Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Analyzing electric motors

So many motors, so little knowledge. Can someone please explain the two main stats I see when looking at electric motors for RC Trucks.

Already understand the difference between brushed and brushless.

First is KV such as a 3200kv .... Does more kv mean more power?

A number such as 540 indicates the size of the motor? Important to know that it wil fit into your car.

Second is Turns.. Is this like rpms? What is the difference between higher and lower turns? Why is that important to know?

How do you know what esc to get with a motor? How do you know if your esc will work with a motor that you order?

For example, when reading this page, how do I know the difference between the motors for 1/10 RC cars and trucks?
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/gensacesale.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Analyzing electric motors

KVis the number of rpms the motor will theoretically spin per volt of input.
    The number of turns relates to using a thicker wire with less turns which makes less low speed torque but higher rpm.
    rock crawlers typically use a high number of turns while all out racers use a few turns. For example a rock crawler with a brushed motor will typically use a 35 to 55 turn motor while a touring car may use a 19 turn.
    The most common number of turns for brushed motors was 27 turns which gave decent all around performance.
    Ibelieve brushless motors can get away with a lot less turns on average but Iam somewhat new to them myself.
    Club Saito # 677-Team Boca Bearings-Star Collectibles Muscatine-Glowhead Brotherhood #19

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do you think it is number of rpms per volt, per second = Kv?
    One way I could look at it is like a gear ratio. Fewer turns would be a higher gear, like on a bicycle in top gear, you peddle slower but
    your top speed will be higher. And same thing vice versa with low gears.
    If you want a rock crawler or rough terrain truck with big tires, you want more torque, less top speed, so you would want a motor with
    Higher number of turns. Street racer, lower turns (higher gear)
    Anyone else want to elaborate on some of the other questions please do!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually I found this cool video which helps to explain a lot.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSKXK...layer_embedded[/youtube]