Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Sumo Hop Ups

Old 10-03-2011, 08:08 AM
rootbeerslop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sumo Hop Ups

Is there a good reference for doing these hop ups? The motor was easy, I'd like to replace the bushings with bearings now.
Never done it, and didn't know if there was a video or some point of reference.

Thanks !
Old 10-03-2011, 08:32 AM
NewRageRC
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Sumo Hop Ups

Best place to look is the exploded diagrams in the manual. For the bearings you'll pretty much take the entire truck apart.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:40 AM
rootbeerslop

Roger that I've got the first ones installed, and trying to get it back together, it's kindof a pain to get this through the bearing holes.
Other than that, yes 6 screws and taking some things off to get the bushings out and bearings in. I think putting it back together is the hardest part so far.

Thanks !
Old 10-03-2011, 11:17 AM
rootbeerslop

ORIGINAL: rootbeerslop

Roger that I've got the first ones installed, and trying to get it back together, it's kindof a pain to get this through the bearing holes.
Other than that, yes 6 screws and taking some things off to get the bushings out and bearings in. I think putting it back together is the hardest part so far.

Thanks !
Ok, it only took about 30 minutes to do this after I got the first one figured out.

The only things I have questions about now are:

1. If you tighten down the arm screws, the shocks don't go up and down very easily. Took me a sec to get that right
Does anyone thing the Aluminum Shocks help this little guy ? I heard the 180 motor and the bearings were the best upgrades.
Motor is definitely louder than the stock one. I'll see how fast it goes in a bit.

2. I tested all the bearings by hand before reassembling, and they seemed to be smooth.
When I test drove the car it still stops pretty fast, doesn't seem to "glide" in comparison to the previous parts.

Should you put WD-40 on the wheels or anything to help with the smoothness?

Old 10-03-2011, 12:38 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

You have the motor meshed to the spur gear wrong or you have some binding in the diff. Check the diffs first. Remove the motor and see how it rolls if you push it with your hand, if it rolls hard or stiff, then something is too tight in the diff or you have some screws too tight in the diff case. If it rolls smooth, then put the motor back in and re-set the mesh of the motor pinion and the spur gear. It shouldn't sound any louder than the original motor. Also make sure you don't have the throttle trim knob set in the wrong position.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:53 PM
rootbeerslop

ORIGINAL: AllAboutFunHobbies

You have the motor meshed to the spur gear wrong or you have some binding in the diff. Check the diffs first. Remove the motor and see how it rolls if you push it with your hand, if it rolls hard or stiff, then something is too tight in the diff or you have some screws too tight in the diff case. If it rolls smooth, then put the motor back in and re-set the mesh of the motor pinion and the spur gear. It shouldn't sound any louder than the original motor. Also make sure you don't have the throttle trim knob set in the wrong position.
Will do. Pardon the noob-ness. Can you explain resetting the mesh of pinion and spur gear ? Thanks for your time ! I'll check it out now.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:34 PM
rootbeerslop

ORIGINAL: rootbeerslop

ORIGINAL: AllAboutFunHobbies

Will do. Pardon the noob-ness. Can you explain resetting the mesh of pinion and spur gear ? Thanks for your time ! I'll check it out now.

Ok, took the motor out and it rolled fine. had a weak solder joint on the motor, so I fixed that. Took out the motor pinion and reattached that and tested just the front end first, and it seemed ok.
Put the back on and it seems to run smoother as a whole. It still stops kinda fast, but that is probably just me expecting it to roll farther because of bearings. I think it should be good. Thanks for your advice ! This is a fun little truggy.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:15 AM
NewRageRC
My Feedback: (1)

I have Radline oil filled shocks on mine. Seems like they're more for show than anything but who knows. I have 2 extra sets with the aluminum control links, pm me if you're interested.

Radline, if you aren't familiar, was a very similar truck sold at Target for a while.