Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Backdraft 8E Motor and ESC

Hello everyone just wanted to see if anyone out there could suggest a new Motor and ESC combo for my Backdraft 8E. I have been looking everywhere and yeah there are alot of good deals but that doesnt matter. I want a combo thats going to be really fast then i will get everything else around it. I really dont race my 8E just want to have some fun with my son. We have been going around to some parking lots here and watching some street bikes do some stunts and i thought it would be cool the 8E into some vids with them. Any help would be sweet! Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Backdraft 8E Motor and ESC

Why would you want to change the motor? It's fast as hell out of the box.
    ยค Redcat Rampage XB-E
    ยค Losi Comp Crawler
    ยค Losi Ten SCTE
    ยค Ofna Nexx 8
    ยค Ofna JL10e
    ยค B4.1 Worlds Kit

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well i want to just see how fast it can really go. Dont get me wrong stock this buggy does fly but i want it faster. Im not going to race the BD8 im just going to have some fun with my son. And we love speed.

Find a tekin motor and esc and run 6s and check around for pinions and such, gearing will be your best friend to gain more speed also

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

cant u jus gear up now? heat permitting?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah you can but i just want to get a nice powerful motor and esc then i will gear and everything else depending on what we will be doing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You really are going about this backward...

unless you move up a class in motors (ie: up a whole can size) - you're not going to get much more powerful than what we already have. They've tested the tacon (bargain bin motor - very, VERY similar to what we have) , against some other high level brand name motors of the same size, and they had different feels, - made power in different areas, but ultimately there wasn't a heck of a lot of difference in power or speed (as for longevity, i can't say)

Moving up a can size to say a monster truck can would be all well and good.. but i can say that my stock drive shafts have stripped with stock power levels.. and the driveshaft sockets have some deep deep grooves in them from the stock power. I can't see your diffs lasting very long with a bigger can motor.

You'd get more benefit from regearing than you would from a motor.. also have you re-programmes the stock ESC? if not - go buy a program card and do so.. it makes the motor a different animal when you increase the punch (acceleration/ how hard it'll hit) and the timing (top speed - roughly translated lol) - you don't want to max out either, but make a few changes, 1 stop at a time, and you'll find the right formula for you. Timing is especially helpful when you re-gear.

However - you can definitely step up the ESC.. the hobbywing 80A that we use stock, is nice... but you can easily run a 125A ESC, and 3s lipos.

Currently - the ESC is the only real thing holding you back. similar motors as ours will hold up to 6s power, with the appropriate timing, and a good heatsink/fan on it. current;y though - that 80A esc won't handle 6s total lipo gracefully.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So what your saying is that the BD8e has already a good strong and fast motor and what i need to do is think about the ESC and gearing? Ok Ican understand that. Ihave done some programing with the ESC but not really that much. As far as gearing I havent touched it is there a good ratio that you have tried for both top speed and punch that will work well with the stock motor. I know some about it but anymore info would help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, in terms of this size can - the motors in ours are already pretty good..   you can certainly buy other motors in the same size range- but there won't be significant gains to be had...  might get a little more midrange out of one motor, or some better high end out of another...  but the overall max revs isn't going to be impacted much (that's what controls your top speed.)

Upping to a different battery can increase the max revs - but you'll need to cool that motor down, and get an esc that can handle it..  Right now - we're sitting at 2 x 2s lipos in series..  You can run 2x  3s packs, but the esc will fry.   A new ESC will help handle higher voltage batteries.

As for gearing - there are a few ways you can increase top speed..  In general - "punch" will go down as top speed goes up... They aren't perfectly inverse, but close.   The extra battery voltage will help.

Things that will affect your top speed:  pinion gear, spur gear, and wheel/tire size.

A larger pinion gear will give you higher top speed, but less punch.   A smaller spur gear will do the same.  To prevent cogging, you'll have to find a good balance between both, to allow modest gains.

Whats your goal? 60mph?   easily doable with just a slightly larger pinion.  70 mph? you'll need to get a larger pinion AND a smaller spur.  If you try to get all the gains from just one gear - you'll cog the motor under power..  You might also want to consider a slightly larger tire/ wheel combo.   thats the easiest way to pick up about 3mph (unless you go monster truck sized lol) with whatever setup you choose.

I don't have any specific ratios for you for the backdraft/aftershock - I've done it on other vehicles i own.. never had the need to do it to the aftershock (I had to mod my other vehicles just to keep up with it lol)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok I am going to mess around with some gearing ratio while I wait for my new ESC and Lipos to come in. But like I said I dont know much gearing. Would my LHS have spur and pinion gears that would fit or would this be something I would have to get from Redcat or and on-line dealer?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the pinion, you'll have no trouble finding... just make sure it's a snug fit over the shaft, and comes with its own grub screw (ours is an odd-size IIRC)

The spur - look specifically at some traxxas and losi  spurs - i recall some aftershock owners having good luck with those brands in terms of what fits. Don't get a steel one until you know the ratio you want.

I would take the 8e down to the lhs and try some stuff out.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds good thanks for the help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models