Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Tricks and Tips to keep your Redcats running!

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Tricks and Tips to keep your Redcats running!

Old 01-05-2012, 08:31 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tricks and Tips to keep your Redcats running!

Ive been running Redcats for awhile now. I like them. But I have also been in the hobby for ahwile and now how to figure out what may be wrong with a model and how to fix...or rig it to work till i can order new parts.

And I know some simple things to do to make a model more durable.

Since many new to the hobby purchase a redcat (cause the cost is lower) many run into a wall when issues come up.

So I though it would start a thread, where tips and tricks could be shared.

1st: Check all screws. Look for any excessive play in the wheels.

camber and steering linkage: Move them to the hole closest to the hub. The further out the linkage is placed, the more likely the hub arm is to break.

Bodies: They will break. Doesnt matter the brand or make, all bodies break at some point. Simple things like covering the inside with duct tape (or better yet, gorrila tape) can help. Also, if you put a thin washer over the body post...this will spread the load of an impact over a larger area of the body.

Dogbones: Many models have some play with the dogbones...more than is needed. small pieces of nitro fuel tubing in the drive cups allow the dogbones to move some, but not so much that they wear out quickly.

Along with that, is dogbone angle. If you raise you suspension up as high as it can go...the dogbones are at a greater angle and thus more likely to bind or rub against the edge of the drive cups, thus causing more wear. Not saying you should drop the suspension all the way down, but in the middle is best.

Jumping: Do not have the throttle pegged when your model lands! Whether its a nitro or electric, this will cause drivetrain damage...usually spur gear or diff gears. sometimes a dogbone can snap from a bad landing with the throttle on.

Water: Well its a bad thing with any redcat, as none are waterproof. The 2.4ghz reciever in particular HATES to get wet. But accidents can happen....so wrap your reciever in a ballon, or use tape or something else to prevent water from getting to it, should you run threw a puddle you didnt see

Keep it clean: Kinda speaks for itself. Think to check around the inside of the wheels if you went threw any tall grass as it can get caught up between the hub and wheel. that will cause drag.
For nitros this is tougher, as dirt likes to stick to the parts. Use and old tooth brush, get that dirt away.

Keep fresh AA's: Dont ignore that blinking light on your radio....and keep in mind how long you have run with the same "AA"s on your nitro's reciever pack. Dont want those to die on you.

When you go out to play: Take basic tools. A wheel wrench, screwdriver, pliers and zipties can save the day and keep the fun going!

Dont be cheap When buying tools: Should you decide to buy some RC tools, dont go cheap. If your tool is cheap, it will be far more likely to strip out the head of your screw. Thats a headache you dont want!

Dont let your buddy drive your model: Unless you are certain he would pay for any damage he may cause.....

Dont get frustrated: Hey, it happens to long-time RC'ers. Dang nitro wont start, or why wont my ESC calibrate. Dont rush to find a solution, this will often cause mistakes! Making large adjustments to your nitro's needle settings cause it wont start....when it could just be a bad glow plug, or an igniter that needs to be recharged! Cool down, and take the time to look things over 1st.
For me, I know frustration has caused me to snap a pull cord! If only I had taken the time to check my igniter[:@]

Keep organized: I personally fail at this. Keeping parts, tools, your model and any accesories in a safe place that is organized will save you a ton of time and help to keep your model up and running.

Find the manual: Most models come with a manual. Sometimes these dont show us everything we need to know. But a google search can ofter find an online manual or exploded view that will show just what you need.

Upgrading: Dont assume that all upgrades are good. Sometimes plastic is better in some areas than alloy is. Think about what the function of the part is, and what kind of loads are put on that part.
Do reseach before dropping money on batteries, motors, alloy parts ect.
Personally, I perfer to use stronger plastics in most places...but shock towers and wheel hubs are often good places for alloy upgrades.

Visit your local hardware store: This may sound funny, but I dont know how many times I was able to find a screw, bolt or pin at my hardware store that could patch up my model. And often these parts may be higher grade steel than the original was.

Dont get shocked: I have seen some young people put on connectors with electrical tape, and then not do a good job at that. Almost any ESC will fry if it gets reversed voltage(wires crossed) from a battery. Its always best to put on new connectors with solder. Its not an easy thing for some to learn, but most any hobby shop will help you learn or do it for you.
And if you find a servo or ESC wire has a nick in it, then cover it up with electrical tape. Dont leave it so that it can get wet or touch another wire.

Dont leave batts: NIMH batteries dont like to be left in the cold. Nor do they like to go months without being charged. Lipo batts dont suffer from these things, but thats a whole nother lesson. So, keep your nimh batts in a warm place and fully charged.

Use youtube: Wanna know how to program your ESC, radio or how to replace the spur or diff....chances are you can find a video of someone showing you how! And when people find a cool mod that improves a model, they will often post on utube.

Bumpers: Often ignored but very important. nearly every model there is an aftermarket bumper for. Sometimes the after market ones are wider and thicker...to provide more protection. T-bone racing makes bumper for several redcat models.

Alloy parts: Sometimes they may bend. Its often possible to bend them back, but keep in mind that doing so weakens the part further. So go ahead and order a replacement, dont assume the part you just bent back will last a long time.

Bearings: A very important part of any model! They do wear out, or rust if they get wet. When this happens, the parts they support will suffer as well.
If you have excessive tire wobble, or your center driveshaft or spur gear wiggles about...a bad bearing could be to blame. Replace it before the wiggling and wabbling result in damage to other parts.

Wiring: Keep it neat. zip ties, tape or whatever you want to use, but keep wires so that they do not flop about when the model is running. servo and esc wires are often longer than needed, and if the extra is allow to move about alot, they could snag something and get damaged.

Thats all I could think of right now.

Add any other tips...even if they apply to a specific model.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:43 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Default RE: Tricks and Tips to keep your Redcats running!

some resourses:

EZrun 35a manual : http://site.hobbypartz.com/hobbywing/HW-13-V2.pdf

How to shim a diff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukkfjJXFUhQ

2.4 radio guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juRAZmfhQuc

How to control model when jumping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_OIm0NsRrY

Guide showing how to rebuild a shock: shows a traxxas shock, but all shocks are basically the same: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8wEY2o_cwM
Old 01-05-2012, 09:52 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Zip ties can be very useful when bashing.

Ever lose a screw that holds you shock to the a-arm or shock tower? I have, and used a small ziptie to hold the shock in place! Just put the zip tie thres the shock's hole and the hole on the tower or a-arm. Doesnt look pretty, but kept me running for the day.

Ever remove a tire...and have the hex's drive pin fall out and get lost[:@]
Most body clips can be cut using a pair of wire cutters...down to the right lenght to be used as a drive pin.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:38 AM
kelynsdad1023

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good advice !!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 09:53 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: kelynsdad1023

good advice !!!!
thanx. ill keep the tips coming as a think of them. I dont know how many times I have been out bashing, and managed to repair a model in odd and interesting ways with the bits I had on hand.

Example: say you loose a screw from your model (falls out and gets lost) from a shock tower, or a camber link or something like that. Look over the model, as sometimes there is a similar screw that is not vital for the model to run....just take it out and use it. Just remember what you did when you get home so you can replace the screw you "borrowed".
In my case, i once took a screw that holds the spur gear cover on my volcano out to use on the rear camber link. the spur gear cover has more screws than it needs, and running it minus 1 screw there wont hurt anything. This let me put the camber link back on and continue running for the day.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:55 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Ever strip the hex shapped part inside your rim? No need to throw the wheel away....just super glue the wheel hex to the rim. A bag of wheel hex's is alot cheaper than new rims and tires!
Old 01-06-2012, 10:43 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post should be alot of help to the new guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 11:10 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

If you redcat model has the dsm 2.4ghz radio...and the model has suddenly lost steering or driving function, then try re-binding the radio the the reciever.

for some reason, they sometimes get so that they dont recieve the full signal, and re-binding them fixes that.

If your ezrun ESC has your truck moving when you dont have your finger on the throttle, its often as simple as the throttle trim on the radio needing adjustment.
If that doesnt fix the issue, then re-calibrating the esc to the radio will.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:43 PM
lakesrunner

I have the volcano S30. Something I found is that my battery pack inside my receiver box would cause the on-off switch housing to break after a hard roll or jump. I use a piece of styrofoam and mold it between the two to prevent any breakage.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:54 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: lakesrunner

I have the volcano S30. Something I found is that my battery pack inside my receiver box would cause the on-off switch housing to break after a hard roll or jump. I use a piece of styrofoam and mold it between the two to prevent any breakage.
Nice tip!
Lets get as many tips like this as we can posted there!
Old 01-06-2012, 01:59 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I like to put a strip of velco on my batts, lipo or nimh. It helps them not move around in battery trays and also provides a tad of cushion (use the soft side of the velcro)
Old 01-07-2012, 01:55 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ezrun 35amp ESC calibration. Same process for the 80amp ESC, except the button is next the to the on/off switch on the 80amp.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OkwkziFWE8[/youtube]
Old 02-10-2012, 04:19 PM
lakesrunner

It is Winter here so I haven't been out at all running mine, but I'm getting antsy. One other tip that is common is paint the dogbones a bright color so when you have a wicked tumble or landing you'll be able to see them easily. Colors I use are a hunter's orange, in the fall around here when there are brown leaves all over the place a bright lime green can help. I have found a lost front dogbone a month after losing it, so possibly the paint also prevents rust lol.
The following users liked this post:
RCRFan29 (06-19-2020)
Old 02-10-2012, 05:34 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: lakesrunner

It is Winter here so I haven't been out at all running mine, but I'm getting antsy. One other tip that is common is paint the dogbones a bright color so when you have a wicked tumble or landing you'll be able to see them easily. Colors I use are a hunter's orange, in the fall around here when there are brown leaves all over the place a bright lime green can help. I have found a lost front dogbone a month after losing it, so possibly the paint also prevents rust lol.
wow, thats a neat tip.
I hadnt heard of that before.

same could go for wheel nuts. those are hard to find if they come off!

I run in the winter, just wrap with saran wrap, or ballons. If the snow it crusty, then I just put some tape over the ESC and Rx.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:03 PM
Keldar

This thread really should be "stickied" to the top. Good info here.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:20 PM
mikejd

Hey Guys thanks for the info. I wish I had something to share. Give me some time.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Dads like rc too

For you nitro guys...I always wrap my servo batteries with a rubber band. A loose battery will cause a runaway, even with a fail safe. Remember, your fail safe needs power to operate, loose a battery after a jump and get ready to start chasing your car.

A carb return spring does wonders when your fail safe fails, try and rig one up out of a small spring.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:56 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

For you nitro guys...I always wrap my servo batteries with a rubber band. A loose battery will cause a runaway, even with a fail safe. Remember, your fail safe needs power to operate, loose a battery after a jump and get ready to start chasing your car.

A carb return spring does wonders when your fail safe fails, try and rig one up out of a small spring.
good one. Keep fresh "AA"s in your reciever pack as well!
Old 09-22-2012, 01:45 PM
AmazingRCstore

This is GREAT information.
So useful and well explained.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:18 PM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

This is tremendous advice! Regarding the carb spring,my only trepidationis I'm concerned with losingpunch. I'm sure there is a way to master it so that the throttle timing is negligible. A post/video on carb springs would be a wonderful thing. ;-)