Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ESC Upgrade for CALDERA 10e ?

I'm going to go ahead and fix this thing up some.
    I am using 7.4V Venom LiPo batteries.

Buying SkyFly remote to replace the broken one that came with my truck.

1. What ESC is recommended? Should it have a fan ?
    2. What Servo do you recommend?
    3. What else would you recommend doing ? I.E. - Add heat sinc to motor ?

Thanks for your input.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: ESC Upgrade for CALDERA 10e ?

not sure why you wanna upgrade the ESC right away but:

the traxxas VXL speed control
    or the EZrun 60amp
    are both good options

www.hobbypartz.com has metal geared-higher torque servos for under $20. I have them in several RC's
    or you could pick up the traxxas 2075 waterproof servo.
    adding a heatsink or fan to the motor is a good idea for any rc model
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info !

Would the waterproof ESC be the only thing I need to waterproof, if I were to try and run it in the occasional creek bed with puddles?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If to water proof it take the Caldera body off and put it on a.............. Traxxas 4x4 chasis.................

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rootbeerslop

Thanks for the info !

Would the waterproof ESC be the only thing I need to waterproof, if I were to try and run it in the occasional creek bed with puddles?

a light slpash or 2 on the stock motor wont hurt it, but its not waterproof.

the servo will need to be waterproofed(unless you swap it out for a traxxas waterproof one)
    this can be done with plastic dip or liquid electrical tape.
    and you will want your reciever in a waterproof traxxas box, or a homemade box(plastic storage container)

but unless you swap out the motor for a fully waterproof one you wont be able to submerge the RC.

lastly, even if you have all the electronics waterproofed, water still takes a toll.
    i have a waterproof axial rock crawler, but the ball bearings and metal parts still get wet and will rust over time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If to water proof it take the Caldera body off and put it on a.............. Traxxas 4x4 chasis.................

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

not sure why you wanna upgrade the ESC right away but:

the traxxas VXL speed control
    or the EZrun 60amp
    are both good options

www.hobbypartz.com has metal geared-higher torque servos for under $20. I have them in several RC's
    or you could pick up the traxxas 2075 waterproof servo.
    adding a heatsink or fan to the motor is a good idea for any rc model

F.Y.I. Those cheap a** servos do NOT have an adequate separation between the Metal gears and the circuit board and if the gears start flaking metal (like cheap brass gear servos do) the flakes will get on the circuit board and short it out, that will in turn short out the receiver, esc and overload any other servos. In the end it will cost you ten times what that servo costs. In the end it's better to get a $40 futaba or Hitec steel gear servo.
    Dealer for..Redcat, Traxxas, Associated, Cen, Racers Edge, RD Logic, Losi, HPI, E-flight, Himoto, Venom, Heli-Max, O.S...etc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you. Looking at a HiTec on Hobby partz now.

I really wish I had known what I was getting into. Looks like I could have just bought a 350.00 truck instead of a 190.00 truck... I got to put the parts in it anyway.

This is extremely frustrating, and I do very much appreciate the help.

Do you have a local brick and mortar hobby shop?
    Dealer for..Redcat, Traxxas, Associated, Cen, Racers Edge, RD Logic, Losi, HPI, E-flight, Himoto, Venom, Heli-Max, O.S...etc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, but I walk in and say "Redcat" and they get all quiet....

Whatever tho... I don't care what brand.. I'm new to it and could care less. I saw decent reviews, but don't really appreciate how they are treating me as a new user.

Just got it... not working right... they want me to spend more money.

I just want them to send me a dang receiver ! As I've said, me and Redcat have been talking about this since Monday.

I'm about to say screw it and buy my stuff elsewhere since they obviously don't care to support their product in a decent fashion....

That's what makes me want to use Traxxas or Losi, or whatever... because you call them and say your ****e is broken, and they just send the dang part ASAP.

Redcat is arguing with me about it... REALLY ??

They get quiet because you got it online and they assume that no matter what they have or say your going to just go on line and get more cheap stuff, that will break and they figure why bother with this guy he's just a cheap skate and not here to purchase, just look, get our advice for free and then go buy it online at some cheap Chinese website or some undercutting dic*wad in his garage selling cheap crap online.

If you buy from them they WILL take care of you and make it worth your wild and give you all this information you are trying so hard to figure out right now. All for free, all with a smile and all there right in one spot only a phone call away. There's something to be said for paying the extra at the local Brick and mortar, you buy it, they will deliver and make that purchase worth your while in the long run.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Iwould give Tekin products a try, Ihave had good experiences with them in the past . My Tekin Rebel and formula 10 are excellent.
    Club Saito # 677-Team Boca Bearings-Star Collectibles Muscatine-Glowhead Brotherhood #19

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes you buy it for $190 $200 bucksand then the upgrades with all involved you have another $150 easily .I was told that you can't compare the Caldera to the Slash , because of the price . Bull.... because all the money in upgrading the junk cheap parts then you have a Slash . So if you could buy a truck that runs and has no breakdowns and a truck you are always working on . What would you do ??? Common sence tells me the truck that is ready to run but there are people that disagree . One thing with buying Redcat trucks you learn fast how to work on stuff ........ Hard lesson though...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

to get a slash 4x4 to be bullet proof, you need to replace the hubs with RPM, the driveshafts with MIP ones(there's $100 right there)
    easy $150 in upgrades.

Any rc model can benifit from upgrades. thats just part of the hobby.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AllAboutFunHobbies

They get quiet because you got it online and they assume that no matter what they have or say your going to just go on line and get more cheap stuff, that will break and they figure why bother with this guy he's just a cheap skate and not here to purchase, just look, get our advice for free and then go buy it online at some cheap Chinese website or some undercutting dic*wad in his garage selling cheap crap online.

If you buy from them they WILL take care of you and make it worth your wild and give you all this information you are trying so hard to figure out right now. All for free, all with a smile and all there right in one spot only a phone call away. There's something to be said for paying the extra at the local Brick and mortar, you buy it, they will deliver and make that purchase worth your while in the long run.
    It's about an hour away, but I have been in and bought some LiPo's from them. One guy is really cool and the other doesn't want to talk to me
    I'm happy to give business to them once I figure out what I need. I totally see your point though. The second time I went in the cool guy changed my connectors over for me for next to nothing.
    (took off the bananas ) While I was in there I just asked him to point out some things in his store that were good quality. So even though it's pretty far away I try to go there and keep it as local as possible.