Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ground Pounder Centre Gearbox ?

Just got my Ground Pounder back from a tireless round trip from Redcat and now the teeth on the gear on the Centre Gearbox are worn off . When it arrived from Redcat noticed it was making a bad noise figured it was not good checked out the teeth on the Centre Gearbox and they were worn off . My question do Ihave to change the whole gearbox or can I just change out the gear that is worn ? I bought this truck on May 3 and have ran it a total of 2 hours since then . Very upset with the truck and how it never runs . I bought a second one just to see if Idid get a lemon and the second truck runs like a dream so looks like Igot a lemon on the first one . Nothing but problems with it . Redcat seems not to care !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Ground Pounder Centre Gearbox ?

You can simply change out and replace that spur gear. It arrived back FROM Redcat with a worn spur gear though?

PM or email me your shipping address and I'll get you a stock replacement spur gear sent in the mail, no charge. Thanks!
    Brett Crawford - Owner
    Crawford Performance Engineering
    www.crawfordperformanceengineering.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sure did arrived sounding tough as hell . They should have heard unless they are deaf ?!?! They must have ran the hell out of it testing it so at least I am getting one from you . Several emails to REDCAT and nothing about this . Very upsetting!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Redcat has come through after timeless emails . Never once did I get a email but Saturday the gear showed up in the mail from them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Soldier - Odds are the stock gear is simply going to strip out again. 48P gears are simply just to weak for this truck due to the design. Having the motor attached separate from the trans allow the motor and trans to flex at different times and it will kill a 48P gear in a heartbeat. 32P should be considered minimum but MOD1 is better.

Get in touch with CPE and get the MOD1 pinion and spur. Your gear problems will be over. Then you can move on to the next problem area. I love my GP but after owning it for a while stock I decided to make major mods to the truck. All things I personally feel should have been done during R&D... Hey RedCat.. I have 25 yrs experience.. Any job openings in R&D or QC and testing ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John do Istill use 81 teeth or can I get by with a smaller one ? I have emailed CPE to talk to them about what you have discussed here with me .I got the replacement gear from them and just like you said went through it very fast unsure why as my other GP does not yet have this and run it all the time .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Soldier. When you bought the Gear from CPE did you get the stock 48P gear (fine teeth) or the MOD1 Gear (large coarse teeth)? If it's the small tooth 48P gear you will continue to strip that gear. 48P is much too fine for a monster truck and in my opinion a bad design decision. If you stripped the MOD1 gear something is seriously wrong with the truck.

I'm thinking the difference in your trucks could be the different versions. Right now Redcat is selling the 3rd revision of the truck. One of the major changes thay made was adding a second brace to hole the transmission in place. Look at the two trucks and compare how the trans is mounted. I'm willing to bet that the truck that stays together has two braces and the one that strips the gear has only one. If this is the case you can buy just the brace from CPE for about $5 and it will help the problem.

My truck is the Gen1 truck with only one brace. I decided to make my own 2nd brace and use a traxxas 32P gear. So far no more problems with about 30 packs through the truck. When you're on the phone with CPE I would also try to get some of the alum cross bars for the chassis. The more you have the less likely the truck is to bend when you hit something. I made my own but they do sell them for not a lot of money. I want to say I added 10 or 12 to my truck...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John the one recieved was Redcat stock unsure only know it is the same that was on it when I bought it . 81 teeth . I know it is not the one you mentioned just a hard plastic no metal.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John is this the one I need ?

BS801-014STL: Ground Pounder Mod1 43T Steel Spur Gear

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That steel spur gear, along with a steel Mod1 pinion will ensure you no longer have any gear issues.
    Brett Crawford - Owner
    Crawford Performance Engineering
    www.crawfordperformanceengineering.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks just got your paypal bill will pay next! Thanks for all your help guys!