Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

problem with steering linkage

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 04:53 AM
bdyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with steering linkage

ok so it seems i just cant win lately with the volcano so i get my new esc im up and running im playing around and then the wheels dont turn im like ***!!!
i take a look at the bellcrank i believe the part from servo to tie rods well it keeps getting loose, i tighten the crap out of it turn the wheels and its loose again
i dunno what else to do with this truck getting very frustrated at all the problems i have been having
Old 02-11-2012, 05:38 AM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: problem with steering linkage

ORIGINAL: bdyman

i take a look at the bellcrank i believe the part from servo to tie rods well it keeps getting loose, i tighten the crap out of it turn the wheels and its loose again
You said "the part from the servo to tie rods" There is only a linkage rod there between the steering servo and the servo saver. What is coming loose? You have the servo horn which is the part thats screwed onto the servo itself. Then it has a linkage rod connected between the horn and the steering servo. When you say bellcrank are you talking about the servo saver which is tied into the front steering assembly? It's the part with the adjustment wheel on it. If it's set too loose the wheels will not turn. You'll see the servo push the linkage rod to the servo saver, but then the servo saver will not turn the steering linkage. If you can post a pic of what is coming loose.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:30 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the servo saver, allows the servo to turn without turning the wheels when the wheels are stuck against something or when the wheels recieve an impact.

There is a thumb adjustment on it....screw it down and the servo saver is tightened. if its to far up, (unscrewed) then the servo will turn without the movement transfered to the wheels.

Then there is the servo horn. sometimes the splines on either the servo's output or on the inside of the servo horn can become stripped. no matter how hard you tighten the screw that holds on the servo horn, it wont put the power of the servo to the servo horn....thus wheels wont turn.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79046.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1725610  
Old 02-11-2012, 10:18 PM
bdyman

yes correct guys,  its the thumb adjustment screw  thats what keeps going loose,  im always making it tight,  and it keeps going loose
 why???
Old 02-12-2012, 08:37 AM
ShredderGuy

Use some loctite on it. It won't come lose them.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:19 PM
bdyman

got it  ill try it
thanks
Old 02-15-2012, 04:25 PM
bdyman

ok so i tried thread lock  and it didnt work
  now i dont want to buy a new bell crank  there is nothing wrong with the one on the truck
 so now what do i do ??
Old 02-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Dads like rc too

ok so i tried thread lock and it didnt work
now i dont want to buy a new bell crank there is nothing wrong with the one on the truck
so now what do i do ??
Sometimes the way the steering linkage is set up it binds on the adjustment knob and actually loosens it as you turn. Also there should be a through bolt that goes from the bottom of the chassis thru the servo saver with a nut on top. This seems to be where your problem might be. It should tighten down without binding the servo saver. It sounds like it's too tight and causing the servo saver adjustment knob to loosen up when it turns.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:17 PM
bdyman

right thats exactly what its doing,   how can i stop it,  i just switched to traxxas brushless system and wow its a different truck   and im ready for the track  but the steering issue   so how can i fix what  you described
Old 02-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Dads like rc too

right thats exactly what its doing, how can i stop it, i just switched to traxxas brushless system and wow its a different truck and im ready for the track but the steering issue so how can i fix what you described
here are some pics of my servo saver from my Tornado. Looking in the manual they look smilar. Is it possible your adjustment knob is missing a washer between the top plate and the knob itself? Does it look like yours is setup like mine? Take it apart and look at it real good. I bet you figure it out once you start trying to get it back together again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15401.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1727540   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44312.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1727541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57714.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1727542  
Old 02-15-2012, 08:52 PM
bdyman

thats the exact same set up on mine,  so your saying im missing the washer??   if so im sure i can find one at work or in my tool box at the shop
 im a bodyman so im sure i have a washer,     its frustrating to me becasue i never had to deal with some many issues on a rc truck before
   i just want to go racing, or some bashing  and i cant because its always breaking on me
Old 02-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Dads like rc too

did you figure it out? I was thinking if it's too tight it will want to loosen when steering.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:11 PM
bdyman

nope, loose or tight still a problem so now what do i do??
Old 02-19-2012, 02:33 PM
Dads like rc too

I wish I could do more to help.  The only thing I can think of is something is binding in the servo saver assembly itself to make the thumbwheel adjuster move.  Have you tried disassembling it yet?  I wouldn't be surprised if something was missing, maybe a spacer or washer? The top plate should have something between it and the movable link so that it does not bind.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:45 PM
bdyman

i switched to a spektrum reciever and it came with a servo a strong servo, the servo saver is moving freely, nothing binding up 
 so i guess ill break down the steering linkage and see what happens
  or is there a different bell crank  that is compatable with the red cat
Old 02-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Dads like rc too

i switched to a spektrum reciever and it came with a servo a strong servo, the servo saver is moving freely, nothing binding up
so i guess ill break down the steering linkage and see what happens
or is there a different bell crank that is compatable with the red cat
I thought the original problem was the servo saver adjustment wheel kept loosening causing the steering to not work? It sounds like now your saying it wouldn't turn because it was too tight, but now a stronger servo is making it turn? Do I have that right? If that's the case, remove the servo linkage from the steering linkage and turn it by hand. Something has been snugged up too much which is probablly binding the steering linkage. Or is the servo saver adjustment wheel too tight now? Make sure you find the bind. You don't want to burn up your new servo.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:31 PM
bdyman

lol no its not that, its the bell crank, the pics and your posts above is what isnt working,  and i took everything apart took it out side for a test and the bell crank just loosens right up

Old 02-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Dads like rc too

ok, I'm stumped and mad!  I wish I could take that thing apart and look at it.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:53 PM
bdyman

LOL!!!!!!
  trust me i feel the same way,   im stuck in a hard place, a part of me wants to sell it, but i cant it was a gift from my fiance, and i know i can fix it and make it a awesome truck       i resolved the electronic issues, and no i just need to resolve the steering issue