Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

traxxas engine in redcat shockwave

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

traxxas engine in redcat shockwave

Old 07-23-2011, 06:29 PM
rey745

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traxxas engine in redcat shockwave

hello i recently upgraded my nitro rustler to the dynamite mach 2. i have a redcat shockwave and redcat lightning had problems with the vx 16 on both partially my fault didnt do a proper break in but my question is there any way to fit my traxxas 2.5r into the shockwave the mounts fit exhaust fits but the clutch bell doesnt reach the gears. is there some kind of clutch nut adapter or extended clutchbell to reach the spur gear any help would be appreciated thanks in advance
Old 07-24-2011, 07:31 AM
masterhacker1989

Default RE: traxxas engine in redcat shockwave

Don't do that, traxxas engines are underpowered I have a 2.5, and 3.3, there are better options out there. The traxxas engines are a RTR engine, They built them to be "idiot proof"  so they are harder to blow up, look into a better brand.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:49 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

traxxas 2.5r and 3.3 are powerful engines for thier displacements, the 2.5(.15) and 3.3(.20) easily make a tmaxx wheelie, to install in your shockwave or lightning depends on what crank you have, they made them with 2 different cranks, one is threaded)(multishaft) and the other has the end with a screw ready to go(ips). They make an adapter for them to fit different applications, sounds like you have the threaded crank, you will need an adapter
Old 07-24-2011, 10:45 AM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iwould like to learn more about adapters , can you help. Isee if I want to swap the SH28 into the Aftershock 3.5 Iwill need a 3 shoe clutch assembly 83003 (on backorder) but what about other engines ? Are Redcat parts interchangeable with other makes? Is there an industry standard? Isee different flywheels with different dimensions listed at SH but they are sketchy on details.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:58 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

You need the 2.5 or 3.3 with a multi shaft. It won't work other wise.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:04 PM
ehroof

most .21 and .28 use a 3 shoe clutch system, most any brand setup will work, hpi savage, etc.....
Old 07-24-2011, 12:07 PM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: AllAboutFunHobbies

You need the 2.5 or 3.3 with a multi shaft. It won't work other wise.

Wade, it should work, he would just need to get a different flywheel, flywheel nut, shoes and spring. I am not sure if the bearings would be the same.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:01 PM
rey745

thanks for all the input guys. do you know what adapter would work ? also upon closer inspection the shafts are the same lengths it just there is some kind of spacer on the redcat engine that makes the fly wheel extend a few mm's but it doesnt fit on the traxxas shaft, i was thinking about drilling it out to fit the shaft and then put the fly wheel on cause every thing else fits bearings clutch and clutch bell , or do you think the ofna 10099 shim kit would work ? i'm just trying to save money by not having to buy a new engine and let the 2.5 just sit around collecting dust it only got about 2 quarts in it. thanks again in advance
Old 07-25-2011, 12:54 AM
masterhacker1989

Hate to argue with you, but traxxas engines arent that powerful compared to other engines in the same class. Wheeling can be done by changing gearing,  Traxxas engines also have that "bog" when you take off, I'm not knocking traxxas, i have a tmaxx with a 3.3 and I love it, But dynamite, ofna, os, and many other engines rip Trx engines a new one when installed in a tmaxx ( i used to work at a hobby store and everyone had tmaxx's and mine with the 3.3 was the slowest)
Old 07-25-2011, 06:33 PM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: masterhacker1989

Hate to argue with you, but traxxas engines arent that powerful compared to other engines in the same class. Wheeling can be done by changing gearing, Traxxas engines also have that ''bog'' when you take off, I'm not knocking traxxas, i have a tmaxx with a 3.3 and I love it, But dynamite, ofna, os, and many other engines rip Trx engines a new one when installed in a tmaxx ( i used to work at a hobby store and everyone had tmaxx's and mine with the 3.3 was the slowest)
No arguing bro, for the price a 2.5 or 3.3 is probably the best bang for the buck, if you want to pay $300 you can get an os .21tm, its a fit, has a small block case with a big block displacement, just like the 3.3... you can get an os .18 tz thats a power house and should fit but you looking at close to $200 for it. I have a few 3.3's in a few different traxxas products and havent ran into a bog when i take off.

You can also put a big block into it but it will take some work, you will have to drill the chassis out for the big block mounts. He was asking if it will fit in his shockwave or lightning and it will with no modification.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:38 PM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: rey745

thanks for all the input guys. do you know what adapter would work ? also upon closer inspection the shafts are the same lengths it just there is some kind of spacer on the redcat engine that makes the fly wheel extend a few mm's but it doesnt fit on the traxxas shaft, i was thinking about drilling it out to fit the shaft and then put the fly wheel on cause every thing else fits bearings clutch and clutch bell , or do you think the ofna 10099 shim kit would work ? i'm just trying to save money by not having to buy a new engine and let the 2.5 just sit around collecting dust it only got about 2 quarts in it. thanks again in advance

You need a spacer without the notches on it, same like on the sh.18 engine. The vx uses a spacer with a notch since it doesnt use a flywheel collet.