Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

New Tornado S30 Owner Needs Help

Recently purchased my first RC car for my son and my self. Question is, during break in period I noticed my car "pulled" to one side as i was driving. later when cleaning it I noticed that when I turn both the rear wheels only one front wheel turned. Causes, soultions? Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Tornado S30 Owner Needs Help

when you turn 1 rear wheel...the other one should turn alittle in the opposite direction.

You could have a broken dogbone (driveshaft) but if that were the case then the rear wouldnt get any real power from the motor as the diff is open(and power will go to the side with no driveshaft)

Have you checked the steering trim on your radio?
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No I have not checked the steering trim, but I will. its when I turn both back wheels at once only one front wheel turns, the other acts like it wants to, kinda "bumps" if that makes any sense, but like you said if I turn one front wheel the other goes opposite, same for the rear.

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Have you checked to see if the dog bone is in the one wheel that does not turn? If you turn the one front wheel that does not turn does the other front wheel turn?
    Team Anaconda R/C Racing
    http://www.teamanaconda.com/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, sounds like your drivetrain is fine. the diffs are open, so if you turn both rear, then power will go to the front and turn the tire thats easiest to turn.

My guess is that either 1 wheel has some binding or the steering trim is off.

See if adjusting the steering trim helps...

and turn each wheel by hand and see if any of them is harder to turn.

On a tamiya buggy I had, you could over-tighten the wheel nut and make the wheel just alittle hard to turn. I would have to tighten the nut all the way, then back off 1/2 turn.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

On a tamiya buggy I had, you could over-tighten the wheel nut and make the wheel just alittle hard to turn. I would have to tighten the nut all the way, then back off 1/2 turn.
    My Tornado is like this. If you crank the wheels down they will bind. Also a steering issue I had was over-tightening the lock nut that holds the screws into the steering knuckles. These are the screws that hold the steering knuckle to the control arms. If the lock nut is too tight, the steering will bind.
    SELLING MONSOON XTR WITH UPGRADED AND LOTS OF SPARE PARTS - PM FOR DETAILS
    Caldera 10e : Volcano EPX : Monsoon XTR : Sumo x2 :

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great advice, thank y'all very much.  I'll check out all the suggetions this weekend when I install an electric start on my sons car.  Thanks again