Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat electric monster trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 05:09 PM
mmurray70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat electric monster trucks?

Im looking a buying a monster truck for my girlfriend. Im not all that up on monster trucks, i normally run buggies and truggies but shes set on a monster truck so looking for some advice. My LHS really pushes redcat. He reccomends I get the Caldera 10e. I cant seem to find much info on these online, any other forums with much info on it? An "official" thead somewhere maybe? Seems like the volcano is more popular, but he still recconmends the caldera. Should I look at the volcano too? How do you guys like the volcano and caldera?

I just noticed they have an Avalance XTE. This thing thing is more expensive obviously but looks awesome. I like how the chassis is the same basic design as my buggies and truggies, really easy to work on. Is the Avalanche XTE the same chassis as the Monsoon XTE? I've seen the monsoon at my LHS and it looks to be built really good.

Also looking at a used e-maxx although im not a really big fan of traxxas. Any advice on what i should buy?
Old 10-23-2011, 05:23 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Redcat electric monster trucks?

Check out the Ground Pounder its really cool.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:34 PM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have 3 caldera's and love them all.. the steering servo is weak tho. tough truck, my buddy Kurt at URCHobby.com hooks me up all the time, great guy to deal with!!
Old 10-24-2011, 05:18 PM
soldier5050

I have a Ground Pounder for sale????
Old 10-25-2011, 12:30 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the avalanche XTE is on a slightly modded version of the nitro chassis. basically just modded motor mount, battery mount ECT.

the caldera's make nice little basher trucks. upgrade servo is often a must, but the brushless system is good and the chassis is pretty tough as long as you stick with the stock nimh pack or a 2s lipo. some people want more speed and run 3s lipo....usually ends with more worn parts.

the caldera is the best of the 1/10 electric redcat models. its better than the volcano and worth the few extra bucks.

you should have a better time with redcat since your hobby store sells them. some get frustrated with redcat since they have to order parts online as many hobby stores dont carry redcat(why, i dont know)

so, if you like the size of the caldera...go for that.
if you can afford the XTE, then id buy that one. should be a very tough and fast truck. the avalanche nitro model is a beast of a truck. and the XTE should do about 40mph out of the box!

Old 10-26-2011, 03:55 PM
mmurray70

Went ahead an ordered the avalanche. looked to be built tougher and easier to work on which means alot less headaches for me. Comes with lipos stock too so thats great. hopefully it works out ok
Old 11-02-2011, 04:50 PM
fahaka

I just took my Avalanche out for its second run. I started to tear it down today to rebuild it and found it to be the best Redcat build that I have received from the factory. There is enough weight on the truck to keep the front end down. It does pop up but nothing like an earthquake with the same tire set on. The brakes are set a lot stronger than the earthquakes from the factory, which is nice.
The things that I noted I wish were different.
1. The steering servo seems very weak.
2. There is enough room to put the radio gear within width of the metal chassis but it hangs out over the edge
3. The chassis has all of the holes for the nitro vehicle it would be nice if they weren’t there
Old 11-02-2011, 05:56 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i really wish i had the cash to buy the avalanche XTE for myself. its clearly a more sturdy truck than the earthquake 8e. that trucks not bad, i liked mine. but it could stand to have stronger diff/stub axles/ect.

the avalanche started out as a chassis meant to carry the weight, unlike the earthquake 8e which is kind a stretched 1/10 caldera chassis.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:07 PM
mmurray70

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

i really wish i had the cash to buy the avalanche XTE for myself. its clearly a more sturdy truck than the earthquake 8e. that trucks not bad, i liked mine. but it could stand to have stronger diff/stub axles/ect.

the avalanche started out as a chassis meant to carry the weight, unlike the earthquake 8e which is kind a stretched 1/10 caldera chassis.
I had a chance to see a Monsoon XTE (truggy version of avalance chassis) running last week. Driver hit a wall at mid speed and broke a steering knuckle. LHS had a spair so we fixed it and ran it again for a while. Later broke the stub axle without any hard running. Not sure if it was related to the earlier crash. But its interesting you mention the earthquake having weak axles.

Also by the end of the ngiht (only ran two packs) the rear diff had some major binding. Took that apart and found a couple minor chips in a couple gear teeth but nothing major. cleaned everything and refilled and they were nice and smooth for now at least. Not sure if this is a sign of bad diffs too. Lets hope not.

If the avalance does have the crappy diffs/stub axles that you mention, are the alternatives? Are the diffs a direct copy of any other brand? Associated/kyosho/mugen/ofna/etc diffs drop right in by any chance?
Old 11-13-2011, 12:33 PM
mmurray70

I finally got my Avalanche XTE. Its a nice truck to drive. Not overly impressed with the durability so far. Landed a 3 foot jump vertically and broke the rear hingepin holder and upper suspension arm. I made a replacment from aluminum and got it running again. On the second charge the Steering servo burned out. So i guess redcat doesnt have the servo problem sorted out. Hopefully there wont be too many other problems with it.