Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Converting Sumo to 2.4ghz on the cheap

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Converting Sumo to 2.4ghz on the cheap

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:57 AM
NewRageRC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting Sumo to 2.4ghz on the cheap

When we got our Sumos, my buddy ordered a spare DSM receiver (standard in the 1/10 and 1/8 scale cars) hoping we could put it in one. When we found the receiver and ESC are on a single board, we pretty much just gave up, but its been nagging at me ever since. The goal is to upgrade to 2.4ghz for less than the cost of the car (which rules out scavenging a SumoCrawler).

Last night Itook the truck apart to get an idea of what I'm dealing with.Iwas hoping Icould cut the receiver traces and solder this DSM receiver in its place, but I'm no electronics whiz and based on my 5 minutes of observation I doubt I'll be able to do that.

ThenI remembered my dad talking about his Mini-Z. One of the upgrades is separating the receiver and ESC so they can be upgraded independently. My current plan is to find one of the micro ESC boards and try make it work with the DSM receiver. I'm pretty sure I'll need a different steering servo, too, but I'll worry about that after I figure out if this will work at all.

I'll post pics and progress. Hopefully it works out.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:06 AM
jaturner

Default RE: Converting Sumo to 2.4ghz on the cheap

Sounds like a great project. Keep us informed on your progress.

You may want to reference this thread its really long but there should be some helpful tips for what you are trying to do.

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...117115&page=53

Old 06-16-2011, 08:32 AM
NewRageRC
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Converting Sumo to 2.4ghz on the cheap

I read through about 10 pages of that thread the other day, but then I couldn't find it again. Thanks! I'm thinking in the end it might make more sense just to steal the parts from a crawler because it should have everything I need, but Mini-Z stuff also has the advantage of letting me move to a brushless motor if I want.