Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Tornado EPX Pro run times

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 04:07 PM
tjigger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tornado EPX Pro run times

I got my stepson a Tornado EPX Pro for Christmas and only get about 5-6 minutes on the 2000 ni-mh battery before the car starts to cut off (from the low voltage cut off im guessing)

ibought a spare 3800 ni-mh battery thinking it would get a longer run time but it only added about 1 minute and maybe a little more speed.

i tried to reset the ESC but my directions seem to be for a different model (i did not see a green light at anytime)

I have Nitro cars for myself and dont know much about the Li-po and Ni-mh battery's.

i was told by a guy at a local track that the 40cLi-po's would give it better run times but i didnt want to switch to li-po's until my stepson learned how to drive the buggy.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:16 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Tornado EPX Pro run times

ORIGINAL: tjigger

I got my stepson a Tornado EPX Pro for Christmas and only get about 5-6 minutes on the 2000 ni-mh battery before the car starts to cut off (from the low voltage cut off im guessing)

i bought a spare 3800 ni-mh battery thinking it would get a longer run time but it only added about 1 minute and maybe a little more speed.

i tried to reset the ESC but my directions seem to be for a different model (i did not see a green light at anytime)

I have Nitro cars for myself and dont know much about the Li-po and Ni-mh battery's.

i was told by a guy at a local track that the 40c Li-po's would give it better run times but i didnt want to switch to li-po's until my stepson learned how to drive the buggy.
the likely reason you didnt see much of a difference between the 2000mah an dthe 3800mah is that the 3800mah may be a low quality battery.

If you want decent runtimes on a nimh, then you want 5000mah.

Also, it is tricky to program the ezrun esc via the radio. its a real pain. but you can buy a program card for $10 on ebay. It makes setting the ESC way easier.

But, upgrading to lipo is the way to go. You can buy a thunder AC6 charger and a sky lipo 2s 30c 5000mah pack from www.hobbypartz.com for only $75 shipped. That battery will get you 20+ minutes of runtime.

I use them in my volcano EPX Pro.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:51 PM
tjigger

Will the 5000 ni-mh make it run alot faster? He just made 11yr so i wanted to let him get a hang of it before i upgraded to Li-po.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:14 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: tjigger

Will the 5000 ni-mh make it run alot faster? He just made 11yr so i wanted to let him get a hang of it before i upgraded to Li-po.
7.2v nimh 5000mah wont run any faster than the stock or your 3800mah....just let it run longer per charge.

a lipo will increase the power and speed....as would a 8.4vnimh pack.

Redcat has a 7.2v 5000mah pack...comes with the same red 4.0mm plugs that the tornado's ESC has.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:25 PM
tjigger

ok.. thanks
Old 01-12-2012, 01:27 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The run times you are getting are normal for the stock battery. The 3800 most Likely needs to be cycled a few times to wake up. This is very common with NiMh packs. If you want longer run times you need to increase the mah rating of your battery. Personally I would go straight to LiPo. You'll get an increase in power and a major increase in run time. You need to understand that lipo cut offs kick in the moment the voltage drops below a certain point. NiMh perform poorly under load and cause the low voltage cut offs to kick in way too early.

Get yourself a decent 5200 mah 2S lipo and you'll be much happier with the car.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:03 PM
316duke

Get a couple of the Gens Ace 5000 NiMh batts awsome battery for the price The Thunder AC6 is also really nice at a great price cycle at your new NiMh batts a few times before use and theyll have more power and longer runtime
Old 01-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand why such short run times.  Tjigger you said your only getting 5-6 minutes on the original battery and only 1 more minute on a 3800.  My son has a Caldera 10e and he still has the stock 7.2v 3800 battery which runs a solid 20 minutes.  We just recently started using 8.4v batteries which added a noticeable difference in speed and added about 5 more minutes to the run time.  Is there something else going on here?
Old 01-13-2012, 02:19 PM
westoakmech

I also bought my son the tornado for x-mas. The lipo low voltage turned on. I used the program card and shut it off. It also came back on by itself and I had to shut it off again. He gets between 15 to 20 minutes run time on the battery that came with the car.