Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Problem With Lightning EPX Pro, FLashing ESC?

Hello and thanks in advance for any advice/input. My FIL purhcased a Lightning EXP Pro for my son a couple weeks ago and we're experiencing some problems with acceleration. The car runs fine for a 5-10 seconds then no acceleration. I took the body off and ran it while holding and noticed there was a solid red LEDon what I believe is the ESC .When the car stops accelerating the LED starts flashing red. Any advice what the problem might be?

Thanks again!!!
    Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Problem With Lightning EPX Pro, FLashing ESC?

I have the same car.
    The 2000 MAH NiMH battery Redcat sent with it is absolutely worthless!!!

You can try to set the speed control so that the low voltage shut off does not kick in (it comes set from the factory ready to run Lipo)......but IWOULDNOTBOTHER.
    I set mine so it did not cut off and I still had the exact same problem you are having (look at my other posts from a few weeks ago, I went through your exact saga).

My next step was to buy a Venom 4000 MAH NiMH battery, about $40 and a very good brand. This helped my issue somewhat. I could get beter/full throttle response for longer but after a few mins I would still run into issues where the car would slow/cut off/erratic bursts of speed.

The only way to fix it is to switch to a Lipo battery. I finally did and LOVEthe car now. I was reluctant because of the **possible** safety issues with Lipo batteries and the fact I was not really ready for a 40+mph car. The car drives perfect on the Lipo. I have a 5000Mah 2S Lipo and I am able to run about 30-45 mins of bashing with perfect full throttle response for the entire time until the low voltage safety cut off on the speed controller kicks in. You can turn the throttle setting back on the transmitter and really cut back the top speed if you are worried about the speed.

The only other option if you want to keep with a NiMH battery is to maybe switch to a brushed motor that does not need as much "punch" power as the brushless they come with.

I store my Lipo battery at the recommended 3.8 volts per cell (my charger actually has a "storage" mode and will balance the cells at the perfect 3.8 volts). I keep it in a Lipo safety charge bag and put that inside of a 1 hour fireproof safe and in the middle of a concrete floor in my basement. A little over kill? Maybe but I sleep well at night. There are some horror stories out there about these Lipos but man they have a ton of power!

you can read about my saga and read the replies that may help you as well.
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10927971/tm.htm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Problem With Lightning EPX Pro, FLashing ESC?

Here is the Lipo I bought...comes with the correct plug you need (that was the other issue I ran into when buying the Venom NiMH from the local store......I had to order the correct plug and solder it on......when it showed up a week later).

http://www.hobbypartz.com./98p-40c-5...se-direct.html