Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Caldera Frankenstein?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Wearyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caldera Frankenstein?

I really love my Caldera 10e, and my FPV project on it is coming along nicely. However I am frustrated by the inability to add more than a single battery into the 10e's frame. It's just so narrow that I simply cannot fit another battery in there.

What I'm wondering is: Would it be possible to swap out the wider chassis plate from a Caldera 3.0 into a 10e? They appear to be the same length, and they have identical front and rear mount points. But would I be able to mount the brushless motor and backbone on it? What about the side rails? Would they fit?

Has anyone at Redcat tried this or know of anyone who has?
Old 09-07-2011, 07:17 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Caldera Frankenstein?

What are you looking for? longer run time? You can use a higher capacity battery. What do you have now for battery?
Old 09-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Wearyman

I'm looking for both longer run time and more space for a higher capacity battery. Right now the largest capacity battery hard case or soft that the Caldera 10e can fit is a 6000 mah LiPo. That's it. I'm looking for run times in the multiple HOUR range, which will require at least two 8000mah batteries. I can't even fit one of those in there right now, even with the stock battery mounts removed and just using velcro straps to hold the battery down. There just isn't enough space.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:50 PM
St33v3
My Feedback: (1)

Use multiple 6000mah instead.

It only takes a few seconds to change the batterie and it allows the motor/esc to cool down a little bit.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:24 AM
NewRageRC
My Feedback: (1)

Calderas share a lot of parts with the 1/8th scales. Easiest way would be to figure out the minimum amount of parts you'd need to convert to 1/8
Old 09-08-2011, 06:39 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is the issue the space the FVP equip is taking up?
post a pic of how you have everything mounted.

cause i would think you could have the ESC/radio on the lower chassis opposite the battery, and that should leave enough space to mount a pack on the upper plate.
but is that where you have the FVP stuff?
Old 09-09-2011, 10:50 AM
soldier5050

you could always switch to lipo batteries . The truck is already brushless so the battery would work great  !