Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Sumo Truggy for Christmas

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 10:21 AM
SteveRJR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sumo Truggy for Christmas

My son got a Redcat racing 1:24 Sumo Truggy for Christmas this year. The thing is pretty awesome and fun to use however we have been having some trouble with it. First off the front steering hub broke less than an hour after we got it up and running. I was able to order up some replacement parts for about $10. A few days later we were back in action. With the new steering hub we were able to make it through the first charge on the batteries. About a half hour after putting in the fresh batteries the car started making a horrible snapping noise when it was driving. I dug into the rear differential area of the car and found a gear with a broken tooth. I am looking at another $10 bill and 3-4 days of waiting to get it up and running again.
This is creating a dilema in my mind. I would like my son to not have such a bad introduction to RC's as you can imagine he is pretty dissapointed. We will have about half of what a new car is worth in parts ordered after about 2 hours of operation. Is this just the way it is with RCs? Do I need to just keep buying parts until I have a toolbox full of spares? Are we doing something wrong? I know it would be better running the car outside instead of in the house but we have a pretty good amount of area to run it and it was marketed as being an indoor/ outdoor RC. Is anyone else having similar issues?

Let me know what you think
-Steve
Old 01-01-2012, 10:40 AM
ShredderGuy

Default RE: Sumo Truggy for Christmas

The hubs are a known issue with the Sumo's. The gears on the other hand I have not heard much about those failing. To keep the hubs from bearking you basically just do not want to run directly into anything. I have had my sumo for about 3 months, it is great fun. I say stick with it and your son will love it to.

Here are some upgrades I consider must haves.

Bearing KitThat will help your truck run much much smoother.

2200 MAH Rechargeable AA batteriesFor added run time and speed.

180 Can Motor.That will add a nice gain in power and performance to your truck.

Motor Heat SinkThis will keep the temps down on your new found power.

Add those items and I think you will have a nice fun solid truck that is ready for the outdoor/indoor adventures you want your sun to enjoy.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing happen to one of our Sumo's by Christmas afternoon.  For no apparent reason the rear diff ring gear chipped a tooth.  Not a big deal but a little disappointing.  Still thought the cars have been great over all.  No other issues.  They've been driven off cardboard jumps in the house, demolition derby with each other, and outside through the grass and jumping off curbs.  I would recommend them.  As far as the repair side of this hobby goes, I'd have to say yes.  You fix them more than you drive them.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:52 PM
SteveRJR

Thanks for the replies!

It makes me feel much better about ordering up parts for this RC again. Hopefully this time the Truggy will live a long and healthy life.

@ ShredderGuy Is the bearing kit for the wheel and the drivetrain?

Old 01-03-2012, 08:29 AM
bobsco

@SteveRJR
                 I bought two Sumo trucks for me and my son and we have a blast with them.  I did have to replace the hub on mine after a few weeks.  I haven't had any gear issues yet.  I did upgrade them with a bigger motor, aluminum shocks and a motor heat sink.  They fly now and they're alot of fun.  I also have an Earthquake 8E but that's my big boy toy.  Hope you enjoy your Sumo.