Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

VX Engine, in Earthquake 3.5?

Hi All,

I bought this engine, http://www.hobbypartz.com/en18for1scni.html

Unfortunately I'm having some trouble putting it in the earthquake 3.5

If you take a look at that engine, you'll see the clutch assembly is a little different.

If Ido a direct swap of the clutch drum, and flywheel- there is no room left on the threads to put a clutch nut on.

Any suggestions for making this work?

Thanks,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: VX Engine, in Earthquake 3.5?

The motor you purchased has whats is called a SG Crank Shaft, Your Earthquake came with a Threaded Crank Shaft. You can make the SG crank work but you will need to get a few more items to make it work. You might want to see if you can get it swapped for the correct style (Thredded) crank shaft motor.
    Urc Hobby Redcat Racing, HPI, Traxxas, XTM Racing, Venom, RC4WD, Integy, DDM Racing & PRP Dealer LI New York

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the reply. I've been quite busy so I haven't gotten around to this yet.

Unfortunately I can't swap out the engine, so I'm hoping you can advise me what parts I need? Do you have them?

Thanks,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Iam running into the same trouble installing the SH28 in an Earthquake 3.5. Ithink the clutch and bell from an HPISavage might work but Iam still working on it.
    Club Saito # 677-Team Boca Bearings-Star Collectibles Muscatine-Glowhead Brotherhood #19

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You need the clutch setup from either the avalanche, monsoon or hurricane, also the setup from a savage will work, the .21 that comes on the earthquake 3.5 uses a threaded crank, most .21 and larger engines use an sg crank, you will need a clutch nut to hold the flywheel on, not sure if the stock flywheel will fit the sg crank. If you get the collet (unless the engine comes with on, most do), flywheel, clutch/flywheel nut, shoes and springs, cluch bell, bearings/washer kit for the avalanche, monsoon or hurricane it will work.
    125 characters and 2 lines is not enough to list my RC obsession!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you use a SH .28 You will also need Shims for the motor mounts as the larger backing plate and pull start on the SH .28 is very big and it will not clear the chassis with out shimming.
    Urc Hobby Redcat Racing, HPI, Traxxas, XTM Racing, Venom, RC4WD, Integy, DDM Racing & PRP Dealer LI New York