Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Shockwave turns off on full throttle

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Shockwave turns off on full throttle

Old 12-31-2011, 02:43 PM
y2kcurt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shockwave turns off on full throttle

New to RC cars and new to RedCat Shockwave. Set the gear mesh, tuned it (best I knew how), set the appropropriate carb setting (1mm), figured out charging/testing glow plugs, and broke in the engine per manufacturers recommendations, etc (most of it by trial/error)...however the one last thing that I cant seem to figure out is why when I run it at full throttle the engine dies on me? Engine stays running on full break and everything inbetween a full throttle, but once I max it out, it dies on me. I am sure it is an easy adjustment, but not exactly sure what to adjust.

Thanks in advance for your help

Signed, total noob
Old 12-31-2011, 03:14 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Shockwave turns off on full throttle

sounds like you may need to adjust the high-speed needle. it may be rich, or may be lean.

is it easy to restart when it dies?

If the motor idles well, and has good low-end power then the idle gap and low speed needle are set pretty good.

It can also be a bad glow plug. sometimes they will still light up when you test them, but not give enough heat to run 100%

but 1st try tuning the high speed. make small adjustments, and remember where you started.

after you make an adjustment, do 2 or 3 high speed passes.

also, when you hit full throttle...just before the motor dies...is there a good trail of smoke coming from the exhaust? If not, then the motor is lean and you need to richen up the high speed(turn counter-clockwise)
Old 01-01-2012, 07:02 PM
runner1514

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shockwave turns off on full throttle

When the engine dies at full throttle it is usually because the engine is too lean. Try turning the high speed needle counter-clockwise a bit. Keep in mind that the engine will run leaner as the gas in the tank decreases. You should be able to tell the difference when you have about 1/4 of a tank left. So if you make adjustments when the tank of nitro is between half and full and you find a good setting, you might find yourself running too lean towards the end of the tank.