Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Can I run 3 cell lipos on my Aftershock 8E

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Can I run 3 cell lipos on my Aftershock 8E

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 03:38 PM
All-or-Nothing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I run 3 cell lipos on my Aftershock 8E

I want to convert over to LiFe batteries and since the voltage is a little less on LiFe batteries I wanted to know if 3 cell LiPos will be fine. If the 3 cell LiPos can be run than the LiFe batteries will be perfect.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:34 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Can I run 3 cell lipos on my Aftershock 8E

a pair of 3s lipos would equal 6s to the speed control. thats more than the ESC or motor can handle.

the motor and ESC are rated for 4s....or about 16-18v max.

the ezrun 150amp system in the rampage XB-E will handle 6s lipo.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Goatcrapp

Slight correction....

motor will handle 6s, wth a fan/HS on it...   i've been running mine for over 30 hours of use at this point (includes bashing and racing - so it's seen the gamut) - no indications of wear or problems.  temps are just fine (with a fan and heatsink, obviously)

ESC won't be happy with 6s,  except for a short period of time before you let the smoke out..  definitely upgrade to the ezrun 150, if you want to run 6s LiPo

however - asking about LiFe changes it a bit...  on the low end - theyre sitting at about 18v, and 2x 3s LiFe won't go above 20V.

Short answer - you may get away with it for the ESC, too.  Be prepared to buy a new one however. 

Either way - 6s really transforms the aftershock.   Buy extra diffs, and shim them right.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:08 PM
86MOmo

Along the same line, Obviously the factory ESC has 2 Leads for 2 batteries.

I purchased a 3s 11.1v 5k lipo. and I wondered if it was possible to use the following adapter to make the ESC run 1 single Lipo rather than 2 2s lipo packs. Someone I know tried cutting the leads to make one, and had problems. I just wonder if the following adapter would allow me to use 1 lipo. (BTW, this is a Earthquake 8E ESC/motor combo in my RC8TE.)

MOmo
Old 11-07-2011, 12:20 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont think that will work. i cold be wrong but i would think that adaptor would send 3s power threw each lead....thus the ESC would still get 6s power.

but im really not sure.

also, on the traxxas EVX speed control(which also has 2 leads and uses 2 batts) 1 lead powers the BEC on the ESC and the other doesnt. thus, if you were to use a 3s lipo on that lead...it would be too much power and fry the BEC or the RX.

this is always the issue i have had with any RC that uses duel batteries, be it an emaxx or a earthquake 8e. i just never liked the idea of having to use 2 batteries for 1 truck.

you could buy the SC8 80amp version of the Ezrun ESC....as it has a single power lead. same basic specs as the stock aftershock ESC, just setup to run off a single battery.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-ezrun-sc8.html
Old 11-07-2011, 09:57 PM
All-or-Nothing

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will be upgrading the ESC then.