Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

A Few Questions (EQ8E)

Old 05-04-2011, 05:39 PM
XtrmTJ
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Few Questions (EQ8E)

OK, Just got my new stub axles in and accualy got to run my EQ8E. (MAN is this thing fast!) First let me say I am a NOOB to go fast RC'ing. I rock crawl alot, but this EQ8E caught my eye and I wanted to try to go FAST. I got a wheelie Bar with my purchase, how ever it wants to wheelie in reverse ? I am going to turn that to 50% and see if that helps. I locked the center diff and put ductape inside the tires, both helped ballooning alot. I read how to setup an offroadRC and that helped alot also. I think I toed in too much though. I ran it on the road for just a few minutes (slow) and in my front yard for a few more minutes. The motor got real hot. Too hot to touch. Is this bad ? How do I fix it ? Head sink w/fan ? Sterring is super touchy, can it be turned down ? Sorry for all the noob questions, just trying to learn this beast (lol). I did learn one thing, I am going slow untill I get a handle on this monster !
Thanks for any comments, advice or help !
Smitty
Old 05-04-2011, 07:56 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: A Few Questions (EQ8E)

i have the same issue with steering on my E 8e. its very touchy. you can adjust the steering duel rate noob on the radio. it will help alittle.

and as for the motor, a brushless motor can run upto 190degrees and not be damaged. obviously, thats way to hot to touch with your hand. the motor could be running only 150 and thats still to hot to touch.
a temp gun is handy

but i did buy the heatsink and fan upgrade for my E8e. made a 25+ degree drop in temps. i was running about 175 at the end of a pack. now i run under 150 degrees.

the ESC runs super cool in this truck, which impressed me. only running 100-110 on hot days.

the heatsink and fan are a good upgrade, but the truck is geared to run safe temps without it. however, running lipos with more MAH(longer runtime) or in places with very high temps(its only be upto 70 in maine) will push the motor to its limit(200ish before damage is done) thus, i do reccomend the heatsink and fan.

look at said parts on mine, the fan is huge!

sounds like you broke stub axles? were you driving on pavement?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98832.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1604430  
Old 05-04-2011, 08:43 PM
XtrmTJ

Yes, I was, not any more.  Heat sink and fan is on the way.
Thanks
Smitty
Old 05-05-2011, 04:59 AM
XtrmTJ

OK, another noob question, I spent over 4 hours last night reading the instructions, watching utube how to's and trying to charge my stock Lipo batts useing my new Thunder AC6 charger. It kept saying "High Voltage" or "wrong settings". I double and triple checked everything, conections, settings, to no avail. I didn't want to use the stock charger, kinda like watching paint dry or grass grow. I tried to discharge, no go. same readouts. I set it to 3.2A (3200mah batts) I set it to 7.4 (2S) stock batts , ballance charge. All the conections were good. What am I doing wrong ? I used multiple settings and nothing would work. I tried it on my cralwer batt (Nimh) same readouts. Bad charger ? Stupid operator ? I like this brushless stuff, but Lipos are a pain, fire bags, balance charging
Old 05-05-2011, 05:56 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

did you plug in both the deans plug on the lipo and the white balance plug into the charger?

lipo mode
lipo balance charge
set amps
set # of cells(ie 2s 3s)
press enter button, it should confirm # of cells(readout 2ser 2ser or something like that)
then hold enter button to start charging

at least, thats how my imex b6 charger works. basically the same unit as yours.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:32 PM
XtrmTJ

Yes, that is the exact way I am doing it.They are 4.0 bannana plugs now, but yes, just as you stated. I'll try some more tonight.
Thanks
Smitty
Old 05-05-2011, 08:41 PM
XtrmTJ

Everytime I hook it up to my Thunder AC6 charger, It being a stock Lipo Batt 3200 Mah, 7.4 V, 2S. I hook up the power leads (red to red and black to black) I hook up the 2S pigtail to the 2S balancing slot. I plug it into the wall and set it to Lipo Balance charging, I set it to 3.2 A (3200mAh) and to 7.4 V (2S). I press and hold the start(green) button for 3 sec and after the Batt Check it says "Over Voltage" What is Over Voltage ? It says 7.4V on the Batt. It says 7.4V on the charger. I am stumped. What do I do now ?
Thanks
Smitty
Old 05-06-2011, 06:54 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

you ran be batts before trying to charge them right?

for some reason, the charger thinks the lipos have too much voltage for their size.
in other words, you entered 2s lipo(which fully charged will be about 8.4v) and the charger is reading the lipo as being more than 8.4v

have you used this charger with other lipos?
Old 05-06-2011, 01:39 PM
XtrmTJ

Yes, I ran my EQ8E until it quit/Batts empty. I only have the two (2) stock lipos that came with my EQ8E. I will try and find another lipo to see if it will charge.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:24 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: XtrmTJ

Yes, I ran my EQ8E until it quit/Batts empty. I only have the two (2) stock lipos that came with my EQ8E. I will try and find another lipo to see if it will charge.
so, this is the 1st time you have used that charger right?
it sounds like you have all the settings right.
either the lipos are bad. which you can check just by charging them on the stock charger.
or the new charger has something wrong with it. which can be checked by charging another lipo on it.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:52 PM
XtrmTJ

I went to my LHS and had both batts checked, both are at 3.1v per cell. They could not get this ThunderAC6 to work either. (Thank god it wasn't me and I was doing it right) They also tried several other batts Lipo and MiMH with the same results. My bet is a Bad Charger. I will call NitroRCX on monday and ask for a replacement. Thanks for all the help.
Smitty
Old 05-07-2011, 03:31 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

sucks the charger is bad. at least it aint your lipos.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:41 AM
XtrmTJ

Both batts are charged, using the stock charger (there's 11 hours of my life I will never get back watching them charge on the stock charger). They work fine, EQ8E is running GREAT! This thang is soooo much fun ! Locked rear diff, seems to handle fine. Set camber, toe, and shocks, all seem to work good. Handles nice, wheelies on demand, almost no balooning now. I want to start jumping it, slow and low at first then look out. So far I have to give this Monster a rating of B+ or A- . Most of my problems have been operator error. Once I get it figured out, I will be able to run with you big dogs ! Thanks for all the help ! This site is GREAT. I have learned alot on here !
Smitty