.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73239.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1599947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19510.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1599948  
Old 04-28-2011, 03:31 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

drove my 8e today with the heatsink and fan. i saw a 25 degree+ drop in temps!
Old 04-28-2011, 06:46 PM
masterhacker1989

Wow, That's really good, If i could get a drop like that, i wouldn't be paranoid about driving my earthquake. Hopefully ill get even more of a drop with the smaller pinion, Ill order the heat-sink next week, I just started a new job, so they with held my unemployment benefits for the week pending a investigation, I should have just said I didn't work. I love it when you get screwed for being honest
Old 04-28-2011, 07:08 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Wow, That's really good, If i could get a drop like that, i wouldn't be paranoid about driving my earthquake. Hopefully ill get even more of a drop with the smaller pinion, Ill order the heat-sink next week, I just started a new job, so they with held my unemployment benefits for the week pending a investigation, I should have just said I didn't work. I love it when you get screwed for being honest
totally know what that feels like!

im pretty happy with the effectiveness of the upgrades. 175 is a OK temp for a brushless motor, but 150 is much better. im amazed tho how cool the ESC stays. hardly gets above 105.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:19 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

hey, i drove the 8e yesturday. it was 65 degrees outside. after a full battery, the motor was 108 degrees. the last time i ran it before i had the heatsink and fan it was 70 degrees and i had 175 on the motor at the end of the pack. think its safe to say that the heatsink and fan do the job.