Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ESC programming

I recently picked up a Caldera 10E. I am running the stock NiMH battery now as I am waiting for Lipo batteries to arrive. I am trying to program my ESC with a Hobby wing controller card. It works pretty easily, but on a couple of parameters I have some questions.

1. On the punch control, it only goes up to 4. It supposedly goes up to a level 9. Is this because I am only running the NiMH battery? Does the ESC detect that?

2. I can't get it to menu #12 (it only goes up to 11 and then restarts at 1) to set the lipo to automatic detection. Again is this because I am only running the NiMH battery currently?

On a separate issue, there are times when I don't seem to get any throttle response. It seems that it occurs most often when the battery is running low, however the steering works just fine. Is this normal. Do I need to calibrate the radio and the receiver? Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: ESC programming

ORIGINAL: jbain2

I recently picked up a Caldera 10E. I am running the stock NiMH battery now as I am waiting for Lipo batteries to arrive. I am trying to program my ESC with a Hobby wing controller card. It works pretty easily, but on a couple of parameters I have some questions.

1. On the punch control, it only goes up to 4. It supposedly goes up to a level 9. Is this because I am only running the NiMH battery? Does the ESC detect that?Â*Â*

2. I can't get it to menu #12 (it only goes up to 11 and then restarts at 1) to set the lipo to automatic detection. Again is this because I am only running the NiMH battery currently?Â*

On a separate issue, there are times when I don't seem to get any throttle response. It seems that it occurs most often when the battery is running low, however the steering works just fine. Is this normal. Do I need to calibrate the radio and the receiver? Thanks.Â*
    not sure on the punch control setting. it should go higher i believe. but i set mine on 4. If you set it high, it will just cause stripped spurs and diffs.

As far as menu #12, the same card is used for more than one ezrun ESC. Thus, the #12 is for other ESC.

Im assuming the ESC is in Lipo mode. Thus, when your nimh pack gets low, the esc cuts power to the motor.
    If you take it out of lipo mode, it will continue to run till there is no juice left in the battery.
    But since you will be getting lipos anyway, best to leave it in lipo mode.
    You will actually notice a 50% drop in speed when your lipos hit low voltage, then not long after you will have only steering and no throttle.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Idon't have a Lipo mode, but have set the battery cutoff to be 3.2V. Iheard though that the NiMHbatteries are best if run until completely discharged?Is that in fact true? Hopefully Ican get my Lipo's up and running shortly.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jbain2

IÂ*don't have a Lipo mode, but have set the battery cutoff to be 3.2V. IÂ*heard though that the NiMHÂ*batteries are best if run until completely discharged?Â*Is that in fact true? Hopefully IÂ*can get my Lipo's up and running shortly.
    battery cutoff is what i meant by lipo mode.
    Today's nimh batteries dont have the memory effect the used to. older nimh packs needed to be run all the way down and then charged, other wise they would lose runtime each time they were used.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great! Thanks. Sounds like Ihave the settings where they should be.