Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

heard lots of bad stuff about Redcat....BUT

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

heard lots of bad stuff about Redcat....BUT

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 11:33 AM
DKnox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: heard lots of bad stuff about Redcat....BUT

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

haole- you'll have no problem finding any parts you need on ebay or online hobby stores. When I'm looking for parts under $5.00 I try to find as much as I can on ebay with free shipping. There is tons of stuff on there. If I'm looking to make multiple part purchases I usually buy from RC Planet. They offer $2.50 shipping so if I'm spending a little more it's worth paying the shipping to get the parts cheaper.

It's really a shame that my local hobby shop doesn't stock Redcat. I've talked to him a few times about it. He's told me how Redcat is just junk and not worth the hassle. What he doesn't understand is I'm not a racer. I like to have fun running around the neighborhood and parks with my son. Redcat is perfect out of the box for this. The hobby shop is a Traxxas dealer. The cheapest nitro anything they sell is around $350.00. At that price range I would have never got involved in the hobby if I had to purchase two cars for $700 to $800 dollars. I've had very minimal problems with the two Redcats I own. Normal wear and tear. I'm not ripping on the pricier cars. They have their place but right now it is not with me. I would like to support the local businesses, I buy replacement and upgrade parts almost weekly. Unfortunately this is done all on the internet since they are not available locally. I wonder how many other dads that have a family budget to keep up with first before RC cars feel the same way?
I'm a dad that is "new again" to the hobby. My first car back is a Redcat Avalanche XP that I bought new from a local Redcat dealer. I completely agree with what your saying about price point and quality versus other brands. The only reason I got back into this is to find something fun that my now 10 year old son and I can do besides Play Station 3. By the time I bought the truck, starter kit, kill switch, fuel, batteries, tools,etc I had already burned through around $500 just to get started. I'm not really on a budget other than common sense so the money isn't an issue. But my common sense say if I had to spend much more than that my son and I would have been looking at a different hobby.

Now I won't insult anyone by saying Redcat is better than anyone else because I really don't know...yet. It's a fairly new brand and I've been away from it for far too long.In fact 10 minutes after we broke the in the Avalanchemotorwe started to thrash it a littleit ended up wrapped around a light pole after a wide open throttle crash. So I can't even speak a bunch about how good Redcats are or aren't.But I will say this, with my past expirience (nearly 20 years ago) I'm VERY happy and impressed with what Redcat offers in speed and performance so far. I didn't get to thrash it a wholebunchso I can't speak to the durability. But I alsodon't think a head on high speed crash into an immovable object is a fair test. With that said I only broke the servo saver, blew out a shock, bent both upper and lower wrist pins, and trashed the upper suspension arm.A new body and 60 bucks in parts and we'll be back on the road. Not bad all things considered.

One last comment, I've been lookingon Craigs list and EBay for used Redcatsor parts donor cars for the Avalanche. There are a bunch of the other brands for sale real cheap. But very few people are getting rid of there Redcats!

My 2 cents worth are only worth a penny but there it is!
Old 12-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: heard lots of bad stuff about Redcat....BUT

I feel the same way, this has been the only thing my son and I can really do together. He's a video game fanatic also but it's been a lot of fun teaching him how to troubleshoot and repair his truck. If it weren't for Redcat though we probably wouldn't be doing it.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:41 AM
krossracing

I will admit that I am a dealer for Redcat Racing first and foremost. Now that we have that out of the way, I wanted to say why we sell only Redcat, and our own custom RC's. . . value. We couldn't find anyone that offered the same value, customer support, and parts availability. It is dissapointing that more hobby shops don't carry parts, but in a way that's more business for us. I have been very pleased with their cars and their support even though I have heard mixed reviews on both here. Bottom line is that redcat makes a product that is comparible to most of the big brands (whether the "enthusiests" you speak of will admit it or not).
Old 06-07-2015, 06:38 AM
Bob Jablonski

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by krossracing
I will admit that I am a dealer for Redcat Racing first and foremost. Now that we have that out of the way, I wanted to say why we sell only Redcat, and our own custom RC's. . . value. We couldn't find anyone that offered the same value, customer support, and parts availability. It is dissapointing that more hobby shops don't carry parts, but in a way that's more business for us. I have been very pleased with their cars and their support even though I have heard mixed reviews on both here. Bottom line is that redcat makes a product that is comparible to most of the big brands (whether the "enthusiests" you speak of will admit it or not).
I agree Redcat has come a long way quality wise in the last few years. and with the dock union deal over the backlog on out of stock items are going away.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies.
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]
www.countylinehobbies.com
Like us on Facebook
Old 06-08-2015, 02:42 AM
Guff15

Since this old thread was resurrected I'll add my $.02. ........

I bought a Redcat Backdraft 3.5 a few months ago and right after the engine break in I loved it. Sure I broke a few parts but both were my fault. I did have some issues with Redcat misrepresenting what engine came in the buggy but that was rectified by Billy at Redcat and all is well now.