Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Tornado BB spur gear issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 02:13 PM
ezkilla6596

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tornado BB spur gear issues

hi, i own a red cat tornado bb. everything on it is stock, except i upgraded to a starter plate instead of a pullcord. the machine runs awsome, i just have a major issue of stripping the plastic first gear spur gear. i've been through 6 in two days. i know this is a common issue, but i was wondering what the best fix is? i was also wondering if there are any compatible transmissions with metal spur gears? idc if it's a single or a double speed, i'm not very concerned about the top end speed. i have looked all over the web and i can't find a single compatible metal gear. can anyone help me, or even get me in the right direction? it'd be much apreciated..
Old 01-07-2012, 04:13 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Tornado BB spur gear issues

6 spurs in a row....

I know that plastic spurs can strip from time to time, but Id bet you have something else going on as well. Maybe a bad bearing in the center trans, or your motor mount screws are not holding the motor in tight.

but it is possible to use the shockwave single speed in the tornado.

You might find the info if you do a search in the redcat forum. I know its been mentioned before what parts are needed.

but id check over the other parts 1st, as something else must be contributing to the spur gears failing like that.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:01 PM
ezkilla6596

thanks. i'll try checking all the mount screws next time. maybe i'll upgrade the screws and get ones with small washers. & i was considering getting a shockwave single speed trans actually,  but i was concerned that i would keep having the same issue being that it's also a plastic gear?
Old 01-07-2012, 06:17 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: ezkilla6596

thanks. i'll try checking all the mount screws next time. maybe i'll upgrade the screws and get ones with small washers. & i was considering getting a shockwave single speed trans actually, but i was concerned that i would keep having the same issue being that it's also a plastic gear?
yeh, id check those screws or replace them....
and id check the ball bearings in the tranny...
and i think there is a ball bearing in the clutch bell.
if any bearing in that area is bad, the play will cause the gear mesh to be off and will cause the spurs to strip easy.
I have never heard of anyone stripping that many spurs....ever. sure, plastic spurs strip from time to time but i cant imagine that there isnt some other factor that is causing the problem.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:32 PM
ezkilla6596

hey thanks. i'll be sure to check up on those bearings. i never woulda thought to check those.

yeah, this was just recently as well. i had put the car away for a few months but last time i had it running, i probably went through 30+ before i just got sick of it. it's been costing too much.

i was also thinking, if i had some steel or aluminum gears milled out, precise copies of the original plastic ones, would that help the problem? or do you think it would cause added complications.. it would be easy for me, since i have many close family members who work metal, so i could get it done for free, i'm just wondering if it's worth asking someone for the favor.

thanks.