Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

New Avalanche XTR - Servo too weak?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

New Avalanche XTR - Servo too weak?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 10:40 PM
bur01014

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Avalanche XTR - Servo too weak?

Just picked up the new avalance XTR....so far Iam pleased except for the steering servo....it seems the servo doesn't have enough power to turn the big wheels when the truck sits still. I have been able to start the break-in process but need a huge parking lot because the steering servo can barely turn the wheels....something has to be up with the steering servo....or it is extremely underpowered for the big truck tires? What can Ido to tinker with this? Is there something too tight? Is my servo bad? Appreciate any info....I would consider myself not a "beginner" or "expert" but an "experienced basher".....I've own a couple stadium trucks and a Revo....but had never had problems with steer servos not having enough umph to turn the darn wheels.....

Thanks all....
Old 12-27-2011, 06:18 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: New Avalanche XTR - Servo too weak?

Far too many RTR monster trucks are sold with underpowered servos IMO. The original emaxx needed to move 2 feet before the servo could turn the wheels...lol.

but it does sound like there may be some binding on your truck. It doesnt shock me that the wheels hardly turn with the truck is sitting, but once it moves the wheels should turn quickly.

It could be the screw that holds the plate over the servo saver....or the bolt that adjusts the servo saver.

I took the exploded view off redcats site and highlighted the servo saver.

Should you want to upgrade, www.hobbypartz.com has some nice metal geared high torque servos for under $20!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10198.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	1705396  
Old 12-27-2011, 06:25 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

OH, the be more specific....
the nut on top of the servo saver....the one that adjusts it, its more likely that its too loose. So your servo is fine, but the servo saver moves without moving the steering links much.
I had this happen with my earthquake 8e. The wheels wouldnt turn much with it sitting, and the steering responce when it was moving was VERY sloppy. I tightened that bolt up and it was like a whole new truck...lol

So watch your servo arm with the truck sitting still, does it move MORE than the wheels? If so, its probly a loose servo saver adjustment.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:36 PM
bur01014

Thank you for the feedback....I have been traveling today so Ihaven't been able to check it out....Ihope you are correct about this issue....Iknow most RTR servos are crap, but something must be up because even while moving the truck, it won't turn unless Ifloor it then the weight is lifted up and the truck begins to turn.....Iwill see if Ican get to the steering servo in the next day or so and will report back....again, thanks for your response!

On a side note....for the 2nd and 3rd tank breaking it in, it was turning fine (for a RTR), but on my 4th tank this is when i noticed it getting weak...so Ipopped in new batteries and it turned good again for a couple runs, but now won't turn again....hopefully some minor adjustes on this "servo saver" will do it!

Old 12-27-2011, 08:03 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: bur01014

Thank you for the feedback....I have been traveling today so I haven't been able to check it out....I hope you are correct about this issue....I know most RTR servos are crap, but something must be up because even while moving the truck, it won't turn unless I floor it then the weight is lifted up and the truck begins to turn.....I will see if I can get to the steering servo in the next day or so and will report back....again, thanks for your response!

On a side note....for the 2nd and 3rd tank breaking it in, it was turning fine (for a RTR), but on my 4th tank this is when i noticed it getting weak...so I popped in new batteries and it turned good again for a couple runs, but now won't turn again....hopefully some minor adjustes on this ''servo saver'' will do it!

ah, well if it was turning good for the 1st few tanks then it may just be a bad servo that needs to be replaced. Do check the servo saver 1st tho.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Dragonii

The steering servo on the original was too weak also.
I bought a pretty good one off of ebay that has held up well... after burning out three stock servos.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:32 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

oh, 1 other thing to check...
the steering rate adjustment on the radio! Its the nob on the left. If its turned down low, you can turn the wheel on the radio all the way and the servo on the truck will hardly turn at all.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:27 PM
bur01014

Well, I checked out the servo saver and everything was tight and snug. Again, with the front end lifted up the servo turns the wheels just fine and I can see the servo is working properly and cranking the wheels appropriately. However, when it sits on the ground while driving, the servo just can't turn the wheels and gives up....servo just seems too weak. For example, it turns better in grass, but when Idrive it on the street Ican't even get the truck to turn completely around unless I give it full throttle (which takes the weight off the front tires). Iam somewhat dissappointing, as this is a RTR truck and was hoping I could bash it right out of the box without having the upgrade servos.....am Iwrong in wanting to complain to redcat about this? Is there any type of warranty on the servos when they don't function out of the box? What should Ido? Just bite my tongue and go buy another servo?

Thanks...
Old 01-04-2012, 08:26 PM
fahaka

Hey just wanted to add something to this. I have the Avalanche XTE. I’m guessing that the chassis steering setups are the same. I noticed that my truck didn’t turn very tight when I was running it. <o></o>

<o></o>

I changed out the servo with the same type that is in theEarthquake 8E (same ratings). I have run the 8E with the Avalanche wheel and tiresetup. The servo change did nothing to improve the turning. <o></o>

<o></o>

Comparing the two models is night and day. The Avalanche is by far the worst in the tight turn test compared to any other Redcat I have driven, Earthquake XP, Earthquake 8E, Hurricane XP and etc. I don’t know what you are comparing the truck to but the steering in general is not that tight.<o></o>

Old 01-04-2012, 10:58 PM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bur01014

Well, I checked out the servo saver and everything was tight and snug. Again, with the front end lifted up the servo turns the wheels just fine and I can see the servo is working properly and cranking the wheels appropriately. However, when it sits on the ground while driving, the servo just can't turn the wheels and gives up....servo just seems too weak. For example, it turns better in grass, but when Idrive it on the street Ican't even get the truck to turn completely around unless I give it full throttle (which takes the weight off the front tires). Iam somewhat dissappointing, as this is a RTR truck and was hoping I could bash it right out of the box without having the upgrade servos.....am Iwrong in wanting to complain to redcat about this? Is there any type of warranty on the servos when they don't function out of the box? What should Ido? Just bite my tongue and go buy another servo?

Thanks...
The servo saver is going to be tight and snug when he is speaking of loose the spring in the servo svaer is loose you must turn the adjustable nut to tighten down on the spring in the servo saver to alow the wheels to turn the Avalanche will turn great on the street with the stock servo. You will have to adjust the servo saver.

Iam somewhat dissappointing, as this is a RTR truck and was hoping I could bash it right out of the box without having the upgrade servos.... Really no RTR is just RTR and you wont have to upgrade or replace servos or anything I have HPI, team associated, redcat, 1/5scale, 1/8scale and many more RTR and the servos are always the first to go in any kit if not the first its close to the list as the first.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:03 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: fahaka

Hey just wanted to add something to this. I have the Avalanche XTE. I’m guessing that the chassis steering setups are the same. I noticed that my truck didn’t turn very tight when I was running it. <o></o>

<o> </o>

I changed out the servo with the same type that is in theEarthquake 8E (same ratings). I have run the 8E with the Avalanche wheel and tiresetup. The servo change did nothing to improve the turning. <o></o>

<o> </o>

Comparing the two models is night and day. The Avalanche is by far the worst in the tight turn test compared to any other Redcat I have driven, Earthquake XP, Earthquake 8E, Hurricane XP and etc. I don’t know what you are comparing the truck to but the steering in general is not that tight.<o></o>

just thought i would suggest this, tho you probly have checked it already....the steering rate control on the radio. If its turned down any it will reduce the amount the wheels turn. ist the far right nob on the radio.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:27 AM
bur01014

Thanks for all the comments, but Iam fairly comfortable with nitro vehicles and have messed with all the settings. The problem isn't steering ratios, radius, etc (although its turning radius is poor, Iwould be gratefuljust to have the wheels turn). The servo simply does not have enough strength to turn the wheels. Idon't think anyone is realizing the scope of my problem. For example, the wheels will turn an inch max (even while the truck is rolling), but if Ihelp the wheels along, the servo continues functioning and will turn the wheels the full amount. Literally, Icannot drive the truck out of the box as is because I can't get it to turn around.....RTR, Redcat, or not, thisappears to beunacceptable. One comment basically mentioned Ishouldn't expect much from a RTR, but Iwould at least expect my truck to be able to turn around so Idon't have to turn it by hand when running it......Ididn't buy a Redcat for high quality parts, hence Ihave a Revo, which still runs the stock servo just fine. Idid buy a Redcat with the assumption that the truck could fully turn around on a street 25 feet wide....Either something is binding, perhaps causing tension to act against the servo, or the servo is just crap and isn't strong enough for the truck. Ifear Iam the guiny pig with this truck since it is fairly new and not many seem to own them yet.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:20 PM
spatel

You are correct about not many people owning an Avalanche XTR. I wanted to purchase one for myself for X-Mas and Icould not find any reviews on Google or Youtube because it was so new. Everywhere Iwent, people kept telling me to either get a T-Maxx, Revo, or Savage X. I wanted something different that not "everyone" already had. So Iwent and purchased the Avalanche XTR as that is what Ireally wanted deep down and for the price point it was great.

Someone had mentioned that they were having trouble with the steering servo. I had the same issue but it was user error (my own error). When Ihad the truck sitting on my carpet, kitchen tile, kitchen countertop, the wheels would barely turn when I turned the wheel on the radio. When Ilift the front of the truck up and then turn the wheel on my radio, the wheels turn perfectly. This baffled me as Iam new to RC and nitro. I asked the owner of my local hobby shop and he said this is normal because the truck is not moving and once you drive it you will see that it turns. About the turning radius or it being tight.....well all Ican say is that the tires are extremely massive and huge so it's probably not going to corner too well but Iactually like the overall size of the truck and the tires.

I got the one with the white, green, and black body. This is the body that is not being advertised in most of the pictures that you see on the internet. I purchased some new tires that came with green chrome wheels already glued from Hobbypartz.com to match the truck but when you compare the stock factory tires to the new ones Igot, Iprefer the stock as they are just more bigger and have more "meat" on it so-to-speak. My overall experience with my Avalanche XTR is that Iam very impressed. Ihave not problems with it as of yet. I purchased a different radio for it from Hobbypartz.com for only $34.95 which is the SkyFly FS-GT3B and it is an awesome radio for the price. Binding it was so simple and it has a huge LCD screen with 10 model memory. I also heard that the stock SH .28 engine was not the greatest so I purchased a new engine to replace the stock one. I didn't want to go through the process of breaking in two engines when I already knew that Iwould replace the engine a couple of months from now but I decided to just do everything together while the truck is still new. So after looking at several different engines, I purchased a Dynamite Big Red Mach 2 .28 Big Block engine and it dropped right in. I also took out the stock exhaust pipe and replaced it with a Dynamite 053 Mid-Range exhaust pipe. I had my local hobby shop do the labor for me and break it in which took about a day and a half. Idrove my truck yesterday for the first time after purchasing it and it was wonderful. The engine started up right away after Iprimed it and the Avalanche turned and manuevered really well. It is extremely fast with the new engine. It is an absolute beast and Ilove it. The only problem Ihad was I lost control of the vehicle and the truck drove itself (without my finger on the throttle) right under my parents' Toyota Camry at about a good 35 to 40mph. Three-quarters of the truck went under. Pulled the truck out and then it did it again by itself and went right under my wifes Lexus IS. Blocked the stinger to shut down the engine, pulled it out.....and you know what.......nothing was broken or damaged. Just a little bit of grease on the body (which really is sturdy and strong). This truck is extremely durable and strong.

Took the truck ot my local hobby shop to find out why it got away from me. They solved the problem for me in less than 5 minutes. There was a lot of glitching with the servos and they said this only happens when the batteries are dying. Itold them Ihad gone to Radio Shack the night before and purchased 12 AA rechargable batteries with a 15 minute charger and the batteries are fully charged. They said never use rechargeable batteries. They said go home and take out the batteries and put in a fresh pair of regular batteries and the glitching will stop and you will get a faster response time on your steering and throttle as well. I did just this and it worked. No more glitching. Ialso purchased while Iwas at the hobby shop a Team Orion 6 Volt 1900NiHM rechargeable battery hump to place in my truck instead of using AA batteries. They told me this would be better and I will get better response.

Ihope Ihave made some sense with this post and if Ihaven't then my apologies but as Ihad stated Iam new to the hobby and new to nitro. But Ijust wanted to give my thoughts about the Redcat Avalanche XTR truck. Ithink Imade a great purchase. Loving the truck so far. Ihave a couple of videos already posted on YouTube and Iwill place a couple more of my truck as Iam driving it with the new engine and pipe in a couple of days. Just type in "Redcat Avalanche XTR" in the search box when you are in Youtube and look for a couple of videos by TheProjectManager100. Thanks. Take care everyone.