Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Ground Pounder ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 10:54 AM
soldier5050

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat Ground Pounder ??

Does anyone have a Redcat Ground Pounder that can tell me what there truck runs like . Ibought one beginning of the April and have had nothing but problems . So any one have that can tell me what there's is like would be great .....
Old 05-16-2011, 01:39 PM
rccrazer

Default RE: Redcat Ground Pounder ??

at work we drive them alot around the holidays. they drive just like a real monster truck. what seems to be your issue friend?
Old 05-17-2011, 08:05 AM
soldier5050

Keeps blowing ESC . It has blown 4 of them . Sent it back and they replaced the ESC , Servo , Crystals , Reciever and got it back last week seem to run fine for 20 minutes or so then started to shake real bad then lost the steering . Then all went out . Ihad a spare ESC and put it in and the truck turned on then stopped the ESC started to smoke then nothing . They cannot seem to fix the truck bought it April 1st and have ran it 25 minutes rest of the time been down at there shop . Now unsure what they will do . I just wanted to see if anyone having one had any problems . Ijust belive I bought a LEMON .

I love the truck and still want one . It is so cool .........
Old 05-18-2011, 06:38 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the first gen Ground Pounder when they first came out and the truck was great for a couple of weeks then I started having problems with the electronics. After talking to Redcat for literally hours trying to trouble shoot the goofy transmitter I sent it back to them. They replaced the receiver and sent it back. It ran great for another week or so until the radio problems started again.

This time instead of sending it back I decided to fix it myself. By this time I had run the truck enough to know what I did and did not like about it so here's a list of Pros and Cons.

Pros
Very well designed chassis. Strong but light weight.
Great Axles. Mine are still working fine even after I upped the power.
Reasonably adjustable suspension. More than enough adjustments for a solid axle MT.
Over all Well built truck that has given me no problems other than the receiver/transmitter issues and a couple of stripped spur gears.

Cons
Motor is seperate form gearbox. This causes the motor the flex independent of the gear box and strip spur gears.
Receiver / transmitter problems.
No foam in tires.
Weak motor for such a large truck.
Shock adjusters hit chassis when you try to soften up the preload.
Rear steering makes truck too sensitive to drive anything more than a crawl.

Things I feel could have been done better.

Battery should be located under the radio tray instead of on top.
550 sized motor standard
32P or MOD1 gears standard.
Optional Locker for the rear should be included with kit.
Rear steering Lockout should be included with kit.
Put foam in the tires.
Increase the size of the spacers at the top of the shocks so adjusters clear the chassis.

Here is my Ground Pounder.

To do away with with the electronics problems I switched over to an old traxxas Receiver and radio. At the same time I decided to do away with the rear steer as I felt it unnecessary. Please ignore the ugly rear plate. I'm making a nicer piece tonight. You can see where the cuts will be made to make it smaller.

To fix the Spur gear stripping problem I Swapped in a traxxas Jato Spur gear that was modified to accept the stock Slipper. CPE sells a MOD1 Conversion so you can just buy the gears.

Added 550 S-600 motor for power. This switch required a different ESC so an old yellow XL5 was installed. The Stock ESC worked fine for the stock motor but got hot with the S-600.

Added an additional brace to the gearbox to reduce movement.

Added small spacers to the top of each shock to allow shock collars to be adjusted without hitting chassis.

Changed battery position. Battery now under electronics plate.

Removed upper "cab extension" of chassis to allow for a lower body mounting position.

Body lowered appox 1 inch.

Added foam to stock tires.

All of these mods have made he truck a blast to drive. I beat it pretty badly and it's held up just fine. The gearbox, suspension and axles are all 100% stock and doing a great job. I do wish for a locker for the rear but I believe CPE has one available. Overall I'm happy with the truck and would buy another one in a heart beat. I just wish Redcat would address some of the cons listed above and consider the mods I've made for future updates.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:19 AM
soldier5050

That sound like mine but lasted only 25 minutes . I would be lucky to have it 2 weeks without a break down . That would seem like forever ?

I have had it at Redcat they fixed all electronics and now still waiting for a answer on what they want to do . Been 5 days no answer and now I am getting mad . You think they would jump right on fixing it . There service SUCKS!

I do love the truck for the time ran it . I bought a Traxxas Slash about a weekafter the GP and run it everydayand man now that is a truck . I can see why Redcat products are so cheap ?
Old 05-23-2011, 07:47 AM
soldier5050

Well bought another GP last week recieved and runs really well . I had to I love it so much . Shows every once in a while a lemon is made !!
Old 05-29-2011, 04:50 PM
kelynsdad1023

Well I burnt out my stock speed controller after a year and a half. But I was running a brand new 8.4 venom battery,I dont think the stock ones handle an 8.4 to well even they're listed to be to handle an 8.4 . Anyone know a good replacement for the stock one that can handle an 8.4 ?
Old 05-31-2011, 05:13 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is running a Traxxas XL5 ESC. It'll handle 9.6V with no problems.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:46 AM
kelynsdad1023

ORIGINAL: john01374

Mine is running a Traxxas XL5 ESC. It'll handle 9.6V with no problems.
is that with the stock radio ?
Old 06-04-2011, 05:53 AM
soldier5050

Good news again from Redcat they have fixed the GP again and this is what they have done to it this time ..

installed a new radio system our new 3ch 2.4ghz, another new ESC, replaced both servos ground pounder works great....

Well looking forward to running it again . The second one that I just got in last week runs great , just a little scared to run it looks so sweet . Yesterday had it on the track and was awesome ran one battery through it ...

Old 06-07-2011, 06:23 PM
xerxes

i think iv got da baddest ground poundr out ther.

my stock esc still works. i evn waterproofed it & ran it submerged till i smoked 3 motors in 1 day. den went bL.
any1 wants da stock esc jus pay shipping
Old 06-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Capn kanuckles

The stock esc are not very good,goto ebay and pick up a tazer 15t esc,works great and only $30
Old 06-23-2011, 09:42 PM
xerxes

i think iv got da baddst gp out ther, no?

sheer plates. aftr i designd my axle brases, i buckld da alum chassis sides.
1/8" steel sheer plates

my axle braces also protect steern linx