Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

redcat may be a mistake

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 07:31 PM
jaquo2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default redcat may be a mistake

I just recieved my caldera 10e first thing i did was try to program esc no lights would work will not do anything. Turned car on everything works but still need to program to work properly... first run hit a curb at half speed broke front knuckle. Redcat said to send in esc so they could look at it good thing i bought this to look at it why the hell would i want to use it!!!! So needless to say just got my new batteries i ordered and now my car sits broke as hell. REGRET made in china thats what i get for being cheap.... This truck is (suppose) to be made for bashing the only place i will jump this is in the sand!!!! and it will probably break there to!!!
Old 02-17-2012, 10:24 PM
JRockZ

Default RE: redcat may be a mistake

ORIGINAL: jaquo2

I just recieved my caldera 10e first thing i did was try to program esc no lights would work will not do anything. Turned car on everything works but still need to program to work properly... first run hit a curb at half speed broke front knuckle. Redcat said to send in esc so they could look at it good thing i bought this to look at it why the hell would i want to use it!!!! So needless to say just got my new batteries i ordered and now my car sits broke as hell. REGRET made in china thats what i get for being cheap.... This truck is (suppose) to be made for bashing the only place i will jump this is in the sand!!!! and it will probably break there to!!!
Wow i find that hard to believe but what temprature is it outside where your at???when you sayyou broke a knuckle what exactly doe sthat mean?which knuckle?

ive jumped mine 8-10ft in the air came down sideways landed on the right front and nothing broke, well except the cheap a s s body.

The screws at the bottom of the c-hubs are notorious for falling out/coming loose is it possible thats whats happened to yours?
Can you post a pic of the damage?? as long as your enjoying looking at it may as well show off the damage right lol.

Im throughly impressed wiith my caldera however it seems to run to hot like WAYHOT!!, i also emailed redcat in hope they would send me a new motor (of course they wont but hey it was worth a shot) and i could send the "Hot " one back,, They told me the same as you send us the truck,, heck id rather run it till the motor does go then just swap in a different motor.

Mine ran ok without programing the esc, i manually programmed mine with no problems but its for sure not easy,,,, infact i need to re- do it again.

Is your RX/TXcalibrated? if so also make sure b4 you try to manually program the esc that your trim is set so your throttle is neutral, i found mine to be touchy if i dont have the trim just right even though the truck doesnt move you can hear that its outting power to the motor. The LED's are also hard to see being that they are on the side of the ESC you may need to remove your reciever box cover to be able to see what the lights are doing.
Good luck with it and please post a decent pics of whats broke if you can it may actually be an easy no parts needed fix.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:26 AM
triumph 67

I raise hell with mine and dont baby it at all my stock truck has not broke yet impressed.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:46 AM
edgeverse

I agree that this is quite hard to believe. When I first got my redcat (earthquake 8e), my wife and I went to a soccer field, I then punched it full throttle, hit a parking meter that was in the a nearby parking lot, my truck went 10-15 ft in the air, landed on its back. I rushed to it and took the body off to see what damage I did and all i did was crack the upper center differential which was eaily replaced for cheap and harldy any effort to replace.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:16 AM
jaquo2

Well my camera batterry is shot at the moment... But where the screw usually falls out where it connects to the knuckle is broken it split the plastic right in half the screw did fall out only because there was no plastic to hold it in! It was 41 degrees and it broke less than five minutes after being inside all day so.... I ordered the metal ones. I am not sending my esc in untill i at least get to run it a few more times, to see what else breaks. It has the servo that everyone says is junk in it so hopefully that breaks so i can send them both in! Also i took the cover off and was in a fairly dark place just to make sure and no lights work on the esc unless the truck is on
Old 02-18-2012, 11:06 AM
JRockZ

ok so that would be the C-hub that broke,, i drove mine 2-3 packs without there even being a screw in there and i couldnt break it lol.

Good thing about "metal" as you call it, actually aluminum,, is they wont break, the bad part is they may bend and bending them back just weakens them and since that area will no longer give flex the stress now gets sent out to other parts, i think for what you paid for aluminum parts you could have bought a crap load of the plastic ones and just replace them as needed but i dont think that area usually breaks, what happend with yours sounds like it just happend to get hit just right that it broke, normally i think thats uncommon.

If you have the bad servo just call them now they will send you a new one b4 yours breaks (or thats what i was told anyhow) then again see my post on the HexFly servo they send as a replacement,,, its junk!!! same crap as the original. So you maybe better off to spend 30 bucks and get you a decent Hi Tech 645Mg servo or spend a lil more and get a good savox servo.

As i said earlier about the ESC you may just have to make room to see the led's and take your time trying to program it, if you were able to program some of it you should be able to program everything else.

Good luck with it hang in there you wont regret it im sure if you just get a few of the kinks worked out.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know, sometimes things happen that you have to relate to purchase price.  These cars are way cheaper in price than a lot of stuff out there.  Go buy a E Revo  for $670 and more than likely the ESC won't give you any problems.  I have a Caldera 10E and also stripped out the front steering knuckles several times.  This was the only weak spot I've had on the truck.  After replacing them with the factory replacements I eventually swapped them over to aluminum.  Since doing that last August the only thing that has broken since has been the front bumper post and a stripped spur gear.  Considering you can buy one of these trucks on ebay for around $180 shipped, I'll keep on trucking with my Redcats.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:31 AM
jaquo2

No it was the steering arm. I never programmed the esc the car worked out of the box the esc never did. I thought about buying a few plastic ones instead for same reason i guess ill see. Yes i too agree that i probably hit the curb at a perfect angle all in all still dissapointed so far

Old 02-18-2012, 11:36 AM
JRockZ

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too
I don't know, sometimes things happen that you have to relate to purchase price. These cars are way cheaper in price than a lot of stuff out there. Go buy a E Revo for $670 and more than likely the ESC won't give you any problems. I have a Caldera 10E and also stripped out the front steering knuckles several times. This was the only weak spot I've had on the truck. After replacing them with the factory replacements I eventually swapped them over to aluminum. Since doing that last August the only thing that has broken since has been the front bumper post and a stripped spur gear. Considering you can buy one of these trucks on ebay for around $180 shipped, I'll keep on trucking with my Redcats.
Thats great to hear!! I noticed you watching the forum Dads i was wondering if you would chime in,,, Also very good to know that the aluminum parts fix the problem.
Ive always been leary of adding aluminum parts for fear that something else may break.
I agree that spending 670 buck + on an erevo is a bit absured,, i used to love traxxas back in the day but now a days i think they are over rated and way over priced,,, Ill stick with the odd balls like red cat, himoto, ofna etc,,,
Old 02-18-2012, 11:39 AM
JRockZ

ORIGINAL: jaquo2

No it was the steering arm. I never programmed the esc the car worked out of the box the esc never did.

Ahhh ok thanks for the clarification,,, If the ESC works then you shouldnt have any probems,,, maybe worth it to just buy the programming card for it as opposed to maunally programming it.