Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

another broken 1/8 supercrawler steering servo

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

another broken 1/8 supercrawler steering servo

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 07:05 PM
crawlerznballerz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another broken 1/8 supercrawler steering servo

Hi all,

I'm new here and fairly new into the crawling scene, so a huge hello to all. I have really been enjoying my rockslide supercrawler and bash it hard on the huge rugged boulders around squamish and whistler bc...this terrain (and my rookie driving) is hard on parts and I've broken, replaced or modded/fabricated various bits and pieces. But the plastic servo steering arm is something that seems to only last about 10 "rides" before failing.

On my last order to redcat I purchased 3 of them but they don't sell them individually; you must buy a steering kit. (added expense plus surprise 40 buck brokerage fees and taxes since ordering bits over the border) At my LHS I then purchased futaba (same # of splines apparently) servo arms and horns and discs and fabbed them into fitting into the confined space available on the SC but these don't last to long either...I think Im ready to try aluminum arms but everyone tells me that its likely to break the servo instead (yes still running the stock lansu 10kg)...anyone having the same problem?...any ideas on reducing the failure rates?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:07 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: another broken 1/8 supercrawler steering servo

im afraid that if you upgrade the arm to alloy, the stock servos will eventually fail. may take awhile, but it will happen.

get a pair of these servos, they are cheap, come with thick plastic arms of their own, are metal geared and have more torque than the stock servos: http://www.hobbypartz.com/servo-mg946r.html
i have them on my SC.

what battery do you use on your SC? i have heard that some are running 3s lipos on the stock electronics. this adds some torque, and greater wheel speed.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:07 PM
crawlerznballerz

those servos seems to get a great review and are priced cheap enough to buy a few at once... even with the surprise cross border duty!?!

I have been running a 6 cell minh 5100 mah which usually lasts about 45 - 1 hour with the stock 2200 as a back up and looked into 3s lipo but after reading various forums sounds like quite a few SC stock esc's where burning up...i figured that most stock esc's probably may last 6-10 months (pulled that # out of the blue) but after it goes it may be a good time to upgrade to lipo with a esc that is designed for it, perhaps you have another suggestion of a good esc ,lipo compatible, with 4 wheel steering
Old 05-05-2011, 09:18 PM
crawlerznballerz

should i get the alloy or plastic arms with the t-pro?
Old 05-06-2011, 06:51 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: crawlerznballerz

should i get the alloy or plastic arms with the t-pro?
alloy is better, but the plastic arms are beafy and will do the job.

the outcry duel motor ESC(google search it) is a nice upgrade.
it has external BEC, can be run on 3s lipo, and is $60.
i had one for awhile on my rs10(till i sold the rs10)

i have run 3s on the stock ESC....but that was on the rs10. the SC and rs10 use the same ESC. but the rs10 does have smaller motors, so the larger ones in the SC would put more strain on the ESC if running 3s.