Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

New motor, now what pinion/spur to get?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

New motor, now what pinion/spur to get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 08:18 PM
Skoad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New motor, what pinion/spur to get? From Volcano brushed to Caldera Brushless motor

So IVe hunted around about this question, but am still confused.

Anyway, I have the Volcano EPX (brushed), but just swapped out the motor with the brushless motor that comes in the Caldera 10E (Brushless 540 Motor 3421KV BS701-007R), Im needing to upgrade my spur gear and figured I probably need a different pinion gear too.

The Volcano EPX came with THIS motor originally and had a .6 mod 17T pinion. Im not sure, but I think the gears for the Caldera are .8 mod?

Im just lost.

I plan to get the same .6mod 64T spur gear that the volcano came with unless it is something I would also need to change. The Caldera had a 51T, .8 module spur.

This motor is MUCH stronger than the brushed motor the volcano came with, and I am ready to run this thing!

All help/input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Skoad; 02-16-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:58 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well u dont really need to change the spur unless u need to drastically change the ratio.
If stock was a 17t go to a 15 and watch motor temps.
Idk about .6 and .8 pitch. I know 32 48 and 64
Sorry.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:46 AM
Skoad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I just got into RC and am already trying to upgrade my truck, wishing I had just purchased a much better truck to begin with haha. Was instantly addicted.

I talked with the Redcat reps and they said I should go up in pinion size (to 19-20), but definitely going to grab a 15 too. Thanks.

Now to figure out what else I need to upgrade on this thing.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:02 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The motor u got is supposed to be faster though?? Hell its brushless. If u can find a pinion set like on eBay, Robinson racing sets are on there. There's 5 to a set I've seen them 15-28 the sets come like 15-17-18-20-22 like that.
I would personally start with a lower pinion no it or temps and so long as its cool enough while bashing then start going up a tooth or 2 at a time. Don't let the motor go above 160 at about 140 the motor starts losing power. At 160 u start demagnitizing the magnets.
Have u ran it already? If u don't already have one u should get an IR gun(infrared temp gun) I got 1 for 20$ at Hoke depot and its saved me a few times, and my buddy who just got into SCT racing too. His motor got to 210°f he fixed it with lower gearing and a higher C rated lipo.