Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

metal spur gear

do they sale a metal spur gear for the caldera 10e? looked around did not find one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: metal spur gear

i would leave it stock with the .8 module gears, they're cheep, fast, quiet, and i've never had to replace one. if you absolutley must have steel the ones for the volcano epx pro and others based on that same chassis will fit. but you will also have to go to a .6 mod pinion as well (.6 mod is also called metric 48 pitch, not the same as 48 pitch, or tamiya pitch).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I can't find the info but if your pinion gear is ANYTHING but steel that will need upgrade as well. I upgraded to steel on my Aftershock 8E and it would eat a brass pinion in 15 minutes. Come on Redcat if you're going to sell us a steel spur let people know what that will do to their pinions. Robinson Racing and Losi have some real nice steel pinion gears. Since switching to steel my problems have gone away and the car is super quiet.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree with rccrazer.  Don't just jump on the steel spur gear bandwagon unless you think there is a good reason for it.  If your lash is correct your plastic gear will last along time.  There will always be circumstances where a good crash will move your motor and you'll wind up with a chewed up spur, but even with the steel gear, if left un-checked it will destroy the pinion or other drivetrain parts.  If your constantly replacing spur gears, investigate a little further and find out why.  I have both steel and plastic in different trucks and the plastic one's have less drag and will last just as long.  The steel gear in my Monsoon was so hard that instead of stripping, two teeth came clean off in different spots from some hard landings off a ramp.  Either way if I had a plastic spur it would have stripped, the steel broke.  Hard impacts are going to do damage.
    SELLING MONSOON XTR WITH UPGRADED AND LOTS OF SPARE PARTS - PM FOR DETAILS
    Caldera 10e : Volcano EPX : Monsoon XTR : Sumo x2 :

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rccrazer

i would leave it stock with the .8 module gears, they're cheep, fast, quiet, and i've never had to replace one. if you absolutley must have steel the ones for the volcano epx pro and others based on that same chassis will fit. but you will also have to go to a .6 mod pinion as well (.6 mod is also called metric 48 pitch, not the same as 48 pitch, or tamiya pitch).
    the epx pro's spurs will fit the caldera??? I thought the caldera/8e's/shredders all shared the same chassis and were not compatible with any of the epx chassis parts.

but as mentioned above, steel spur's are loud....will require a stronger pinon gear....and if the ESC is tuned (punch control setting) then the stock spur will be just fine.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,