Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Earthquake 8E Junk? Nope, just bad luck.

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Earthquake 8E Junk? Nope, just bad luck.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:30 AM
RunsWithScissors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Earthquake 8E Junk? Nope, just bad luck.

Just got my Earthquake 8E. Charged the lipos and took it out to play...for about 5 minutes. Never even made it close to full throttle as I was trying to take it easy on the new motor just as I have with my brushless Traxxas vehicles. Now something just grinds, horribly with no movement. Anyone else had this issue. I don't have time to sit on the phone with customer support until I get home from work. My Avalanche will be here tomorrow and it it's going back unopened for a refund. But the Earthquake I am stuck with and would like to get it repaired. Sorry for the lack of information but I am getting ready to go work and don't have time to tear into it until I get home. Any suggestions on what my problem could be would me much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:40 AM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Earthquake 8E Junk? Nope, just bad luck.

sounds like the diff issue...Keep the Avalanch, you'll love that truck!
Old 05-23-2011, 12:48 PM
XtrmTJ
My Feedback: (6)

Diffs need to be shimmed some times, mine didn't, yours may be ?
Old 05-23-2011, 01:29 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my earthquake 8e ran well for the 1st 7-8 battery packs. then the front diff pinion lost 4 teeth. if there is loud noise, it can be the diff gears or it can be a loose drive cup on the center drive shafts.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:46 PM
RunsWithScissors

Well I finally got to tear into it. Drivetrain is fine. Motor is seized up. I would never have thought that noise was the motor. I can't spin the motor by hand. Already filed a warranty claim. I am still returning the Avalanche. If customer service is satisfactory I will buy another. Thanks for the quick responses. If I get to run it more than 5 minutes your advice may come in handy, I hope not though. But so far I am really regretting straying from Traxxas.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:32 PM
basketballfan60123
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: RunsWithScissors

Well I finally got to tear into it. Drivetrain is fine. Motor is seized up. I would never have thought that noise was the motor. I can't spin the motor by hand. Already filed a warranty claim. I am still returning the Avalanche. If customer service is satisfactory I will buy another. Thanks for the quick responses. If I get to run it more than 5 minutes your advice may come in handy, I hope not though. But so far I am really regretting straying from Traxxas.
Expect issues with any brand of rc you buy; they all have their weaknesses.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:28 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

redcat will replace the motor for sure. its rare to have one fail like that. mine has been running without a hitch.

i had a traxxas vxl that the ESC broke on the 3rd run.

when any company makes thousands of models, each with hundreds of parts, a defective part will slip threw now and then.

but redcat will always take care of a customer who has a problem with a new vehicle. they are really good about that. their 90day warrenty on electronic parts is no joke.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:57 PM
RunsWithScissors

I understand all brands will have their issues. My Tmaxx 3.3 broke a rod on the 3rd tank of break in, but I didn't have to wait a long time for a replacement. My LHS replaced the motor. It's just the wait for a new motor that has me aggravated. I heard these 2200KV motors are made by hobbywing and out of stock until June, which is interesting because the Earthquake is also on backorder until June. I try not to believe everything I hear, I wouldn't have bought the Redcat if I did. I bought a different motor just in case. I didn't want to wait for the warranty claim to go through then to find I have to wait on a backordered motor. I don't regret buying it, yet. The price is definitely right on redcat products. I do hope to buy another Avalanche in the near future but couldn't take the chance of having 2 brand new cars sitting. I would love to have one of the 1/5 gas vehicles as well but it is a little much for the area I have to run in. You guys seem to be enjoying your Redcats and hopefully I will be joining you very soon.

My Velineon esc took a crap last week. But I have ran the wheels off that car. That poor thing got ran for at least 2 hours a day almost everyday for over a month. Hopefully that motor is still good.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:19 PM
basketballfan60123
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: RunsWithScissor
My Velineon esc took a crap last week. But I have ran the wheels off that car. That poor thing got ran for at least 2 hours a day almost everyday for over a month. Hopefully that motor is still good.
You are very lucky; the VXL-3s esc on my slash 4x4 took a crap on me after about a dozen runs.
They replaced it for free ( I paid for $10 shipping charge) but it took over 2 weeks for me to receive my replacement and quite a lot of people have had issues with this particular esc besides the other half dozen issues I had with the car.
I have had less issues with my redcat aftershock 8e than with the slash 4x4.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:25 AM
NewRageRC
My Feedback: (1)

The engine on my neighbor's Revo 3.3 took a crap during break in, too. Traxxas replaced it without much trouble, but he waited 3 weeks for it. Unfortunately waiting is just part of the game, no matter who you're dealing with.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:30 AM
RunsWithScissors

I'm just anxious I guess. I was talking great things about this car to my buddies before I even had it and then it broke immediately. Still no word on warranty replacement but the motor I bought will be here tomorrow. I can't wait to get this thing back out.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:00 PM
RunsWithScissors

Redcat finally sent me a reply from my warranty request. They want me to send it to them for evaluation. I already bought another motor from Hobbywing, it is identical to the one that came in my Earthquake. I am just chalking it up as a loss. I refuse to pay shipping there and back over a $40 motor. I am really enjoying my Earthquake since I got the new motor and look forward to keeping it in service for quite some time but it is my first and last redcat. I wasn't enjoying spendiing almost $400 on something just for it to sit for weeks. But anyway I am done ranting about my bad luck and plan to enjoy my toy.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:10 PM
edgeverse

Runs..
I had a similair issue with my EQ 8e as well. I had a bad esc. It was killing my batteries. I'd buy more, kill them too.
I contacted Redcat and they emailed me bacl like a day later and asked me to ship it to them to look at it, like they did you.
It cost me 15 bucks to ship it via UPS.
2 weeks passed and I got an email with an invoice that an esc was being shipped to me. They sent me a brand spanking new one.
It was still sealed. I popped it in, and YAY. Back on the road I was.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:24 AM
RunsWithScissors

<textarea style="width:100%;height:100%;position:absolute;top:0;lef t:0;right:0;bottom:0"></textarea>