Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Removing Tires on Tornado S30?

Reply
Old 02-18-2012, 03:01 PM
  #1
Zlash03
Thread Starter
 
Zlash03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 98
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Removing Tires on Tornado S30?



Im planning on getting some dish wheels for this car but how do I get the tires off the rims? I took the wheel off and tried to take the tire off but its glued or something. Any Ideas? Or is it not supposed to come off?

Zlash03 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:04 PM
  #2
JohnP2
 
JohnP2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 1,163
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Removing Tires on Tornado S30?

I would suggest ordering tires with the wheels, as yes they are glued on. Ifyou want to remove the tires from the wheels, you can boil/bake them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxnRwRaora0

You're going to have to glue them on anyway, so suggest to go ahead and buy some tires to go with your new wheels. This way you can easily swap out tire/wheel combo. I hope this helps.
JohnP2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:06 PM
  #3
Zlash03
Thread Starter
 
Zlash03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 98
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Removing Tires on Tornado S30?

Oh ok. Ill just order ones that have tires also. Thanks for telling me that.
Zlash03 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:30 PM
  #4
wildbill1981
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: , IL
Posts: 10
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Removing Tires on Tornado S30?

i just had to order some new wheels and tires for my tonadoBB the center broke out of it so i ordered some dish rims and street tread tires. i mostly drive this buggy on the road and stuff so i like the 2speed but is there a taller tire that will work with my car..im gonna be taking my buggy to my local dirt track for stock cars and want to have more top end i think it will be a blast the owner said we can go when ever we want so me and some friends are gonna do some racing of our own..lol ...is there a bigger motor i can buy for this buggy as well? if so whats the best to get...and one more question is the stock rims the shortest rims that will fit, if there is smaller ones that u know please inform me i would like them for better acc when driving around the house and stuff....thanks in advance...also i was wondering if u can find out if my 1year warranty is up i know it kinda close....reason i ask is i already had to buy a throtle servo,,,,now my steering servo is getting really slow at turning and makes it hard to control would these be covered under that warenty...my name is bill seward u should have me on file i just got a idle screw from redcat about a month ago
wildbill1981 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:49 AM
  #5
Dads like rc too
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: myrtle beach, SC
Posts: 754
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Removing Tires on Tornado S30?


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Zlash03



Im planning on getting some dish wheels for this car but how do I get the tires off the rims? I took the wheel off and tried to take the tire off but its glued or something. Any Ideas? Or is it not supposed to come off?

put them in an already heated oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Take them out and you can just pop them off the rims. The bead will look like new.
Dads like rc too is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:02 AM
  #6
Dads like rc too
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: myrtle beach, SC
Posts: 754
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Removing Tires on Tornado S30?


Quote:
ORIGINAL: wildbill1981

i just had to order some new wheels and tires for my tonadoBB the center broke out of it so i ordered some dish rims and street tread tires. i mostly drive this buggy on the road and stuff so i like the 2speed but is there a taller tire that will work with my car..im gonna be taking my buggy to my local dirt track for stock cars and want to have more top end i think it will be a blast the owner said we can go when ever we want so me and some friends are gonna do some racing of our own..lol ...is there a bigger motor i can buy for this buggy as well? if so whats the best to get...and one more question is the stock rims the shortest rims that will fit, if there is smaller ones that u know please inform me i would like them for better acc when driving around the house and stuff....thanks in advance...also i was wondering if u can find out if my 1year warranty is up i know it kinda close....reason i ask is i already had to buy a throtle servo,,,,now my steering servo is getting really slow at turning and makes it hard to control would these be covered under that warenty...my name is bill seward u should have me on file i just got a idle screw from redcat about a month ago
I went through the same thing with my tornado. First off, mine ran faster in first then second. The engine is plenty powerful enough, just second gear needs to be 1 or 2 teeth bigger. So I eventually just tightened the shifting clutch screw and it would just stay in 1st gear. There was much better response at higher speeds since the engine was in it's higher rpm's compared to the lagging low rpm's of 2nd gear. As far as top speed goes, 1st gear was fast enough that it would almost be out of control for it's short and narrow wheelbase. It was running approx just over 40mph.

Wanting to modify your accel rate is also tricky with the two speed. Used to be you could use the HPI threaded clutch bell and use their gears since Redcat offers no alternative, but HPI does not sell their two speed gears any smaller than a 15 tooth anymore. The pinnion gears need to be 5 teeth apart to mesh properly. I was trying to modify mine to a 13/18 clutch bell setup but couldn't find these gears anywhere.

I eventually replaced the two speed with a volcano single speed. I wanted to use the shockwave single speed and just change the spur gear to a bigger gear, but after contacting Redcat they said no other gears were available for that either. So I wound up using the Volcano tranny with a HPI 18 tooth clutch bell. This allowed me to add larger 2.8 rims and tires for more ground clearance. I also added the volcano axel stubs which are longer and the Volcano double hex nuts to try and widen the wheel base a little. Here's a before and after pic.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77664.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1729011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33713.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1729012  
Dads like rc too is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:49 PM
  #7
Zlash03
Thread Starter
 
Zlash03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 98
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Removing Tires on Tornado S30?


Quote:
ORIGINAL: wildbill1981

i just had to order some new wheels and tires for my tonadoBB the center broke out of it so i ordered some dish rims and street tread tires. i mostly drive this buggy on the road and stuff so i like the 2speed but is there a taller tire that will work with my car..im gonna be taking my buggy to my local dirt track for stock cars and want to have more top end i think it will be a blast the owner said we can go when ever we want so me and some friends are gonna do some racing of our own..lol ...is there a bigger motor i can buy for this buggy as well? if so whats the best to get...and one more question is the stock rims the shortest rims that will fit, if there is smaller ones that u know please inform me i would like them for better acc when driving around the house and stuff....thanks in advance...also i was wondering if u can find out if my 1year warranty is up i know it kinda close....reason i ask is i already had to buy a throtle servo,,,,now my steering servo is getting really slow at turning and makes it hard to control would these be covered under that warenty...my name is bill seward u should have me on file i just got a idle screw from redcat about a month ago
Anyway you could send me a link to the ones you bought?
Zlash03 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:23 PM
  #8
wildbill1981
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: , IL
Posts: 10
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Removing Tires on Tornado S30?

here's a link for the rims just call the number thats below the pics of the front rims and they will set u up with the rear as well rims are on sale for 11 bucks i think it says on the right hand side some where

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3344&search=Go

wildbill1981 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:20 PM
  #9
wildbill1981
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: , IL
Posts: 10
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Removing Tires on Tornado S30?

also those rims are 11 bucks for 4 of them just gotem today!!!!
wildbill1981 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:15 AM
  #10
Scooter B
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: slidell, LA
Posts: 23
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Removing Tires on Tornado S30?


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too


Quote:
ORIGINAL: wildbill1981

i just had to order some new wheels and tires for my tonadoBB the center broke out of it so i ordered some dish rims and street tread tires. i mostly drive this buggy on the road and stuff so i like the 2speed but is there a taller tire that will work with my car..im gonna be taking my buggy to my local dirt track for stock cars and want to have more top end i think it will be a blast the owner said we can go when ever we want so me and some friends are gonna do some racing of our own..lol ...is there a bigger motor i can buy for this buggy as well? if so whats the best to get...and one more question is the stock rims the shortest rims that will fit, if there is smaller ones that u know please inform me i would like them for better acc when driving around the house and stuff....thanks in advance...also i was wondering if u can find out if my 1year warranty is up i know it kinda close....reason i ask is i already had to buy a throtle servo,,,,now my steering servo is getting really slow at turning and makes it hard to control would these be covered under that warenty...my name is bill seward u should have me on file i just got a idle screw from redcat about a month ago
I went through the same thing with my tornado. First off, mine ran faster in first then second. The engine is plenty powerful enough, just second gear needs to be 1 or 2 teeth bigger. So I eventually just tightened the shifting clutch screw and it would just stay in 1st gear. There was much better response at higher speeds since the engine was in it's higher rpm's compared to the lagging low rpm's of 2nd gear. As far as top speed goes, 1st gear was fast enough that it would almost be out of control for it's short and narrow wheelbase. It was running approx just over 40mph.

Wanting to modify your accel rate is also tricky with the two speed. Used to be you could use the HPI threaded clutch bell and use their gears since Redcat offers no alternative, but HPI does not sell their two speed gears any smaller than a 15 tooth anymore. The pinnion gears need to be 5 teeth apart to mesh properly. I was trying to modify mine to a 13/18 clutch bell setup but couldn't find these gears anywhere.

I eventually replaced the two speed with a volcano single speed. I wanted to use the shockwave single speed and just change the spur gear to a bigger gear, but after contacting Redcat they said no other gears were available for that either. So I wound up using the Volcano tranny with a HPI 18 tooth clutch bell. This allowed me to add larger 2.8 rims and tires for more ground clearance. I also added the volcano axel stubs which are longer and the Volcano double hex nuts to try and widen the wheel base a little. Here's a before and after pic.

Wow, that looks mean. What wheels and tires are in the before photo?
Scooter B is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:52 PM
  #11
Dads like rc too
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: myrtle beach, SC
Posts: 754
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Removing Tires on Tornado S30?

[/quote]

Wow, that looks mean. What wheels and tires are in the before photo?
[/quote]
They're HPI 2.2 rims with ProLine speed hawgs

Dads like rc too is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:08 PM.