Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

caldera 10e up grade motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 05:26 PM
triumph 67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default caldera 10e up grade motor

i got a extra caldera truck to play with and got a 100amp esc whats the biggest motor i can run in this truck just whant to make this thing shred.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:46 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: caldera 10e up grade motor

any 540 size can motor will fit.

You would have to modify the chassis some to fit a 550 size can motor.

If you want to be able to use the stock pinion(which I would) then you want a 540 size motor with 3mm shaft.

The traxxas VXL motor has a bit more RPMs and more torque than the stock motor and will bolt right in. I have installed that motor on a volcano.

Is the ESC rated for 3 or 4s?
Old 01-19-2012, 09:36 AM
triumph 67

hobby king 100a for brushless setup
Old 01-19-2012, 10:15 AM
jbain2

Which VXL system are you referring to? Also, I noticed that the VXL Esc doesn't have a cooling fan, should one be installed? Thanks.

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

If you want to be able to use the stock pinion(which I would) then you want a 540 size motor with 3mm shaft.

The traxxas VXL motor has a bit more RPMs and more torque than the stock motor and will bolt right in. I have installed that motor on a volcano.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:29 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: jbain2

Which VXL system are you referring to? Also, I noticed that the VXL Esc doesn't have a cooling fan, should one be installed? Thanks.

The VXL system that comes in the rustler/pede VXL.
The ESC doesnt come stock with a fan, but its not needed unless you want to run a 3s lipo.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:36 PM
jbain2

The VXL ESC has the proprietary Traxxas connectors. I have all banana plugs on my batteries. Am I better off running an adapter or converting the ESC battery connector to banana plugs or vice versa, converting the batteries to the Traxxas connectors if I upgrade?
Old 01-19-2012, 04:59 PM
wildbills rc
My Feedback: (1)

So I can just buy a traxxas vxl stampede motor and it will go right into my caldera 10e with no issues??????????
Old 01-23-2012, 07:19 AM
jbain2

So I installed the Traxxas VXL system in my Caldera as well as a new Traxxas servo. The install was pretty easy. The biggest challenge is finding space for everything. The Traxxas ESC is larger and takes up a bit more space. I have it mounted with plastic superlock which I got from Radio Shack. I had to mount the reciever on top of the center frame. I wanted to get everything in and test it out. Everything is functioning well. Haven't had a chance to really take it out and put it to a good test. The ESC is less programmable than the stock one. The other modification that I had to make was to convert the ESC battery connectors to bannana plugs from the Traxxas style. Overall, pretty easy install to do.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:33 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: jbain2

So I installed the Traxxas VXL system in my Caldera as well as a new Traxxas servo. The install was pretty easy. The biggest challenge is finding space for everything. The Traxxas ESC is larger and takes up a bit more space. I have it mounted with plastic superlock which I got from Radio Shack. I had to mount the reciever on top of the center frame. I wanted to get everything in and test it out. Everything is functioning well. Haven't had a chance to really take it out and put it to a good test. The ESC is less programmable than the stock one. The other modification that I had to make was to convert the ESC battery connectors to bannana plugs from the Traxxas style. Overall, pretty easy install to do.
1 thing you will want to keep in mind is that since the VXL esc does not have adjustable punch control like the stock ESC...and the caldera does not have a slipper clutch(as the traxxas trucks do) you will need to keep in mind that pulling that trigger really quick could result in a stipped spur if the tires get enough traction. Your finger will have to be the punch control. Also, since the vxl esc and motor are high amperage than the stock ones, they put out more low end punch.
Im not saying the caldera wont handle the extra power, just keep in mind that since you have more power you will want to ease on the throttle a bit and not just peg it from a standstill.

another idea is to switch to the traxxas radio...which has a 70/30 throttle setting. that makes it much easier to control how much throttle you are giving it.

Traxxas has NEVER cared about making their ESC's small. most other companies do try to keepem small. but the xl-1/ xl-5 and vxl esc's are all fairly big.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:31 AM
jbain2

Thanks for the tip. I figured that as I couldn't program the ESC I would be stuck with the Traxxas settings regarding throttle, punch and brake. I know that there are 3 modes that can be programmed, but none of them controls the above factors.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:09 PM
wildbills rc
My Feedback: (1)

let us know how much faster it is!!!