Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

destroyed clutch shoes while breaking in avalanche xp.

I am new to nitro rc. I ordered a brand new avalanche xp off e-bay and bought a used revo 3.3 to mess around with while i waited for my avalanche. I spent hours watching youtube videos about breaking in and tuning a new nitro engine. Anyways the avalanche came in the mail and i think i did everything right when it came to set up and break in. But on my sixth tank i noticed the truck started to idle higher and higher and finally just started screaming. I took the engine out to check the clutch bell and shoes to find that the shoes were so worn that the springs were almost cut in half. ordered new parts but dont want to run it until i know what caused this. All help will be greatly appreciated.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: destroyed clutch shoes while breaking in avalanche xp.

When the engine starts idling higher you need to turn the idle adjustment screw out to lower the idle. When your clutch is partially engaged it will wear and heat up.That heat is probably what caused it to break. I also recommend searching for clutch spring replacements as the Redcat spring seems to not hold tension very well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks. I ordered alum. clutch shoesand a new clutch bell assembly but i will look into the stiffer springs. i guess it got so hot it ruined the bearing. Maybe i should pay more attention to stuff like that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Aluminum clutch shoes will need maintenance from time to time, they can mushroom over and keep the shoes engaged unless they are sanded down. The do give a much better grab than the Teflon shoes though.
    125 characters and 2 lines is not enough to list my RC obsession!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thats OK i like doing the maintenance. I cant wait to get it back together and see what the thing can do. Thanks for the info.