Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Newbie getting started

Old 01-15-2012, 11:36 AM
scoobydo270

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie getting started

OK. I'm a newbie. Ijust got started and Icurrently have an S30 Volcano. Iam having great difficulty getting this started for the first time. I'm sure I'm not the first to post this, but I'm just trying to see if there is something that Iam missing. My ignitor is fully charged. Iprime the engine and put a few drops in the carb. Then Itry starting and Iget nothing. Are there any tips or anything that Iam missing? Help would be appreciated.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Newbie getting started

Check your glow plug. Remove it and plug in into your ignitor, carefull...don't burn your fingers. Hold it with a pair of needle nose pliers on the side and plug it in. You should see it glow bright red.
If the plug is good make sure you are primed, if there's no fuel in the engine it's never going to start. If there is no fuel, check your fuel line. Remove it and blow thru it to make sure.
Make sure your carb gap is cracked open just about 1mm. Remove the airfilter and look in the barrel. You should see just a tiny opening.
Also make sure the problem is not that your flooded. If your having to pull very hard and hold the car down when pulling then the engine is flooded. Remove the glow plug and fuel line and keep pulling until all the fuel sprays out of the head,
If all of these things are good it may come down to your high speed needle being just a bit too rich. Turn it clockwise about 1/8 of a turn and try starting it.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:36 PM
ShredderGuy

Do all the above mentioned and also take a hair dryer to it and pre-warm the motor. It will be easier to pull and will start quicker.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:16 PM
scoobydo270

Thanks for the help. Iwas actually able to get it started and did the break in. After breaking it in, now Iam unable to get it started again. When I was breaking it in, Ihad to adjust the LSN several times because it was too rich. Now I'm wondering if Ishould try to lean it out some more just to get it to start.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:05 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: scoobydo270

Thanks for the help. I was actually able to get it started and did the break in. After breaking it in, now I am unable to get it started again. When I was breaking it in, I had to adjust the LSN several times because it was too rich. Now I'm wondering if I should try to lean it out some more just to get it to start.
during breakin, the high speed needle should be adjusted, not the low speed. that should only be adjusted towards the very end of breakin.

Also, as the low and high speed needles are adjusted, the idle set screw may require adjustment.

A model will usually start as long as the high speed and idle set screw are within tolerance. the low speed doesnt effect the ability to start much.

dont go leaning out either needle to much, remember that a rich motor will run safely(tho sluggish) but a lean motor will overheat and become damaged.

how much have you adjusted the high speed?

also, dont forget that if the temps outside are 15-20 degrees different from the last time you ran it, it will require some tuning to run right.