Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got to go easier on the trucks

Well now both trucks are out of commission waiting on parts. I tell everyone that fixing the trucks is as much a part of this hobby as driving them. It's why for the most part, RC trucking hobby isn't really for young children as some have told me.

I've learned that these trucks are not indestructable after all. I took my Caldera 10E 1/10 brushless to a skateboard park and got carried away jumping off all the ramps. Ended up with a few missing screws,
    a missing hex nut wheel, missing body pin, cracked body cover, and now I think the servo is shot too. Have you ever tried to go shopping for a new servo? Hundreds of types and little or NO stats to tell
    one apart from the other! I got one coming and just hope its going to work. I think from now on no more big ramp jumping over concrete with the Caldera. I will limit it to smaller ramps and hills, flat gravel and flat grassy areas.

The other truck is a 1/10 brushed Volcano epx. Not trying to bash redcat, but when they switched over to the banana connectors it caused me a LOT of problems with this truck as it was all tamiya. I ordered the tamiya to banana adaptors and they send male tamiya's on the one end when I need females to make it work, so they were useless. I ended up cutting and splicing to get things connected only to find out they have the red and black reversed on the adaptors as well.
    Plugging in caused a battery reversal and cooked the ESC and wiring. Now I have to go shopping for a new ESC for that truck. Alas, at least it was a learning curve and now Im ripping out all plugs from batteries and trucks alike and putting Deans on everything with soldering so I never have that problem again. I eventually want to put a brushless set into this truck with a higher number of turns on the motor, bigger tires, and use it for rough terrain, not quite a crawler, but almost.

Moral of the story, I think we need to have a truck for each occasion and set them up accordingly, or your truck is going to need repairs after every outing. You need one for crawling terrain, one for rough terrain and ramps, and one for pavement.
    Unless of course you are an avid collector and have three for each.

Learning to do this hobby also means becoming an RC mechanic to keep the trucks running, I enjoy it, I just need to go easier on the trucks and make sure everything has proper wiring and connectors. The goal is to be able to take the
    truck out somewhere with a couple of batteries without having to take the truck home under your arm before the batteries run out.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq48105.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	1663742  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: I got to go easier on the trucks

As much as I love Redcat Ido feel they push the indestructability part a bit. It just isnt realistic to expect these things to be able to take huge amounts of punishment and not break stuff. They are a "good" RC truck but it isnt an anvil with wheels.
    When customers ask what truck to buy Itell them Redcat is a great value but if they want to keep it a long time they need to learn to repair it . Replacement parts are very reasonable priced too.
    Club Saito # 677-Team Boca Bearings-Star Collectibles Muscatine-Glowhead Brotherhood #19

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

True, I also forgot to mention that once you are well practiced with repairs and have a whole shed full of parts, a lot of guys like to go "Bashing" anyway just for the fun of it. Bash if you like, but be prepared to
    do a lot of repairing. Redcat doesn't mind.. cha-ching!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

servo shopping done:
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/servo-mg996r.html

i have these in several of my 1/10's, redcats/traxxas ect.
    they are cheap, metal geared and higher torque that most servos you get in RTR vehicles. you cant beat the price. go ahead and order 2 or 3. you wont regret it.

on the volcano, is it brushless or brushed?
    if brushed, get a traxxas xl-5 ESC
    if brushless, get an ezrun 35amp. or, if you can pony up a few more bucks get the 60amp.

the ezrun esc's are also on the site with the servos.

an yeh, concrete is murder on RC's! i used to jump my traxxas rustler vxl at the skate park. 4 sets of shocks, front bumper, reciever, rear hub, camber link later i decided to stick to dirt/grass.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You could also try the local hobby store , ask for the Associated S1903MG metal gear servo. It may not have the uber high torque but it is a good value in a metal gear servo. Iwill be installing one in the Volcano, Ihave had problems with my JR950 metal gear servo stalling and dropping my receiver battery voltage to where it looses contact with the transmitter. Not saying it is a crappy servo it was just a used one that Ipicked up cheap and Ithink it had been beat pretty hard.
    Club Saito # 677-Team Boca Bearings-Star Collectibles Muscatine-Glowhead Brotherhood #19

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks guys, awesome tips! I cannot find the XL-5 Traxxas ESC on hobbypartz, but what about just getting a combo and upgrade to brushless like this?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-blcomb...3r-3000kv.html its only 60 bucks. Would that work?