Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Avalanche xte or hurricane xte or backdraft 8e?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Avalanche xte or hurricane xte or backdraft 8e?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 09:13 AM
wildbills rc
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avalanche xte or hurricane xte or backdraft 8e?

I currently own a caldera on lipo (my first rc) and I have the fever. Can't decide if I should get another truck in the badass looking and upgraded avalanche xte or get a buggy. I love bashing in the street and at the park by my house. But also there are 2 brand new outdoor tracks opening 5 min from my house next month and I'm sure the buggy will be better for that. I'm new to this rc game and just learning as much as I can.

I have however had a few small issues with my caldera and am also considering spending the extra money on a traxxss emaxx or hpi savage flux hp and buggy wise maybe the hpi vorza. Please give me your honest thoughts.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:37 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Avalanche xte or hurricane xte or backdraft 8e?

while i am a fan of redcat's, the savage flux HP is one mean truck. Granted, its still needs some upgrades...stronger diff gears and thicker TVPs but its still prett tough out of the box.
But then, with RC u usually get what you pay for. with the flux you gotta drop alot fo $$$ just for the truck, then buy lipos on top of that.

the avalanche XTE may not be a race buggy, but Id bet it would still be fun to drive on a track.

I can say that the XTR and XTE line is much tougher than the caldera and 3.5/8e line. They are bigger, heavier and use thicker parts.

If it were my money, id get.........well im not sure. the xte is pretty tempting. but so is a flux. guess it depends what you want to do the most, as the flux is a monster truck and the avalanche is more of a 1/8 racing platform with huge tires put on it.
so the flux may be better for pure, offroad bashing and thrashing...where the avalanche can still do a good bit of that but also perform better on a track.

a tough choice indeed!
Old 01-06-2012, 10:13 AM
wildbills rc

I can get the avalanvhe for 380$ With lipos... The savage flux is 600 plus 200 in lipos. I could have the avalanche and hurricane for that. Lol. I just hope these redcats are tough and only cheaper because they are a newer company. I wouldn't mind spending the extra money on the traxxas or hpi if they really are better quality
Old 01-06-2012, 10:41 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: wildbills rc

I can get the avalanvhe for 380$ With lipos... The savage flux is 600 plus 200 in lipos. I could have the avalanche and hurricane for that. Lol. I just hope these redcats are tough and only cheaper because they are a newer company. I wouldn't mind spending the extra money on the traxxas or hpi if they really are better quality
If you read around, the stock servo on the XTE leaves alittle to be desired. but a good metal geared servo can be bought for under $40.

the ESC/motor in the XTE has alittle less amps than the flux, but same voltage.

As far as the drivetrain, id say they are equal.

same for the over-all chassis.

I though the flux HP was more like $500 now?

It does sound like you could get the XTE, and a bunch of upgrades for the caldera for the money of the flux.

I like redcats, and im a dealer. But at the same time, I own other brands.

Nothing wrong with having some diversity in your RC garage. But you will find that any brand/model will have its weak points. Especially when they can go 40+mph!

Ask any hobby shop owner....they make more money on parts then on the models!
Old 01-06-2012, 11:07 AM
wildbills rc

if you can find the flux hp for 500 let me know asap! Cheapest I can find is a tad over 600. And the cheapest for emaxx is 598. So avalanche or hurricane?
Old 01-06-2012, 11:24 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

if you can find the flux hp for 500 let me know asap! Cheapest I can find is a tad over 600. And the cheapest for emaxx is 598. So avalanche or hurricane?
the buggy with its smaller tires will take less damage when it flips or rolls. larger tires put more strain on parts.

but larger tires means you can go more places.

i could swear the HP version was $500....but that was awhile ago, and i know that brushless motors and other parts when up in price a few months back.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:57 PM
kelynsdad1023

well I just ordered the Monsoon XTR through URC should be here next Wednesday looking forward to it.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:05 PM
wildbills rc

find it for me
Old 01-06-2012, 04:10 PM
wildbills rc

well ****. I wonder if the monsoon would be best of both worlds for me then? Better on track then the avalanche but has bigger tires then the hurricane for the outdoor bashing. hmmm
Old 01-06-2012, 05:54 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

well ****. I wonder if the monsoon would be best of both worlds for me then? Better on track then the avalanche but has bigger tires then the hurricane for the outdoor bashing. hmmm
i had a simillar thought. tho the tires are almost as wide as the avalanche's they have stiffer sidewalls and shouldnt ballon as much. thus, they shouldnt put as much stress on parts as the avalanche's. but they will provide more traction than the buggy.

If i had the money, it would come down to looks. I dont persoanlly care for the truggy look. and i do more bashing than anything else....so id get the avalanche.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:11 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tower had a $70 discount so that'd make it $570, that's as cheap as I've seen it. I just ordered me a Vorza Flux HP... That price is with the radio, 2.4 one.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:03 AM
Stryker48

I realize this is an old post however any information surrounding these RedCat models is always welcomed and appreciated.
I couldn't agree with you more regarding having some diversity in your RC garage

Every brand & model has it's place in the market (there's room for everyone!) and I'm also one of those people who have nothing against Redcats and HSP's etc (a brand ***** I am not! ...however price conscious I certainly am
In fact I picked up a 'spanking' new RedCat Hurricane XTE yesterday with included dual lipos for $340 CAD ($270 USD) so I couldn't be more thrilled!!

While there are undoubtedly better buggies out there, I have never disputed that, for the price I paid, the Hurricane XTE suits my purpose perfectly.

As far as I'm concerned every new model purchased, regardless of brand and/or cost, should be thoroughly checked over and make sure every part is where it should be, all screws and nuts are properly tightened (careful not to strip anything) before taking it for a test run. Any faults should be immediately reported to the place of purchase before proceeding to avoid disappointment.
No model/manufacturer is immune from having issues fresh off the assembly line in China. (what's not made in China these days? )

If you really look after your vehicles, treat them with respect, clean and inspect them throughly after each use, there is no reason you shouldn't get good use out of them.
faster speeds and big jumps puts an enormous amount of stress on your model and electronics and WILL undoubtedly result in failure of some kind, it's inevitable! "Go Fast and fly Big by all means, ... as long as you are willing to PAY the price! ... and you WILL , at some point.

If you are not willing to invest the time and money in keeping your RC car in tip top condition at all times, you will inevitably come out disappointed and land up with a dust collecting 'shelf queen', regardless of what model you might have.

If you're looking for that illusive 'indestructable' vehicle ..... it does NOT exist! ..... only on a simulator

If driving is your only thrill & staisfaction and you honestly don't like to tinker and/or spend a little time and money on your vehicles keeping them clean and in tip top shape at all times, perhaps this is the wrong hobby for you. That's not a bad thing! (not everybody is a 'mechanic' at heart) .... this hobby is not for everyone as much as some would like to think it is, albeit with unrealistic expectations.

Newcomers to the hobby are most at risk at falling into the trap of unrealistic expectations and cost involved to stay in this wonderful hobby albeit for just bashing and/or competition.

Tires, fuel, batteries, chargers, upgrades, spares ...the list goes on and on

Last edited by Stryker48; 02-23-2015 at 11:22 AM.