Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Do radios and batteries make that much difference?

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Do radios and batteries make that much difference?

Old 07-27-2011, 04:24 PM
worknman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do radios and batteries make that much difference?

I finally got my Volcano EPX Pro up and running after redcat tech support walked me through the binding process. Everything seems to be working fine. My question is how long does a standard 2000mAH 7.2v Battery last? Is it beneficial to upgrade and if so what is the best battery to get? Also in regard to my radio, I have a DSM-2C 2.4ghz. I am looking to extend my range. Any recommendations would be great.

Also, does the length of the antenna from the receiver make any difference? I realize i have asked a lot a questions now (yes I am new to this) so ill hang up and listen.

Thanks again for any input.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:44 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Default RE: Do radios and batteries make that much difference?

ORIGINAL: worknman

I finally got my Volcano EPX Pro up and running after redcat tech support walked me through the binding process. Everything seems to be working fine. My question is how long does a standard 2000mAH 7.2v Battery last?
Ans: 5 to 10 minutes, maybe 15

Is it beneficial to upgrade and if so what is the best battery to get?
Ans: Yes it is benificial to upgrade to a larger milliamp battery. You can go up in Milli amps or up in voltage. Both will give you higher speeds and longer run times. You can up to 8.4Volts NIMH and go as high as 5000Mah or more or you could go Lipo. Lipo will give you much longer run times and much higher speeds. However if you go to lipo you need a charger that can handle lipo
[link=http://allaboutfunhobbies.com/store/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=turnigy&x=0&y=0]Lipo[/link]

Also in regard to my radio, I have a DSM-2C 2.4ghz. I am looking to extend my range. Any recommendations would be great.
That radio system is a great radio. I have it and I use it on ALL my cars. The range is much farther than you are going to drive the car anyway.

Also, does the length of the antenna from the receiver make any difference? I realize i have asked a lot a questions now (yes I am new to this) so ill hang up and listen.
Yes it does. If you cut the antenna off you'll be lucky to get 20 of range. You basically want to leave it whatever length it came from the factory.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:34 PM
worknman

You, sir, are full of good info. I appreciate it greatly.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:33 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Thanks. By the way I'm also full of a lot of useless info if you ever need any of that too, lol.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:35 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: AllAboutFunHobbies

Thanks. By the way I'm also full of a lot of useless info if you ever need any of that too, lol.

and full of some other stuff too, lol...... I have been dying to say that since i saw his comment.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:36 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

LMAO [&o][&o]
Old 07-28-2011, 05:35 AM
NewRageRC
My Feedback: (1)

Yes it does. If you cut the antenna off you'll be lucky to get 20 of range. You basically want to leave it whatever length it came from the factory.
My Backdraft ate some asphalt with the antenna pinned between the body and antenna and ground it right off. Can Ijust solder another wire to it?Do Ihave to make it the same length or could it be longer?
Old 07-28-2011, 05:49 AM
edgeverse

On my Backdraft, I didnt bother making a hole in the body for the antenna. I have it tucked (in its tube) under the body and havent had any issues. I was just chiming in is all. Also, I am using a FlySky tx/rx set up, not the stock radio rx/tx.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:26 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

ORIGINAL: NewRageRC

My Backdraft ate some asphalt with the antenna pinned between the body and antenna and ground it right off. Can I just solder another wire to it? Do I have to make it the same length or could it be longer?
If you have a old style radio like a 27Mhz you can usually just solder a new piece of wire on. However if you have a 2.4Ghz radio it's a bit more tricky than that. You can still solder it back together, BUT (there's always a but) since there are TWO T-W-O, that's 2 pieces of wire in a 2.4Ghz antenna you have to solder two seperate pieces on and the center wire is shielded soooo you have to re-shield the center wire heat shrink it and wrap the other(outside wire) wire around the center wire (like a braid almost) and then heat shrink that and walla, only thing left to do is test the distance and make sure it's working properly.

F.Y.I. DO NOT LET THE WIRES TOUCH IF THE RADIO SYSTEM IS TURNED ON!!!! Very bad for receiver.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:28 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

ORIGINAL: edgeverse

On my Backdraft, I didnt bother making a hole in the body for the antenna. I have it tucked (in its tube) under the body and havent had any issues. I was just chiming in is all. Also, I am using a FlySky tx/rx set up, not the stock radio rx/tx.

On 2.4Ghz it's not how high the antenna sticks out. It will still work if the antenna is tucked under the body. On the old style 27Mhz and etc... it's about how high the antenna is, the higher it is the better the reception will be.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:37 AM
edgeverse

Oh ok. See? I learned a new thing in RC today. YAY

Thats something I love about these forums. I learn stuff all the time. Ive only been into RC since Jan. 2011.

Ive seen the 27 mhz radios. My wife bought an HPI blitz over a month ago and hers came with that. Like me, she upgraded to a Flysksy radio and reciever.
When she opened the HPIBlitz's box and saw the radio, she literally said.. "this has to go."

She even says that in the unboxing video over at youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxfOQjz8orQ